Prospect Info: Rangers Prospects Thread (Stats in Post #1; Updated 8.7.18)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
For players like Dylan Strome you sometimes get a ketchup effect development. He relies on being a dominant package and as long as he isn’t that he isn’t good enough, but when guys like that does become good enough they start to really dominate for a while.

I’ve not seen Strome since the WJC. Would be ridiculous for me to have any firm opinion on him. But he was definitely not someone I fell in love with when I saw him in the WJC...

I feel like he's too talented not to make it at all, but I do wonder just how good he'll end up becoming.

The challenge will also be that even if he turns into a "good" player, there are a number of young players from that draft who are looking really good at this point.

Last edited:
Reactions: bobbop

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
To clarify, with good usage he'll easily outscore any flaws he has in his game, i'm very confident in this. He demolished OHL for 3 years and then he's one of the best players in the AHL at 20, how many of those players aren't above average NHLers?
Yep. Let’s also factor in the team he plays on. Iirc he was PPG the last 9-10 games of the season with Zac Rinaldo on his line. He’ll be fine, some guys take longer to develop than others. Especially big players and weak skating ones, which Strome is both of.

Reactions: ManUtdTobbe

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
By all accounts the Rangers wanted DeAngelo. This is after it was rumored that the Rangers nearly traded for him from TB as well. He wasn’t a throw in that Arizona soured on. The Rangers scouts liked the player for a while.

If Shattenkirk hadn’t fallen into their laps he would have had a more suitable role last year but they were able to bring him along slowly. I think he takes off this year. He was clearly a good player towards the end of last year prior to his injury it’s just the points weren’t showing up. He worked on his defensive game and being more patient with his game in Hartford which helped. I get the feeling that some people are rooting against him for whatever reason.

Reactions: ponzu4u

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
The Yotes have given him a more than fair shake. In the last two years, they have tried everyone but me at center. He did show some signs of life at the end of last season but he was not a thriving vibrant presence. This is his make or break year and he has to win a center job (probably from Galchenyuk) this year.

I disagree with most of this. He's not gotten a fair shake imo, he's gotten small samples without set wingers and he's still produced really well and yet they don't keep him in the NHL because or arbitrary reasons.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
I mean...it's also possible that your talent evaluation is just completely off ;)

It's possible, but while it might sound arrogant i'll easily take my talent evaluation over Yotes, Just look at the last few drafts and i think i have a pretty good case here.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Time will tell with Strome.

This is a pretty important camp for him.

Though I am not sure the two sides of this discussion are actually far off on what they think Strome’s upside might be.

Despite the debate as to whether it’s a Dylan problem or a Coyotes’ problem, the general opinion seems to be that he’s capable of being a good NHL player.

Just probably not a great one, or one who will better than at least several names taken after him.

pblawr

Jul 16, 2016
To clarify, with good usage he'll easily outscore any flaws he has in his game, i'm very confident in this. He demolished OHL for 3 years and then he's one of the best players in the AHL at 20, how many of those players aren't above average NHLers?

I'm just playing devil's advocate a little bit, but the obvious example of a guy who demolished the OHL for 3 years and then was one of the best players in the AHL at 20 but isn't an above-average NHLer is Ryan Strome, who put up 1.3 ppg in the AHL at 20 but averaged just 0.4 ppg in his last 3 NHL seasons.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I'm just playing devil's advocate a little bit, but the obvious example of a guy who demolished the OHL for 3 years and then was one of the best players in the AHL at 20 but isn't an above-average NHLer is Ryan Strome, who put up 1.3 ppg in the AHL at 20 but averaged just 0.4 ppg in his last 3 NHL seasons.

And who interestingly enough, had somewhat similar concerns coming out of the OHL.

Now in fairness, Dylan is more skilled than Ryan. Though I’d probably argue that Ryan’s game was a bit more closer to working in the NHL.

Ryan somewhat learned what he’d have to do differently to carve out an NHL career. There’s a lot of belief, outside the Coyotes’ organization mind you, that Dylan hasn’t quite learned to do that yet.

It goes without saying that the Coyotes are not a model franchise. But people outside the Coyotes, including many of their observers, are noticing some similar concerns with Strome.

So it’s not just out of left field notes that some of us on here have taken.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden

Fair enough… He also potted 50 points in the NHL when put in a position to succeed and i believe that Dylan is more talented.

I just think the argument of "hasn't learned what to do in the NHL" or anything similar to that is garbage. It's on the coaches to get the best out of their players, if Stromes off the puck game isn't good enough then shelter him. He will outscore his deficiencies.

tradenashnow

Feb 17, 2018
By all accounts the Rangers wanted DeAngelo. This is after it was rumored that the Rangers nearly traded for him from TB as well. He wasn’t a throw in that Arizona soured on. The Rangers scouts liked the player for a while.

If Shattenkirk hadn’t fallen into their laps he would have had a more suitable role last year but they were able to bring him along slowly. I think he takes off this year. He was clearly a good player towards the end of last year prior to his injury it’s just the points weren’t showing up. He worked on his defensive game and being more patient with his game in Hartford which helped. I get the feeling that some people are rooting against him for whatever reason.

I just think DeAngelo sucks on D. Should be converted to a wing

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
We also need to sign "Wolfpack defenseman Brodie" so we can trade him... again.
I never realized how long Bodie's neck was. f***in' A. That picture almost doesn't look real.

mathew-bodie-2018-55.jpg

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
I disagree with most of this. He's not gotten a fair shake imo, he's gotten small samples without set wingers and he's still produced really well and yet they don't keep him in the NHL because or arbitrary reasons.
I don’t have any skin in this game. My impressions are from training camps here in Arizona, a good share of his NHL games (both on TV and in person) and a couple of AHL games. I would do a shoulder shrug but I’m too old to figure out the sequence of characters.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I don’t have any skin in this game. My impressions are from training camps here in Arizona, a good share of his NHL games (both on TV and in person) and a couple of AHL games. I would do a shoulder shrug but I’m too old to figure out the sequence of characters.

That's kind of where I am.

I have little reason to root for or against him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad