Prospect Info: Rangers select Riley Hughes 216th

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Steven Fogarty had 3 goals and 11 points in 33 games with Notre Dame. He still got an ELC.
His third year he had 21 points in 39 games and had shown actual progression offensively. Hughes just went from .5 PPG in his sophomore campaign to 12 points in 31 as a junior. That's not progress.

Fogarty was also team captain as a junior and at that time, was considered one of the better defensive centers in all of the NCAA.

Not to pick on Hughes, but he's a JAG at this point. I mean when you can't even legitimately compare him to Steven Fogarty, that really says something.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
His third year he had 21 points in 39 games and had shown actual progression offensively. Hughes just went from .5 PPG in his sophomore campaign to 12 points in 31 as a junior. That's not progress.

Fogarty was also team captain as a junior and at that time, was considered one of the better defensive centers in all of the NCAA.

Not to pick on Hughes, but he's a JAG at this point. I mean when you can't even legitimately compare him to Steven Fogarty, that really says something.

Yeah, I am not insinuating Riley Hughes will get a contract but worse players have gotten one as a Rangers draft selection. His rights expire next year so who knows. Chances are slim but never 0%.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA

Our pool was also far more bare when we signed Fogarty if I recall

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010

yes, Hughes has underwhelmed to-date.
Big season for him coming up.
Also for Northeastern, who have been asserting themselves in HE last couple years
He will be playing again with his brother (the '22 draft-able Jack Hughes) this year
He might even benefit from the 5th eligible year, which NCAA's Covid response has made an option for recent NCAA players

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
yes, Hughes has underwhelmed to-date.
Big season for him coming up.
Also for Northeastern, who have been asserting themselves in HE last couple years
He will be playing again with his brother (the '22 draft-able Jack Hughes) this year
He might even benefit from the 5th eligible year, which NCAA's Covid response has made an option for recent NCAA players

I forgot about the additional COVID year for NCAA players.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Right now he projects as a middle 6 ECHL player.

Even Danny Hobbs scored come junior year.

Reactions: nyr2k2

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I never saw much in Hughes, honestly. And as @Fitzy said, he's not tracking well. If his senior year looks like his junior year, it's hard to imagine a professional contract waiting for him (certainly not an NHL ELC). I could see him playing his senior year, and, depending on what happens with Northeastern, either playing a fifth year or going the graduate transfer route.

Ciccolini was the one that I thought was more interesting. It's too bad he missed all year with an injury. Hopefully he can come back next year and make his mark. I wouldn't expect it, though.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
9/10 times a player like Hughes won't have what it takes to be a successful NHLer but it was a hope pick.

The more of these you have the more likely you will hit.

I'm sure that Eric Florchuk, the guy taken right after him with the last pick in the draft becomes a superstar and people here go full negative.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad