Prospect Info: Rangers Prospects Thread (Stats in Post #1; Updated 5.29.18)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
The takeaway from watching Howden over the last several years is that he plays a very NHL-style game.

The biggest "development" in his game since his draft year, is the offense. If he can bring higher than originally expected offense to his game, then that's what will make him a heck of a player.

Reactions: GregSirico

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
My Pens fan cousin one upped that and just said he's a 3rd line center. And then was like tell me the teams that he's not a 3rd line center on. I won't lie there are quite a few teams where you can make that case.

Based on points, I don't think there are a lot of team aside from Pittsburgh and Boston where he'd be the 3rd best center

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Алексей Береглазов: «Рейнджерс?» Ни о чём не жалею и об НХЛ пока не думаю»

Bereglazov had an interview in Russian media. One of the questions was whether he regretted leaving Rangers too soon. He said he was aware that the organization took direction to get younger soon after he left but he said what’s done is done and he’s right now in arenda and his all thoughts are on Gagarin Cup playoffs.

He is still expected to come over for our next training camp, I assume?

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
He's under contract so he has to i would think.

Good, hope that's the case. I would really like to see him get an extended look so we can compare him to our other young guys.

He was unimpressive at TC and in pre-season last year, no way around it, but having one more guy competing for a spot is always a good thing. Especially with a solid resume like Bereglazov has.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Pionk and ADA took a step forward. Did Bereglazov?

Did ADA? I'm not convinced him or Gilmour are good enough to play in the NHL.

I think there's plenty of room for Bereglazov. But after what happened last training camp, I'm not sure he returns with much of a chance to make the roster next season. I don't think I've seen an accomplished KHL player given less of a chance to make the NHL team. They gave him one game. I believe Crawley who clearly wasn't going to play in the NHL this season got two preseason games.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's

I think there's plenty of room for Bereglazov. But after what happened last training camp, I'm not sure he returns with much of a chance to make the roster next season. I don't think I've seen an accomplished KHL player given less of a chance to make the NHL team. They gave him one game. I believe Crawley who clearly wasn't going to play in the NHL this season got two preseason games.

Gilmour and ADA have both been miles better than Bereglazov was for his entire TCT and during pre-season. You're just biased towards him because you backed him out of the gate.

Bear Gloves might show up more prepared for the NA game this year, but he wasn't noticeable against kids at the TCT tournament last year, so he needs to step it up. I hope he makes the team, but I give all of ADA, Gilmour and Pionk better chances at doing so.

Reactions: Joey Bones

wafflepadsave

May 28, 2011
Franklin, Tn

Yeah and I thought crawley did ok in his 2 preseason games yet hasn’t shown much this season.

darko

Feb 16, 2009

He never should've left Pack.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Gilmour and ADA have both been miles better than Bereglazov was for his entire TCT and during pre-season. You're just biased towards him because you backed him out of the gate.

Bear Gloves might show up more prepared for the NA game this year, but he wasn't noticeable against kids at the TCT tournament. I hope he makes the team, but I give all of ADA, Gilmour and Pionk better chances at doing so.

They were all bad at TC, all of them. Buchnevich wasn't good the year he played TC. Didn't Jimmy Sweepstakes set the record for goals at that tournament? It really means nothing.

You can say I backed him, but I backed the best players to make the team. Whether that was Pionk, DeAngelo, Graves, Bereglazov, I wanted the best players during preseason to make the team, and I thought the first three all played well in preseason. Only one of them made the team though because of the log-jam of plugs, which I didn't understand.

Would Bereglazov have also played well and deserved to make the team? It's hard to know, but to claim he got a fair shot is absurd. He got 1 game, and he wasn't all that bad. Even if he was though, if an NHL team only schedules one preseason game for a player, they have no chance to make the team.

Also, we should separate playing the best/being the best and having a chance to play under the current management. Gorton seems to really be going away from players with size and is using a lot of smaller, more offensive style defensemen. I completely agree that Bereglazov has nearly no chance to make the team next season, but I think he might be one of our six best defensemen.

Last edited:

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Yeah, if he'd stayed down there that would of been ideal. Could of adjusted to the style of play over here and gotten a call up along with all of other young guys.

He would've been up couple months ago had he stayed imo.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Yeah and I thought crawley did ok in his 2 preseason games yet hasn’t shown much this season.

I still think he could help the NHL team later next season or the season after.

Easier said than done to ask a professional hockey player to leave what probably amounts to 1 million or so on the table. That would only not be the case if he played for the NHL team, and I don't think many people would've expected us to go into full tank mode where we sell off a lot of players. After only getting one preseason game, he might've also thought he was just out of favor with management.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
They were all bad at TC, all of them. Buchnevich wasn't good the year he played TC. Didn't Jimmy Sweepstakes set the record for goals at that tournament? It really means nothing.

You can say I backed him, but I backed the best players to make the team. Whether that was Pionk, DeAngelo, Graves, Bereglazov, I wanted the best players during preseason to make the team, and I thought the first three all played well in preseason. Only one of them made the team though because of the log-jam of plugs, which I didn't understand.

Would Bereglazov have also played well and deserved to make the team? It's hard to know, but to claim he got a fair shot is absurd. He got 1 game, and he wasn't all that bad. Even if he was though, if an NHL team only schedules one preseason game for a player, they have no chance to make the team.

They probably could of gotten him in another pre-season game or two, I agree. But since I don't get to see our team scrimmages and drills, all I have to judge him by are the games I seen him play; and he was mediocre. There was one game (the second TCT game I think) where I came away from it thinking that he played well.

By all accounts, his game was coming along in the AHL, but obviously not enough to force management's hand. ADA's puck skills are high end, Gilmour is an AHL all-star, and Pionk has come along very quickly. I need to see Bereglazov come over and actually play well before I put him ahead of any of those guys.

I agree with you on ADA and Graves; was hoping they would somehow both be on our opening night roster.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

It is definitely on him. I wonder how he evaluated what he’s done to showcase himself. I wonder if he got scared he’d get stuck in Hartford and won’t get another chance behind Pionk, ADA (and Graves).

darko

Feb 16, 2009
I still think he could help the NHL team later next season or the season after.

Easier said than done to ask a professional hockey player to leave what probably amounts to 1 million or so on the table. That would only not be the case if he played for the NHL team, and I don't think many people would've expected us to go into full tank mode where we sell off a lot of players. After only getting one preseason game, he might've also thought he was just out of favor with management.

KHL was always going to be there for him. If the goal was to one day play in NHL then he should've toughed it out.

Reactions: Miamipuck

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
The takeaway from watching Howden over the last several years is that he plays a very NHL-style game.

The biggest "development" in his game since his draft year, is the offense. If he can bring higher than originally expected offense to his game, then that's what will make him a heck of a player.
What’s Howden’s floor and what’s his ceiling? Any players currently you can drawn comparisons to?

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
KHL was always going to be there for him. If the goal was to one day play in NHL then he should've toughed it out.

Bear Gloves was freaking awful in the preseason. He got the appropriate amount of ice time for what he showed, good lord (not directed @ you).

He should have stayed in NA and proved himself a little bit. If he did, the way it looks now, he would have gotten a cup of coffee because as terrible as he was, I am sure it was part of the adjustment to a new environment and a different type of game.

Reactions: Joey Bones
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad