Prospect Info: Rangers Prospects Thread (Stats in Post #1; Updated 5.29.18)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Former prospect update: Robin Kovacs is scoreless in five games with Lulea in the SHL and Malte Stromwall just signed on with KooKoo in Liiga. Old pal Jyri Niemi also plays for KooKoo.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Rangers signed him before everything else happened...before they signed Pionk, before they traded for DeAngelo, before they signed Shattenkirk, before they knew they'd re-sign Smith...

A lot of competition was brought in and he didn't stand out. Sucks for him but he clearly wasn't ready yet and is further down the depth chart now. That said, if he wants to play in the NHL, sticking it out for a year in the AHL to establish himself and then either making his way onto the roster next year or getting traded would probably be a lot better than going back to the KHL.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Bereglazov is set to go from 6th in our prospect rankings to like 30th in a matter of months.

Cornell start league games this weekend. Barron has been on their 2nd and 3rd lines in the preseason games so far.

Last edited:
Reactions: nyr2k2

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Bereglazov is set to go from 6th in our prospect rankings to like 30th in a matter of months.

Cornell start league games this weekend. Barron has been on their 2nd and 3rd lines in the preseason games so far.
If he exercises his out clause I believe that terminates his contract and he wouldn't even be our property moving forward. I could be wrong, though.

Also, this entire time I've had no idea you were Fitzy. Goddamn, man, good to know you're still here.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
If he exercises his out clause I believe that terminates his contract and he wouldn't even be our property moving forward. I could be wrong, though.

Also, this entire time I've had no idea you were Fitzy. Goddamn, man, good to know you're still here.

Operation doppelganger was a success!

Bereglazov I guess was just one of the failed Europe experiments. For every Zuccarello there are a half a dozen Jamtin's, Heikkanens, and Ambuhls.

Previous posters have suggested we overrate the KHL, due to players like Dawes and Jensen succeeding but I don't think it's that simple. Some players just make the ice adjustment better than others. Ovechkin probably would have scored more in the NHL than Russia in a hypothetical 04-05 season.

I am still curious to see if Nigel Dawes could make it in today's NHL. With the seasons he has had I imagine he'll be top of the list for the Canadian Olympic team.

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO
Is there any chance that Bereglazov can get "loaned" to the KHL? He's on an ELC and if that's an option, would be nice to still keep his rights though I guess there's no agreement with the KHL to do this? He's a young enough player that 1-2 years down the road a spot can open up and playing in the KHL for a 23 yo isn't terrible to keep developing.

Reactions: nyr2k2

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Virta with 15 points in 17 games (4 goals, 11 assists), 3rd in Liiga for assists and 7th in points I think. 5 game point streak. Lias with an assist today

Reactions: Revel

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Is 15 in 17 good production considering his age and where he plays?

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Is 15 in 17 good production considering his age and where he plays?

Yes, he's the top U-24 scorer in Liiga. He's doing very well, unless we regard the league as so bad that he should be averaging way over 1PPG, which I think is unrealistic. Liiga isn't a great league, but it is good, and this guy is still only 21, and would be the youngest player on our NHL team (except Chytil who only played two games).

Get him over to the AHL next year, and see where his game is at. He shouldn't stay any longer in Liiga, he needs to test himself in NA pro hockey to see if he can be an NHL'er.

Reactions: kovazub94 and darko

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Updated prospect list. I think we have more depth than a year ago. The first 18 or so are real prospects, in my estimation. And we added two likely good NHL'ers early in the draft, so that definitely helps, but the early returns from the later round picks like Crawley, Sjalin and Virta are looking excellent.

1. Shestyorkin
2. Chytil
3. Andersson
4. Graves
5. Pionk
6. Huska
7. Bereglazov
8. Virta
9. Wall
10. Gettinger
11. Sjalin
12. Zborovskiy
13. Crawley
14. Day
15. Nieves
16. Fontaine
17. Lettieri
18. Gropp
19. Leedahl
20. Lakatos
21. Barron
22. Tambellini
23. Nell
24. Georgiyev
25. Halverson
26. Ronning
27. Reunanen
28. Pedrie
29. Gilmour
30. Fogarty
31. Bernhardt

darko

Feb 16, 2009
We definitely have more depth than 12 months ago. Lost Kovacs and dead weight, gained Pionk and 2 first round picks amongst others.

Reactions: Ori

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Is there any chance that Bereglazov can get "loaned" to the KHL? He's on an ELC and if that's an option, would be nice to still keep his rights though I guess there's no agreement with the KHL to do this? He's a young enough player that 1-2 years down the road a spot can open up and playing in the KHL for a 23 yo isn't terrible to keep developing.
It would be nice, but as you said there's no transfer agreement with the KHL. So, seems like he either toughs it out here or leaves.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Updated prospect list. I think we have more depth than a year ago. The first 18 or so are real prospects, in my estimation. And we added two likely good NHL'ers early in the draft, so that definitely helps, but the early returns from the later round picks like Crawley, Sjalin and Virta are looking excellent.

1. Shestyorkin
2. Chytil
3. Andersson
4. Graves
5. Pionk
6. Huska
7. Bereglazov
8. Virta
9. Wall
10. Gettinger
11. Sjalin
12. Zborovskiy
13. Crawley
14. Day
15. Nieves
16. Fontaine
17. Lettieri
18. Gropp
19. Leedahl
20. Lakatos
21. Barron
22. Tambellini
23. Nell
24. Georgiyev
25. Halverson
26. Ronning
27. Reunanen
28. Pedrie
29. Gilmour
30. Fogarty
31. Bernhardt

Still like Chytil best but Nieves has got to be a lot higher than 15 and I don't get Zborovskiy as a d-man ahead of Crawley, Day or Pedrie at all. Day is the best prospect of the bunch followed by Pedrie and Crawley and after that Zboro. Zborovskiy should be in the 20's at least until he fights his way out of Greenville and Leedahl should be towards the bottom of the list for the same reason. I was high on Wall but he'd be dropping now--he's had a very bad beginning of the year. I certainly would put Nell ahead of him. Tambellini is another player who is playing well and too low on your list.

Reactions: Mac n Gs

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
This is the list HF voted on, minus some graduates and guys that have left:

G Igor Shesterkin
C Lias Andersson
D Anthony DeAngelo
C Filip Chytil
D Alexei Bereglazov
D Ryan Graves
D Sean Day
D Neal Pionk
G Adam Huska
C/LW Cristoval "Boo" Nieves
LW Ryan Gropp
G Tyler Wall
G Alexandar Georgiev
D Sergey Zborovskiy
RW Nicklas Jensen
LW Tim Gettinger
D Calle Sjalin
C Dominik Lakatos
RW Ty Ronning
D Tarmo Reunanen
D Vince Pedrie
D Brandon Crawley
C Patrik Virta
C Gabriel Fontaine
G Brandon Halverson
C Adam Tambellini
C Morgan Barron
G Chris Nell
C Steven Fogarty
LW Dawson Leedahl
D John Gilmour
RW Vinni Lettieri
C Daniel Catenacci
RW Daniel Bernhardt
RW Tyler Nanne

I'd make some big-time changes to this list now. The list we do after Christmas should be fun.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

1. Shestyorkin
2. Chytil
3. Andersson
4. Graves
5. Pionk
6. Huska
7. Bereglazov
8. Virta
9. Wall
10. Gettinger
11. Sjalin
12. Zborovskiy
13. Crawley
14. Day
15. Nieves
16. Fontaine
17. Lettieri
18. Gropp
19. Leedahl
20. Lakatos
21. Barron
22. Tambellini
23. Nell
24. Georgiyev
25. Halverson
26. Ronning
27. Reunanen
28. Pedrie
29. Gilmour
30. Fogarty
31. Bernhardt

Pretty much fully agree with eco's though I understand some minor preferential choices. However specifically regarding Nieves. He should be no lower than right after Pionk. There's no top quality upside below that spot that would beat what Nieves already "realized" as a prospect.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

G Igor Shesterkin
C Lias Andersson
D Anthony DeAngelo
C Filip Chytil
D Alexei Bereglazov
D Ryan Graves
D Sean Day
D Neal Pionk
G Adam Huska
LW Ryan Gropp
G Tyler Wall
G Alexandar Georgiev
D Sergey Zborovskiy
RW Nicklas Jensen
LW Tim Gettinger
D Calle Sjalin
C Dominik Lakatos
RW Ty Ronning
D Tarmo Reunanen
D Vince Pedrie
D Brandon Crawley
C Patrik Virta
C Gabriel Fontaine
G Brandon Halverson
C Adam Tambellini
C Morgan Barron
G Chris Nell
C Steven Fogarty
LW Dawson Leedahl
D John Gilmour
RW Vinni Lettieri
C Daniel Catenacci
RW Daniel Bernhardt
RW Tyler Nanne

I'd make some big-time changes to this list now. The list we do after Christmas should be fun.

G Igor Shesterkin
C Lias Andersson
D Anthony DeAngelo
C Filip Chytil
D Alexei Bereglazov
D Ryan Graves
D Sean Day
D Neal Pionk
G Adam Huska
LW Ryan Gropp
G Tyler Wall
G Alexandar Georgiev
D Sergey Zborovskiy
RW Nicklas Jensen
LW Tim Gettinger
D Calle Sjalin
C Dominik Lakatos
RW Ty Ronning
D Tarmo Reunanen
D Vince Pedrie
D Brandon Crawley
C Patrik Virta
C Gabriel Fontaine
G Brandon Halverson
C Adam Tambellini
C Morgan Barron
G Chris Nell
C Steven Fogarty
LW Dawson Leedahl
D John Gilmour
RW Vinni Lettieri
C Daniel Catenacci
RW Daniel Bernhardt
RW Tyler Nanne

I don't see big time changes excerpt maybe dropping Bear gloves down (he could naturally be off the list altogether in two weeks).

Other moves are only 2-3 spots at most.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

G Igor Shesterkin
C Lias Andersson
D Anthony DeAngelo
C Filip Chytil
D Alexei Bereglazov
D Ryan Graves
D Sean Day
D Neal Pionk
G Adam Huska
LW Ryan Gropp
G Tyler Wall
G Alexandar Georgiev
D Sergey Zborovskiy
RW Nicklas Jensen
LW Tim Gettinger
D Calle Sjalin
C Dominik Lakatos
RW Ty Ronning
D Tarmo Reunanen
D Vince Pedrie
D Brandon Crawley
C Patrik Virta
C Gabriel Fontaine
G Brandon Halverson
C Adam Tambellini
C Morgan Barron
G Chris Nell
C Steven Fogarty
LW Dawson Leedahl
D John Gilmour
RW Vinni Lettieri
C Daniel Catenacci
RW Daniel Bernhardt
RW Tyler Nanne

So many unknowns on that list when it was made. I still say there's Shestyorkin, Andersson, Chytil, maybe ADA and then a pretty darn big gap. There's also at least half-dozen guys on there that I've been disappointed with thus far, and probably another half-dozen guys who exceeded my expectations.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Someone said the Finnish Arvidsson about Virta, and man oh man would that be one helluva nice pick at the end of the draft. Very happy to see his production pick up in his draft+1 year

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
@Hockeyisl1fe, can we get a Virta update? Thanks man!
Oh yeah, I kinda forgot I was supposed to report how he's been playing. He was quite underwhelming at the start tbh. Not bad, but my expectations were much higher given what he showed in the last season. He played as a 2nd line winger, but after our two top centers got injured (Filppula, Perrin) he has been playing as a 1c. After that he's looked a lot better and has start getting more on the score sheet too. He has looked a lot better as a center than as a winger, one would believe it to be just the opposite.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad