Confirmed with Link: Rangers Sign Brendan Smith (4 years x $4.35M)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I really like what the guy brings. He can play both sides which is very helpful. The Rangers need to do everything within reason to keep this guy.

TomLaidlaw

Jan 4, 2007
Transylvania
I really like what the guy brings. He can play both sides which is very helpful. The Rangers need to do everything within reason to keep this guy.

I agree. Were there any rumors about the type of numbers Detroit offered him (if any) to stay there?

TomLaidlaw

Jan 4, 2007
Transylvania
I want to say he turned down 3.5 million a year for 3 years?

Makes sense. I'd be happy with him at $3,750,000/year for 4 years. A 5 year contract would take him to 33 yrs old. I think he would likely get 4 mill/yr for a minimum of 5 years if he tests the market. He may even get more term.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Did he turn that down or was that speculation about what his next contract will be? I'd easily sign him to 3-4 years around that price.

Also, wanted to add that I said I'd be happy if he could put up 6 points with us, and he's already got 3. He's already got more than half of his point total from when he was on Detroit (which isn't saying much) :laugh:

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
He may have also turned down Detroit's offer sensing that they're in decline. If he thinks Detroit has a rebuild ahead he may not want to lock himself into it.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I want to say he turned down 3.5 million a year for 3 years?

They had just started negotiations and that was believed to be what they were driving towards. I don't know if it was player driven or team driven but the beat writers in Detroit threw that number out. So hard to say, they got a big enough offer from New York that they took it and moved on.

Happy to see Smitty playing well and in front of a fan-base that appreciates his game. He was one of my favorites over the years, sadly became a big whipping boy for a ton of Wings fans.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
They had just started negotiations and that was believed to be what they were driving towards. I don't know if it was player driven or team driven but the beat writers in Detroit threw that number out. So hard to say, they got a big enough offer from New York that they took it and moved on.

Happy to see Smitty playing well and in front of a fan-base that appreciates his game. He was one of my favorites over the years, sadly became a big whipping boy for a ton of Wings fans.

Yes, we had one here in Del Zotto for bit. I'd say two years as the whipping boy.

The Rangers traditionally have had 1-2 over the decades, but with the advent of Corsi, that's multiplied into 3-5 on a given night throughout the season.

Smith's got a chance to be a very good player in NY. I like the edge to his game, the skating ability.

He does fumble when it comes to decision making, but as a 5v5 Player for the Rangers... He's in a very good position.

TheGuarantee

Jul 1, 2016
Guys got the offensive instincts of a mailbox, but love the way he plays in his own zone. I'd re-sign him.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
I like him a lot. Real skeptical they find the money to re-sign him though. I'd also be very hesitant to go over 4 million for him. Would easily give him 3.75 for 3/4 years and not think twice

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
Don't think I'm ready to dive in on signing this guy just yet. He's only been here for 13 games, and has done nothing extraordinary. Nothing bad, but nothing great. Need more time. Let's see how the rest of the year goes and how the Playoffs go.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Smith is one of two defensemen I don't want to choke slam these past few games. He's not amazing but he is exactly what this defense needed and we'd be utter fools to not try as hard as we can to bring him back.

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Don't think I'm ready to dive in on signing this guy just yet. He's only been here for 13 games, and has done nothing extraordinary. Nothing bad, but nothing great. Need more time. Let's see how the rest of the year goes and how the Playoffs go.

Agree.

Mainly because I've seen at least five penalties called on him for "tripping" when an opponent seemingly steps on his stick.

At that point, the penalties are being called on reputation.

Really don't want someone on the back end getting whistled for 40 "tripping" penalties a year, when maybe 10 of them are actual penalties.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013

Well, what qualifies as great for this player? Because overall he isn't the type to make a lot of WOW plays

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I think that he is exactly what he was in Detroit. A solid third pairing defenseman who can jump up and play the #4 role in a pinch but should not really be entrusted to play there for very long stretches of time.

Which is why I am interested in bringing him back, but his pay should reflect exactly who he is.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010

Trade Holden and re-sign Smith. They're similar players, but Smith is better, more reliable. Holden has been trash for a while. Smith is also better on the right than him. Use that 1.65 from Holden and 2.9 from Klein to retain him.

Maximize Holden's value. Move Klein for a pick, even if he picks up his game well enough. If this is played well by Gorton, we could be going into free agency with:

Signed: McDonagh, Skjei, Smith, Staal
Qualified: Clendening, Paliotta
Traded: Klein, Holden
Bought Out: Girardi

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I like Smith but dont overpay or over commit on years. Ideally he is our 3rd pairing LH dman. Try to sign for 2-4 years. No 5 year deal.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
He's a top 4 D-man at worst.

I think that is sort of the debate, some don't think he is a top 4 D, and even if he is, those top 4 D contracts get pretty expensive. So hypothetically say he is a #4 - #5, even those contracts get relatively expensive. Is that a good place to put the cap money, on a player who is a #4-#5?

On the Rangers since they are desperate maybe, but not sure that makes it a good contract or signing, or one that turns out where the players performance at least equals his cap hit.

I like Smith, he can skate, can move the puck a little, shows a backbone, but I'd have a difficult time coming up with a contract that I thought was "good" that he'd accept.

I think he'd be better as a LD, but even if they found a way out of the Staal deal, Smith still likely plays behind McD, Skjei.

On the right sure he is a top 4 on the Rangers, but if they ever fixed it? Does he play ahead of say Shattenkirk, and for an ideal example, the RD version of Skjei (Honka, Montour or similar) ?

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I think that is sort of the debate, some don't think he is a top 4 D, and even if he is, those top 4 D contracts get pretty expensive. So hypothetically say he is a #4 - #5, even those contracts get relatively expensive. Is that a good place to put the cap money, on a player who is a #4-#5?

On the Rangers since they are desperate maybe, but not sure that makes it a good contract or signing, or one that turns out where the players performance at least equals his cap hit.

I like Smith, he can skate, can move the puck a little, shows a backbone, but I'd have a difficult time coming up with a contract that I thought was "good" that he'd accept.

I think he'd be better as a LD, but even if they found a way out of the Staal deal, Smith still likely plays behind McD, Skjei.

On the right sure he is a top 4 on the Rangers, but if they ever fixed it? Does he play ahead of say Shattenkirk, and for an ideal example, the RD version of Skjei (Honka, Montour or similar) ?

The only way Smith is a 3rd pair RD, is if we sign Shattenkirk and somehow trade for a guy like Manson/Trouba. I would be perfectly fine with the defense looking like this:

McDonagh-Smith
Skjei-Shattenkirk
Staal-Clendening

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
The only way Smith is a 3rd pair RD, is if we sign Shattenkirk and somehow trade for a guy like Manson/Trouba. I would be perfectly fine with the defense looking like this:

McDonagh-Smith
Skjei-Shattenkirk
Staal-Clendening

That is pretty expensive, include Girardi's buyout which is what I assume leads to those pairs and they are spending like ~25M or 1/3rd of the cap on that D core.

I think we see what the Rangers have on D and see ways to improve it by any means, it's not very good, but there should be some sort of idealism applied.

Smith playing top pair RD, I don't think that is ideal, nor Shattenkirk playing there. More ideal than Girardi, or McD, or Staal or whatever they throw in that spot, sure I see that too, but ideal in terms of what contender should have on D?

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
That is pretty expensive, include Girardi's buyout which is what I assume leads to those pairs and they are spending like ~25M or 1/3rd of the cap on that D core.

I think we see what the Rangers have on D and see ways to improve it by any means, it's not very good, but there should be some sort of idealism applied.

Smith playing top pair RD, I don't think that is ideal, nor Shattenkirk playing there. More ideal than Girardi, or McD, or Staal or whatever they throw in that spot, sure I see that too, but ideal in terms of what contender should have on D?
I think that it is very dangerous to pay him as if he is a legit 2nd pairing defenseman, when that has not defined his career so far. Sure, anything can happen at 28. Stralman also had a latter career resurgence. But considering that Smith has not been thought of in that 2nd pair slotting for most of his career, it is a high risk bet.

Honestly, I think that he has been solid but a player that on a team with a good defense, he is third pairing, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad