Post-Game Talk: Rangers @ Senators - Game 5 - May 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

3rd Guy High

Feb 17, 2010
That goal was Glass's fault. Somehow everyone is blaming Staal for it because he was near the net. I don't get it.

There's things to blame Staal for, that goal was not his fault.

Glass takes a huge portion of blame for not being in the passing lane, but Staal is absolutely at fault. Hes on the wrong side of the forward infront of the net. Turris, who is significantly smaller than him, beats him to the net and puck easily. Even though I don't believe he got a piece of it, he caused the chaos in front that lead to Staal being on his ass boxing out Lundqvist who then as a result couldn't move in his crease.

So 1) he had awful positioning, 2) laid down in the crease like a moron.

Some examples of good D positioning (just from google):
russias-defender-dmitry-kulikov-vies-with-swedens-forward-andreas-in-picture-id471081438

forward-hayden-mccool-of-the-windsor-spitfires-battles-in-front-of-picture-id518296264

Now notice Marc Staal (not circled, I stole the screencap from prior pages), in front of Turris (a position of weakness), instead of in between Turris and the net, where he would be in a position of strength.

We8c44B.jpg

Last edited:

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
We shouldn't be playing prevent defense with this roster, right now it doesn't even matter to me which player screwed up.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Now notice Marc Staal (not circled, I stole the screencap from prior pages), in front of Turris (a position of weakness), instead of in between Turris and the net, where he would be in a position of strength.
Fronting your man is a pretty common strategy. Easier to block the shot.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Glass takes a huge portion of blame for not being in the passing lane, but Staal is absolutely at fault. Hes on the wrong side of the forward infront of the net. Turris, who is significantly smaller than him, beats him to the net and puck easily. Even though I don't believe he got a piece of it, he caused the chaos in front that lead to Staal being on his ass boxing out Lundqvist who then as a result couldn't move in his crease.

So 1) he had awful positioning, 2) laid down in the crease like a moron.

Some examples of good D positioning (just from google):
russias-defender-dmitry-kulikov-vies-with-swedens-forward-andreas-in-picture-id471081438

forward-hayden-mccool-of-the-windsor-spitfires-battles-in-front-of-picture-id518296264

We8c44B.jpg

Yeah, I know what the criticism of Staal is on this play, but anytime there's a mad scramble, there's a lot of chaos, players get knocked down, into the goalie, things like that. This is especially true with a 6 on 5 at the end of the game where teams go all out. I just find it hard to actually blame him for that much here. It would've been nice if he pushed Turris out of the way and out of the play, but I don't believe Staal's actions were such a big contributing factor towards the goal. Just my opinion though.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
It's time to move on from Game 5...

Do or die time for this team. Win a game at home and go back to Ottawa for Game 7.

The coach isn't going to change. He's proven that he learns nothing. We just have to hope we have a good offensive showing and a solid defensive/goaltending performance.

The hardest win to get is the 4th. Ottawa has life, but will be feeling immense pressure to close it out at MSG.

Make it hard for them, and with a win you put all the pressure on them for Game 7.

Let's ****ing go.

nyrleetch

Aug 2, 2009
New York
For as bad as Kreider has been, I would only rank him 4th worst forward. (not counting Buch or Glass)

1. Hayes
2. Miller
3. Stepan
4. Kreider

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Hopefully Rangers took notes from what the Oilers did tonight as they were pretty much in same situation we find ourselves in on Tuesday as they obviously didn't allow what happened the other nite effect them and they kicked the living **** out of the Ducks tonight.

Oilers lost a very winnable game in Game 5 at Anaheim when despite a 3-0 lead with 3 minutes left, they somehow allowed Ducks to tie it up with 15 seconds left and than lost in OT.

Though our choke job wasn't as bad in Ottawa yesterday, it was still pretty bad as we allowed Sens to tie it up late in game and than they won it in OT.

Well, we need to do the same thing and forget what happened and kick the Senators ***** all over the ice Tuesday and win convincingly and force a Game 7 at Ottawa where anything can happen.

I'd be really really surprised if Rangers don't come up with a bigtime effort Tuesday like they did in Games 3 and 4 and send this back to Ottawa.

I don't know, this is a very bizarre series as nothing seems to go as planned. What's ironic is that this is a bit similar to our series in 2012 to the Sens when they also had a 3-2 lead heading to MSG and we won obviously and than we beat them in Ottawa in Game 7. I still think we can and will do that but we have to play ALOT better than we did in Game 5 which really dissapointed me in that alot of guys were bystanders and only a few showed up.

Rangers as I've said a ton of times seem to play their best hockey when their backs are against their wall. Well with their season on the brink, backs against the wall don't get much more obvious than this. I'd anticipate the boys will come up with a huge effort and it will all come down to Game 7 which I still feel confident we can and will win despite our inabilty to close out the Sens in their barn despite all three previous games there right in the palms of our hands but we blew it each time.

Time to change that. First things first tho....let's win Game 6 first and than worry about Game 7 thereafter.....:nod:

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
For as bad as Kreider has been, I would only rank him 4th worst forward. (not counting Buch or Glass)

1. Hayes
2. Miller
3. Stepan
4. Kreider

I honestly haven't seen Stepan make any impactful plays. Maybe I missed something. At least Hayes has made a couple of plays.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Hopefully Rangers took notes from what the Oilers did tonight as they were pretty much in same situation we find ourselves in on Tuesday as they obviously didn't allow what happened the other nite effect them and they kicked the living **** out of the Ducks tonight.

Oilers lost a very winnable game in Game 5 at Anaheim when despite a 3-0 lead with 3 minutes left, they somehow allowed Ducks to tie it up with 15 seconds left and than lost in OT.

Though our choke job wasn't as bad in Ottawa yesterday, it was still pretty bad as we allowed Sens to tie it up late in game and than they won it in OT.

Well, we need to do the same thing and forget what happened and kick the Senators ***** all over the ice Tuesday and win convincingly and force a Game 7 at Ottawa where anything can happen.

I'd be really really surprised if Rangers don't come up with a bigtime effort Tuesday like they did in Games 3 and 4 and send this back to Ottawa.

I don't know, this is a very bizarre series as nothing seems to go as planned. What's ironic is that this is a bit similar to our series in 2012 to the Sens when they also had a 3-2 lead heading to MSG and we won obviously and than we beat them in Ottawa in Game 7. I still think we can and will do that but we have to play ALOT better than we did in Game 5 which really dissapointed me in that alot of guys were bystanders and only a few showed up.

Rangers as I've said a ton of times seem to play their best hockey when their backs are against their wall. Well with their season on the brink, backs against the wall don't get much more obvious than this. I'd anticipate the boys will come up with a huge effort and it will all come down to Game 7 which I still feel confident we can and will win despite our inabilty to close out the Sens in their barn despite all three previous games there right in the palms of our hands but we blew it each time.

Time to change that. First things first tho....let's win Game 6 first and than worry about Game 7 thereafter.....:nod:

we won game 6 in ottawa and game 7 at msg in 2012

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
I honestly haven't seen Stepan make any impactful plays. Maybe I missed something. At least Hayes has made a couple of plays.

I probably would agree with this assessment of yours. What's odd is that in Games 3 and 4 all four of them had started to make more positive impactfull playes and started to make a difference. All 4 of them however regressed in Game 5 as did most of our players other than Zucc,Fast,Grabner and Vesey.

It just doesn't make sense how our best forwards are pretty much no shows the entire series if not the playoffs other than Nash,Zucc and Zibs and yet we still are very much in the series and still have a chance to advance.

For example if we had been told that that Kreider(2), Stepan(2), Hayes(0) and Miller(0) had 4 goals between the four of them and just 15 overall points in 44 games combined between the four, you'd think we'd have been eliminated from playoffs by now and yet we aren't.

Bizarro world I tell ya...bizarro world is the only explanation...lol.

Hopefully all 4 of them make some meaningful contributions come Tuesday(at least 2 of them at very worst) otherwise, our season will likely be over. I'm thinking a few of them will come thru for us but man it's been pretty damn frustrating that's for damn sure.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
we won game 6 in ottawa and game 7 at msg in 2012

Yeah your right...my mistake.

Still tho, Sens did have us 3 games to 2 heading to Ottawa and we figured out a way to pull if off and than win at MSG.

We need to do same thing except a different combination...win at home Game 6 and than in Ottawa Game 7.

Something about Ottawa in the playoffs gives us fits. They seemingly don't belong on the same ice as us. We seemingly have a ton more talent and depth than them yet anytime we play them, they make us either look bad or we have to work alot harder than you'd think we would in order to finally get rid of them. Well nothing's changed this year unfortunatly....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad