Confirmed with Link: Rangers sign Daniel Paille

surlysailor

May 12, 2012
BK
According to Ryan Kennedy on Twitter: Waiting on details, but sounds like the New York Rangers have signed Daniel Paille.

https://mobile.twitter.com/THNRyanKennedy/status/690142723970633729

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
According to Ryan Kennedy on Twitter: Waiting on details, but sounds like the New York Rangers have signed Daniel Paille.

https://mobile.twitter.com/THNRyanKennedy/status/690142723970633729

Apparently he's been playing in Rockford in the AHL and not being productive at all. Good size and a really good skater. Rangers might be looking at him as a potential pk'er. He is good defensively. IMO our forwards are every bit as much an issue on the penalty kill as our defensemen. Not sure if Gorton knows him from his Boston days.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
It'll be interesting to see if true, but currently, he has 4 points in 31 AHL games.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Wolf Pack/depth signing. By all indications he doesn't have a lot left in the tank.

Possibly--but IMO not likely. Paille must have been on an AHL contract. Who signs a winger who will be 32 years old in a couple months to be a depth forward on their AHL team? Hartford has more than enough depth anyway and they've been winning besides. IMO the Rangers are at the least serious about taking a look at Paille and Megna is the guy he potentially replaces. My guess is they're going to see what he does in a couple and practices and if they like him he'll be the 13th forward--potential penalty killer.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
It'll be interesting to see if true, but currently, he has 4 points in 31 AHL games.

He's like a more veteran version of Megna. About the same size. Really good wheels. Megna's been known as a pk'er in the AHL but the Rangers haven't used him for that. Maybe AV doesn't think he knows Megna enough to trust him doing that whereas Paille's been killing penalties in the NHL for a long time. 4th line wing--penalty killer is what Paille might bring to the Rangers.

Not sure there's a Boston connection with Gorton. Paille is one of Dan Girardi's buddies from Welland Ont.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
He's like a more veteran version of Megna. About the same size. Really good wheels. Megna's been known as a pk'er in the AHL but the Rangers haven't used him for that. Maybe AV doesn't think he knows Megna enough to trust him doing that whereas Paille's been killing penalties in the NHL for a long time. 4th line wing--penalty killer is what Paille might bring to the Rangers.

Not sure there's a Boston connection with Gorton. Paille is one of Dan Girardi's buddies from Welland Ont.

It'd be interesting to see for sure. I haven't seen Paille play this year, so I'm not going to make any guesses on whether or not he's capable of playing 4th line NHL minutes, but he's been a good 4th liner in the past and a pain in the ass to play against. I wouldn't mind having a spark plug/energy guy on the 4th line

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
It'd be interesting to see for sure. I haven't seen Paille play this year, so I'm not going to make any guesses on whether or not he's capable of playing 4th line NHL minutes, but he's been a good 4th liner in the past and a pain in the ass to play against. I wouldn't mind having a spark plug/energy guy on the 4th line

AV has been happy with the 4th line and Paille isn't a top 9 forward. They might give him a short look but I think he's a spare part.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Hopefully this is an AHL deal. Even then I question why.

Doubt seriously it's an AHL contract. I checked general fanager and he's not listed as a Blackhawks contract so he must have already been on an AHL deal with Rockford. What's in it for him to move to Hartford on another AHL deal? Is it even allowable to go from an AHL deal with one team to an AHL deal with another in the same season?

....and I don't get why the Rangers would sign an almost 32 year old winger just to stick him in Hartford. I'm also getting the sense that the Rangers aren't completely satisfied with how Megna's played in the last couple games.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Doubt seriously it's an AHL contract. I checked general fanager and he's not listed as a Blackhawks contract so he must have already been on an AHL deal with Rockford. What's in it for him to move to Hartford on another AHL deal? Is it even allowable to go from an AHL deal with one team to an AHL deal with another in the same season?

....and I don't get why the Rangers would sign an almost 32 year old winger just to stick him in Hartford. I'm also getting the sense that the Rangers aren't completely satisfied with how Megna's played in the last couple games.

Yeah you're right, it wouldn't make sense. He could have been on a couple PTOs and received his release, but that seems unlikely.

EDIT: Maybe it's not so unlikely. He was on a PTO to this point. Maybe he wanted a change of scenery with a chance to win an NHL deal with the Rangers. It could be an NHL deal, but knowing he was previously on a PTO I'm not so sure.

Last edited:

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
This is the accountability we need - make Jayson Megna pay for his poor play. make him pay!

If it's for Glass, fine. Otherwise, get lost with this.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I am thinking he's a depth signing. With Etem gone and Megna already up, if there are a couple of injuries who's playing? Hrivik? Bourque? Paille is a decent 4th line player who provides some energy and PKing. Not a lot of offense there but he knows his role. Better than trading a late pick for Sheppard last year, that's for sure.

BTW, where is James Sheppard, why not just sign him?

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Finally this is the move we've been waiting for......

Also Sheppard is playing overseas I believe

Thank you

Paille is like best friends with Girardi isn't he? Played together in the OHL? Or am I thinking of someone else?

Paille was the 3rd player who played on Julien's 4th line in Boston with Campbell and Thornton for a while. Very effective player down low and on the boards. Never had a lot of offense.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Paille can kill penalties and the Rangers PK sucks. They have flexibility with their contracts. Paille is cheap which fits the cap. Whether Paille will help is a different story.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Sounds like a waste of a contract spot to me.

No doubt about it. I had to laugh seeing this as the big news of the morning. :laugh:

Hopefully this is an AHL deal. Even then I question why.

This. Hartford is bad, I'm not sure what he adds that will change that. He's definitely not going to help at the NHL level.

Former first rounder though, he's only 31! There's still time. :help:

NoQuitInNewMexico

Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol
Can't see Paille and Glass in the lineup together, don't think too many other teams have two completely non-scoring forwards out of 12. Would have liked to see Chad Nehring get a Rangers deal instead

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Thank you

Paille is like best friends with Girardi isn't he? Played together in the OHL? Or am I thinking of someone else?

Paille was the 3rd player who played on Julien's 4th line in Boston with Campbell and Thornton for a while. Very effective player down low and on the boards. Never had a lot of offense.

Paille and Andre Deveaux (who attacked that player in Sweden last year and got thrown out of the country) took part in the Girardi episode of MSG's Beginnings. They're all from Welland Ont. They grew up together--played on the same teams.

A first rounder if I remember right--his offensive game never developed as expected/hoped. Paille can really skate. He's been a very good defensive player. He was always a regular on the Bruins PK.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
The Rangers PK has been horrible lately. IMO it's not just the defenseman. There are too many bombs getting to the net from the point positions--too often those shots are coming from the middle not an angle. Other teams are looking at video and figuring us out. The forwards are not pressuring the point men enough. Too many shots getting through. There are deflections and rebounds and too much havoc in front of our goal. That is the main area where I think that Paille 'might' be able to help us or then again it might turn into a wasted signing.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Thank you

Paille and Andre Deveaux (who attacked that player in Sweden last year and got thrown out of the country) took part in the Girardi episode of MSG's Beginnings. They're all from Welland Ont. They grew up together--played on the same teams.

A first rounder if I remember right--his offensive game never developed as expected/hoped. Paille can really skate. He's been a very good defensive player. He was always a regular on the Bruins PK.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Lol, why?

I guess he could be better than Megna, who looked completely horrible last game.

Though, why not bring back James Sheppard, who knows the system?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad