Prospect Info: Rangers Prospects Thread (Stats in Post #1; Updated 5.29.18)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
How was the 1st period for Lias A? ..I was busy earlier! :)

Ori

Nov 7, 2014
Norway
The tempo is a huge difference from NHL. :)

Anyway if David D. continue to struggle on our 4th line, and Lias P. keep producing points like in pre season and in Sweden - he might be recalled faster than next year training camp in an attempt to get us into playoffs next year! ))

Last edited:
Reactions: Ola

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
They need to make a decision whether or not Andersson is a center. Great on draws, super responsible but sets up nothing for his line mates and makes nothing but safe decisions inside the offensive zone. He is great in front of the net and has good hands, but the creativity continues to be absent from his game. He checks every block and is a coach's dream but he has never been or will be a playmaker. The box score says he had a great game but if you watched it wire to wire he was pretty invisible outside of one chance late in the first, a bunch of faceoffs and the slam-dunk set-up.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Good game by Lias, even if the opponent wasn’t the best it’s important for him to step up and take on a leadership role for his team.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
SteveK- OTOH, Lias was definitely a top 3-5 center in the WJSS. All the best U20 players participated there. Showed a good deal of offense, definitely some spectacular play.

When you watch him against his peers he definitely create offense and play like a future scoring center. That is great in light of him being 18 y/o. On the other hand he is pretty physically mature, so he might not have the extreme growth potential many teenagers have (top picks rarely have).

I think the key for him is to become a little stronger and more explosive in his skating. Can Lias become the skater that say a Max Domi is? Well then he can definitely become a top line player.

Sometimes I just feel that he maybe is a judged a little unfairly. This is the year he was drafted. Most kids aren’t even remotely close to being ready at that age. Guys like Kreider or Hayes and the likes definitely where to “SHL ready” at 17-18 and would have had very marginal roles at 18-19.

Ori

Nov 7, 2014
Norway
They need to make a decision whether or not Andersson is a center. Great on draws, super responsible but sets up nothing for his line mates and makes nothing but safe decisions inside the offensive zone. He is great in front of the net and has good hands, but the creativity continues to be absent from his game. He checks every block and is a coach's dream but he has never been or will be a playmaker. The box score says he had a great game but if you watched it wire to wire he was pretty invisible outside of one chance late in the first, a bunch of faceoffs and the slam-dunk set-up.

It`s too early to decide that. JT Miller was pushed in a wing position in his youth, and it depends more what the Rangers depth is when he is ready to play with us in NHL. Lias A. is a natural center for sure in my view. It also depends who u compare Lias with in NHL about creativity and vision - he is not Toews or have Zucc`s vision or creativity, but very few players in NHL have that - maybe Backstrom from Caps who have similar vision.

Last edited:

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
SteveK- OTOH, Lias was definitely a top 3-5 center in the WJSS. All the best U20 players participated there. Showed a good deal of offense, definitely some spectacular play.

When you watch him against his peers he definitely create offense and play like a future scoring center. That is great in light of him being 18 y/o. On the other hand he is pretty physically mature, so he might not have the extreme growth potential many teenagers have (top picks rarely have).

I think the key for him is to become a little stronger and more explosive in his skating. Can Lias become the skater that say a Max Domi is? Well then he can definitely become a top line player.

Sometimes I just feel that he maybe is a judged a little unfairly. This is the year he was drafted. Most kids aren’t even remotely close to being ready at that age. Guys like Kreider or Hayes and the likes definitely where to “SHL ready” at 17-18 and would have had very marginal roles at 18-19.

To me, it's not a matter of being NHL ready as much as improving in areas previously identified to be weaker than others, regardless of the average age of the competition. Just the nature of the beast. He was the 7th pick so it's natural to hold him to a higher standard and expect him to show signs of improvement.

I guess my point is I'd rather see Andersson at this age have two excellent/dominant games out of every 10 than 10 straight "solid" games. Just a personal opinion, but I saw more from Chytil in half a preseason game than from Andersson in TC, CHL/ SHL and preseason combined.

Not going to lie -- he's been very boring to watch.

Ori

Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I only saw Lias A. in two games so far in Sweden and pre season games, but his skating need to improve + speed, and quick decision with and without the puck with good reads - u don`t have that much time with the puck in NHL compare to Sweden on big ice.

But I`m very happy with Lias A. tonight +1 assist + 1 goal is excellent at his age - most guys he play against are older than him.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
It`s too early to decide that. JT Miller was pushed in a wing position in his youth, and it depends more what the Rangers depth is when he is ready to play with us in NHL. Lias A. is a natural center for sure in my view. It also depends who u compare Lias with in NHL about creativity and vision - he is not Toews or have Zucc`s vision or creativity, but very few players in NHL have that - maybe Backstrom from Caps who have similar vision.

Of course. They don't need to do anything now, but I'm just curious how Gorton views him. I guess putting him on a line with pass-friendly wingers like Hayes or Buchnevich or Zucc might suit Andersson more than expecting the kid to carry a line.

I just hope the Rangers didn't view this kid as a potential top-line center to build around, because not once did Andersson come across as that kind of player. Plus he's kinda short and seems slower than he was last year.

Reactions: Ori

Ori

Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Of course. They don't need to do anything now, but I'm just curious how Gorton views him. I guess putting him on a line with pass-friendly wingers like Hayes or Buchnevich or Zucc might suit Andersson more than expecting the kid to carry a line.

I just hope the Rangers didn't view this kid as a potential top-line center to build around, because not once did Andersson come across as that kind of player. Plus he's kinda short and seems slower than he was last year.

Yes I agree with you @Steve Kournianos - Lias like to finish plays with good hands and positioning on the ice. But it`s hard to speculate end of this 2017-18 season, because Jeff Gorton usually change the dynamic of this team with some moves like last summer; Stepan & Raanta gone for future draft picks like Lias A. & Chytil + DeAngelo. Maybe Nash & B. Smith are gone next year who knows - Nash need to produce to help us achieve playoffs.

I just hope the Rangers org. - staff inform Frölunda - so Lias continue to work and train on his speed and his skating - it`s easier at his young age to get quicker and more agile if he train quickness properly. :)

Last edited:

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I agree that Lias should be held to a higher standard due to being a 7th overall pick than like a Kreider being picked 19tb, but just saying that sometimes it’s like that standard is on a different planet. And oddly it seems like that standard is not based on any experience of watching 18-19 y/o play pro hockey — but solely on a level set by Filip Chytil in a couple of preseason games in the NHL.

Lias will be the top player for a top team in the WJCs. At that level he will surely not be a ‘boring’ player to watch, he will carry the puck a lot, challenge Ds, make opening passes, score goals etc. He was definitely much more electric than Elias Petersson, Cody Glass and he likes in the WJSS this summer.

If you compare Lias to players on our current NHL roster, the only player who at the same age even remotely showed more than that at the same age is Rick Nash.

With that said, I would definitely write under on the notion that Lias — while having potential to be a top 6 center — approaches things from a different direction than a Elias Petersson. Just saying, the analysis based on the fact that Chytil is a dominant NHLer at 17 while being picked 21 and Lias can’t even dominate the SHL at 19 and hence is boring gives a bit odd result.

SteveK- Yeah I agree for sure that Lias skating is worse this season than last. It’s so obvious that he hasn’t had any kind of off season. 4-5 trips across the Atlantic this summer. Like 20 games. Played close to 120 games last season. Even if he is physically mature — I hope that he has a lot of room next summer to become more explosive.

Reactions: Ori

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
We should be cautious about falling into the trap of "over-analyzing" a player.

Yes, LA has things he needs to work on - because he is a teenager.

He's playing against men, and not looking out of place.

I still think it's unfair to expect a first line center from him. It would be great if he is, but I'm expecting more of a Swiss army knife second line pivot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad