Confirmed with Link: Rangers sign Aaron Johnson (1 year, $600k)

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Could be wrong, but I don't remember a maximum total, spread among a bunch of contracts, that can be buried. I remember that idea being floated... but not sure.

I do know, for sure, than it's only the amounts over $925k that count against the cap when a one-way deal is in the minors. For Johnson, it isn't.

I think there might be vet restrictions in the AHL, ie like max 8 or 12 guys with x amount of pro games or something like that. No cap though.

Anything that goes on the cap is purely based on the individual contracts.

Apr 10, 2012
we're saved!!!! all hail the magic conch! lululululululu

i dont mind this as a depth signing, but now we have like 10 defenseman that can play... that feels ominous of something happening/someone moving/staal's seriousness

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
He makes below the $975k threshold, so even if he's sent to the minors there's no cap hit. Two-way just means he's paid differently depending on whether he's in the AHL or NHL.

thanks for clarifying guys. I know there is a max amount of vets you can have in the AHL. Technically Haley, Bickel, Johnson can all go to CT with no cap ramifications then which is real good

Asham and Powe would have hits but I have to think they are tradable if the Rangers take back a contract another team doesnt want that they can send to CT

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
I think there might be vet restrictions in the AHL, ie like max 8 or 12 guys with x amount of pro games or something like that. No cap though.

Anything that goes on the cap is purely based on the individual contracts.

http://cdn.rapidmanager.com/ahl/files/12_13_AHLRuleBook.pdf (page 9)

states that a team must dress atleast 12 players that have played fewer than 260 games in the nhl, ahl or european elite leagues prior to the season...

given how young the forwards will be i'm thinking that won't be an issue.

NSBruinFan

Jul 17, 2006
Cape Breton, NS
Johnson looked fine in the few games he played with the Bruins. He sat most of the season because the Bruin's D stayed healthy. Johnson is only a few games away from being able to collect the NHL pension. Check out his +- numbers with the Hawks a few years back. Great numbers until he got hurt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad