Prospect Info: Rangers Prospects Thread (Stats in Post #1; Updated 5.29.18)

Status
Not open for further replies.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
To be honest I really wish McIlrath had panned out. I think there's something where he didn't progress enough in the ways he needed to but he also happened to be playing for a coach that didn't want his style of play. Yeah he hasn't broken into the NHL anywhere else and I'm not saying he's some surefire NHLer that got done wrong and that's why he's where he is now, but that's the type of guy you can see teams just desperately wanting and reaching to pick. If McIlrath pans out? Extremely tough stay at home guy who can move the puck up the ice and not be a liability elsewhere. NOt sexy but could be a very important part of the defense. Great to partner with someone like Shattenkirk, DeAngelo, etc.
Hmm I wonder if they could re-acquire him... ;)
I was hanging on to McIlrath to the very end as well and truly believe that there is a spot in the top 4 for just such a player if their skills are able to be honed and developed effectively.

effen

Feb 3, 2018
Hey, instead of trying to have a discussion with someone who might disagree with you, just cut it off at the head, call it a name or two, and then call it a day. Sounds about right.

editing...

Last edited:

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
I was hanging on to McIlrath to the very end as well and truly believe that there is a spot in the top 4 for just such a player if their skills are able to be honed and developed effectively.

Me too man. Damn, imagine (good) McIlrath and Sjkei pairing... oof.

The Tarasenko thing will burn me until I die and I wasn’t even well versed in prospects back then.

effen

Feb 3, 2018
Why are you so angry? Either we can discuss the original point or move on, up to you.

Tone is hard to interpret. My apologies!

To your point, I'd love a player you and pizza described.... provided they had at least a modicum of other abilities, or you end up with a Colton Gillies, a Colton Orr, a Marc-Andre Cliche (I think its him). You can't have guys who are on ice for like 8 goals for a year just because they have physical attributes or whatnot, the league is too good and even 4th lines are too skilled to have one dimensional guys.

That goes for offense guys too - there's a reason MA Bergeron and Nigel Dawes aren't in the league either.

As I think @Levitate said though, every team is looking for these guys, and prospects get overdrafted (and wash out) all the time because they're so gosh darn valuable. Way easier said than done, but if you can grab one who can at least work a cycle, you certainly do it.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Tone is hard to interpret. My apologies!

To your point, I'd love a player you and pizza described.... provided they had at least a modicum of other abilities, or you end up with a Colton Gillies, a Colton Orr, a Marc-Andre Cliche (I think its him).

Cliche was traded for Avery and wasn't really a tough guy or gritty player, just kind of your run of the mill all arounder who couldn't realistically crack the NHL

effen

Feb 3, 2018
Cliche was traded for Avery and wasn't really a tough guy or gritty player, just kind of your run of the mill all arounder who couldn't realistically crack the NHL
I thought he was a gritty McGrit. He has 14 points in 151 games, maybe he just had naked pictures of Roy and farm animals.

He had to be at least very good defensively, he had 7 point in 74 games as a forward and was only a -2. That's really hard to do.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I thought he was a gritty McGrit. He has 14 points in 151 games, maybe he just had naked pictures of Roy and farm animals.

He had to be at least very good defensively, he had 7 point in 74 games as a forward and was only a -2. That's really hard to do.

Dunno, maybe he remade his game that way, but he wasn't drafted for grit as I recall

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Rykov turning into another Orlov would be great. Orlov isn't perfect but he's underappreciated by a lot of people and is a real good player.If the Rangers got that out of Rykov...that's a top pairing guy

Style and value isn't the same thing. Gilmour and Zubov have a similar style, but very different values. Skjei and Lias have very different styles, but fairly similar values.

Reactions: Joey Bones

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
Everybody was hoping for Bueke version 2, I was. Shame, he really worked hard on his skating then that prospect camp injury missing a crucial 1 1/2 years.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
His chances playing here were slim to none after opting out of Hartford. Funny thing is unless he totally shit the bed in Hartford, he would have at least gotten a cup of coffee with the Rangers. His impatience really worked against him here.

My overview on his play, he was totally unimpressive during the preseason. He didn't get a huge chance but still. I didn't see him in Hartford but I think he was slowly improving according to reports. Sometimes you have to take a step back to go further. I understand the money thing and going back to Russia. But unless the player is a superstar, going to a different culture to play a sport, it takes time to get accustomed to the culture and the smaller rinks etc etc.

I think I wasted more time making this post then Beargloves did trying to actually make the Rangers.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
His chances playing here were slim to none after opting out of Hartford. Funny thing is unless he totally **** the bed in Hartford, he would have at least gotten a cup of coffee with the Rangers. His impatience really worked against him here.

My overview on his play, he was totally unimpressive during the preseason. He didn't get a huge chance but still. I didn't see him in Hartford but I think he was slowly improving according to reports. Sometimes you have to take a step back to go further. I understand the money thing and going back to Russia. But unless the player is a superstar, going to a different culture to play a sport, it takes time to get accustomed to the culture and the smaller rinks etc etc.

I think I wasted more time making this post then Beargloves did trying to actually make the Rangers.

:laugh:

Reactions: Miamipuck

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
His chances playing here were slim to none after opting out of Hartford. Funny thing is unless he totally **** the bed in Hartford, he would have at least gotten a cup of coffee with the Rangers. His impatience really worked against him here.

Not only that, but he was mediocre at Traverse City playing against kids. Could be chalked up to acclimation, but still, a grown man who's been playing professionally should be able to school teams of kids, many of whom will never sniff NHL ice.

Reactions: Miamipuck

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Nowwwwwwwww I can never hear this guys name again? I was amazed it was popping up again the last few weeks Jesus lol

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Howden is already a better prospect than Lias very little doubt in my mind. Has the size and skating ability you want. Similar skill set although Lias shoots the puck better.

He was awesome for Canada in the WJC.

Lias future here is on the wing where he can use his strength and get to the net. I think he’ll do some of what J.T. Miller did for us. A winger that can take faceoffs and shift to center when needed use his strength on the walls but unlike J.T. kill penalties play powerplay here and defend well.

He’ll be on the ice with Howden with a minute to go protecting a lead face off in our end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad