Prospect Info: Rangers select Riley Hughes 216th

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I like this pick much like the pick of Barron last year. Just let the kid marinate in college and see what you have in 4-5 years. I like this approach to the late rounds.

Yeah, Hagelin was a kid that of course was a bit exciting when we picked him but he was like 12-13 forward, IIRC, for Sweden in the WJC and very much a tweener/checker. College is an outstanding development environment.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Have zero issues with this pick. Looking forward to see how he does his first year at Northeastern

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
don't know much about the kid but he seems to be a rare pick that was taken later than the rankings...so if we are going to bash picks as reaches when we take them way ahead of the 'rankings' its only far to look at this as a potential late draft steal

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
I wish they’d take more picks like him and Barron in the later rounds. I don’t want the mystery box when the boat is available (Family Guy reference), but when you get to the 5th, and especially the 6th and 7th rounds, I prefer these unheralded lottery tickets to a guy who’s well scouted who, if everything breaks right, projects as a depth AHLer.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Dave Quinn got a pick no doubt.

Could be that BU had him on their radar. These are the late round picks that can offer a bigger return down the line. Really no need to judge this kid until 2021 and see if he showed signs of an upward trajectory.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
67. Riley Hughes, RW, St. Sebastian’s School-U.S. High School
June 27, 2000 | 6-foot-1 | 174 pounds
GP: 30 | Goals: 21 | Points: 36 | Shoots: Right
Skating: 55
Puck Skills: 50
Physical Game: 45
Hockey sense: 55
From what I could gather of Hughes this season from a weekend out East and catching him a bit on video, he’s a player who’s a bit of a longshot but still intriguing. He stands at 6-foot-1 and can make offensive plays, which will move the needle for any evaluator. Hughes skates well for his size and can gain the zone with his speed. His hands are good, he’s not a pure dangler, but he’s competent handling the puck and can make skilled plays. Hughes can make plays to his teammates. His vision is above-average and he can execute tough plays. At the high school level, he seemed OK defensively, but that’s a hard area to measure with such limited viewings for me, as I’ve heard NHL scouts criticize his battle effort and consistency. He doesn’t get inside to the tough areas. He’s a gamble but there are tools to work with here.

Pronman's 2018 NHL draft rankings: Top 74 prospects

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Dave Quinn got a pick no doubt.

Actually, Gorton said that Quinn didn't recruit him. Gorton said that he asks the scouts in the 7th round if there's any players they really want, and the Boston area scout really wanted to pick Hughes.

I really liked this pick. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up as one of the best players from our draft. High school hockey kid that hasn't been scouted a lot by the mainstream. Seems like a great idea for a pick.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Actually, Gorton said that Quinn didn't recruit him. Gorton said that he asks the scouts in the 7th round if there's any players they really want, and the Boston area scout really wanted to pick Hughes.

I really liked this pick. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up as one of the best players from our draft. High school hockey kid that hasn't been scouted a lot by the mainstream. Seems like a great idea for a pick.

Yeah I heard that too.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011

I wonder if Quinn had any input on scouting he might of done of K'Andre Miller

WeRa

Nov 2, 2017

IMO Boston area scout thought Jack Hughes...

You 'Orns!
Feb 11, 2004
Mannahatta
Turn's out he's my closest family friends' cousin's son. They're so excited about this, they might even start following hockey... :)

Reactions: Sarge13

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Northeastern to promote men’s hockey coach Jim Madigan to athletic director
Northeastern to promote men’s hockey coach Jim Madigan to athletic director - The Boston Globe
Northeastern University will promote men’s hockey coach Jim Madigan to athletic director to replace the departing Jeff Konya, a school source confirmed to the Globe.
Associate head coach Jerry Keefe will be promoted to head coach.
Madigan served as coach for 10 years, returning to the Huskies bench in 2011 after playing for the team from 1981-85 and serving as an assistant coach from 1986-93.
He led the team to a record of 174-139-39 and finished his run with eight straight winning seasons. After the program had gone 30 years without winning the Beanpot, he led the Huskies to three straight championships from 2018-20. The Huskies also snapped a 28-year drought in the Hockey East tournament in 2016, then added another title in 2019. The 2016 squad snapped a 22-year drought from the NCAA tournament, with the program returning to the postseason in 2018 and 2019.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad