Confirmed with Link: Rangers re-sign Brendan Lemieux

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Fast had 51 points in 68 SHL games between his age 20 and 21 seasons. He has 44 points in 59 career NHL games. That his offense didn't translate into big numbers in the NHL hardly is indicative of his overall skill level. There are TONS of supremely skilled players who can't even get to the NHL because they have major deficiencies in their game. Remember Erik Christensen? Guy oozed skill but was a f***ing bum. Fast has plenty of skill, whether we saw it in the NHL on a regular basis or not. He's exactly the type of guy we really need to develop--homegrown, cheap, plays hard, full effort every shift, can score a little, plays defense, etc. And now he's out the door and we're talking about how awful he was. Some of you are really f***ing out to lunch.

On a separate note, for all the amazing talent Gauthier has, there's a very good chance he never approaches the career that Fast has already had.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
$1.5M for 18 points and not much else?
Ahhh..I'm not sure I'm feeling it

Last edited:

RagFinMet

Jan 5, 2019
Love Lem
Great he's back
How this became a Fast debate is strange
Fast was a great Ranger
He didnt need to produce offense to be effective
He is a great bottom sixer
Great PKer
And he complimented pan and strome perfectly
Strome sux defensively
Fast allowed pan and strome to play their games and develop chemistry
Not sure that happens without Fast
And I'm not convinced pan and strome can remain linemates without a player like Fast

Reactions: egelband

Rangers ftw

May 8, 2007
Perfect, nothing to complain about. Not all players need to produce a lot of points to be effective.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
On a separate note, for all the amazing talent Gauthier has, there's a very good chance he never approaches the career that Fast has already had.

Agreed. There is a very good chance Gauthier never gets to that level. But if, and that's a big if, he puts it together, he can really provide a package that this team can use a lot more of. Big season for him coming up to show he can.

Reactions: leetch99

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
He'll be 25 early in the new season with about 2 seasons under his belt. I am not arguing that he can't improve at all, because I think a change in his approach could pay large dividends, but otherwise he is who he is. The skill development and understanding of the pro game, probably not going to evolve much. Not impossible as guys follow nonlinear development paths all the time, but barring a conscience effort to play a different way, I think he is what he is.

I think he needs to learn to pick his spots better. Like when the team needs a spark, or if the Rangers are cowering out there. The difference between his dad and him is that his dad knew when to stir shit up and when not too. That's why a lot of the things his old man did came as a surprise in the middle of a game versus not- even though it shouldn't have.

That's the difference between using his skills in a more impactful way in the confines of the game versus not. When it's just personal beef out there, then it's a side show, ie veering in that staged fight realm. Which isn't a bad thing if he was in the WWE. But to be able to use all of the mechanics that the game allots, and what he is willing to do out there... that needs to be far more contextual in terms of when and why he does it. There's nothing wrong with a little psychological warfare out there.

The easy way to ingratiate yourself to bigger contracts is to step up and help change the momentum of the game. If I was Lems, I would go balls out the games where a guy above him in the line-up coasts it a bit. Brendan's had a season and change on this roster, he knows that's coming.

The other major component to add is more shots. Lemieux isn't a great playmaker unless it's in that down low cycle, or in front of the net. Speaking of cycles, he's got to get better at that as well. I think simplifying his game to go hard to the net, and get shots, and finishing more checks are what I would look for from him. Even if he's not killing penalties, if he's doing the above then he's going to get another deal that's far bigger than what he just got. The offense is a byproduct of effort with him. This isn't a dainty skilled guy. Neither was his old man who won 4 cups and Conn Smythe because Claude made winning plays, despite a lack of skill.

BTW- I'd give Lems a look with right shots. Those passes would be easier to receive and tap in from the left wing. If you are double shifting Zibs, I would give Lemieux a look with him and Gauthier tell all of them to create space and go hard to the net. Zibs can demonstrate his leadership capabilities by teaching Lems and Goat how to cycle and get open. 3-man and 5-man cycles. Start with the 3 with these two. Then move to the 5.

Last edited:

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
I think adding Lafreniere and JJ and possibly Miller adds some more physical punch to the team . Lafreniere does not shy away and a guy like him can influence a few more....hopefully . Add Kreider-Lemieux-Lindgren-Trouba -Smith- Tony and maybe Gauthier reaches down and finds a way within himself to use his muscles to open up lanes . I don't see us being pushed around by many despite no heavyweight . Not sure what we do with the Ross the Boss guys & Wilson....skate away I guess as nobody we have can handle either guy....not even Lemieux. Maybe they address that ...maybe not ....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad