Prospect Info: Rangers Prospects Thread (Stats in Post #1; Updated 5.29.18)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Yeah and Burke. I think they're 1-2 in scoring in the WHL. I know Halbgewachs got a contract from SJ, but I don't really think either he or Burke are legitimate prospects. They're more like St. Croix or Brendan Shinnimin.

Personally, what I like about the way Howden has come along is that it's been steady and consistent. I always get nervous when I see kid's numbers really jump in his last season. For Howden, it's been more of a gradual process. Likewise, I've seen plenty of guys who peaked in their D1 season and then plateaued or fell slightly in their D2 season.

But if Howden comes close to his ceiling, he'll be about more than the numbers. He has a shot to be a guy you can roll out there in the critical moments of a game - either to get a lead, or to protect one.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Shanahan could've been a Ranger twice - in 95 and in 96.

It's ironic that the talent the Rangers didn't roll the dice on, was probably the one guy they should've. And the prospects they elected to hold onto, were probably the guys they should've moved.

Obviously everything is 20/20 in hindsight, but it is good example of asset management. A few things occur differently in the early to mid-90s, and the Rangers very easily could've been what Detroit became.

In this case, the Rangers will be at a point in a few years where they're going to have to figure out which guys are part of the solution by staying here, and which ones could be moved to bring in missing pieces.

It’s why as much as you can be a fan of prospects, you can’t fall in love with them. Sundstrom, Dube, Jeff Brown, Malhotra, Brendl, Lundmark...prospects that could have gotten the Rangers much better players, prospects that fans didn’t want to part with because of the promise they were supposed to have. You have to be patient, but you have to know what you’re looking at.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Personally, what I like about the way Howden has come along is that it's been steady and consistent. I always get nervous when I see kid's numbers really jump in his last season. For Howden, it's been more of a gradual process. Likewise, I've seen plenty of guys who peaked in their D1 season and then plateaued or fell slightly in their D2 season.

But if Howden comes close to his ceiling, he'll be about more than the numbers. He has a shot to be a guy you can roll out there in the critical moments of a game - either to get a lead, or to protect one.

The Rangers could have two players like that in Howden and Andersson. I cannot emphasize enough how much they need to draft high end skill to go with what they already have.

Reactions: Joey Bones

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Hartford is going to have a lot of young talent against next year.

You're talking about at least two defenseman in Hajek and Day, Howden, maybe one or both of Andersson and Chytil, Ronning, Gettinger.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
The Rangers could have two players like that in Howden and Andersson. I cannot emphasize enough how much they need to draft high end skill to go with what they already have.

It'll be interesting to see if we have a reasonable consensus on here as to what constitutes high skill.

For example, I think Farabee is a high skill guy (who also works hard). Other people might not agree with that.

Likewise, they might consider someone high skill, or boom/bust who I don't think is worth it.

My concern is that it's very easy to fall in love with a "concept" of what we want. Actually defining it can be a bit tricky.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
It'll be interesting to see if we have a reasonable consensus on here as to what constitutes high skill.

For example, I think Farabee is a high skill guy (who also works hard). Other people might not agree with that.

Likewise, they might consider someone high skill, or boom/bust who I don't think is worth it.

My concern is that it's very easy to fall in love with a "concept" of what we want. Actually defining it can be a bit tricky.

I just want a #1 center, a #1 D man and two high-scoring wingers. Is that too much to ask?

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I just want a #1 center, a #1 D man and two high-scoring wingers. Is that too much to ask?

Not at all.

Find them on the other hand...

I don't see the Rangers solving their center issues via this draft.

Defense is a possibility, as are the scoring wingers.

I just can't help but shake the feeling that a significant trade or two is coming at the draft.

One for a prospect and extra pick, the other a vet swap.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Not at all.

Find them on the other hand...

I don't see the Rangers solving their center issues via this draft.

Defense is a possibility, as are the scoring wingers.

I just can't help but shake the feeling that a significant trade or two is coming at the draft.

One for a prospect and extra pick, the other a vet swap.

Definitely agree with the first, not sure about the second. Also hoping that the center can be found in next year’s draft. I’ll be happy with the Dman and two wingers in this draft.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Definitely agree with the first, not sure about the second. Also hoping that the center can be found in next year’s draft. I’ll be happy with the Dman and two wingers in this draft.

I see the Rangers having two picks in this draft.

Their high pick, and then a pick that they don't currently own - probably around 20. I see them acquiring the latter for their two later first round picks, and maybe adding a third or fourth as part of the exchange.

If the Rangers pick a little lower with their high pick, I think it's going to be Farabee, Dobson or Bouchard.

If they have a pick like the 20th, I have a feeling they're going for a guy like Bokk, Olofsson or Kaut.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ

Their high pick, and then a pick that they don't currently own - probably around 20. I see them acquiring the latter for their two later first round picks, and maybe adding a third or fourth as part of the exchange.

If the Rangers pick a little lower with their high pick, I think it's going to be Farabee, Dobson or Bouchard.

If they have a pick like the 20th, I have a feeling they're going for a guy like Bokk, Olofsson or Kaut.

I see them having three, but they’ll get one in the deal for Zuccarello. The TB 1st will be used to either move up from their own pick, or used to move up from the pick they get from the Zuccarello trade. They could then use the Boston pick to trade down to add a 2nd. Frankly, I think Gorton is going to be trading both before the draft and over the course of the draft.

TheBPA

Jul 1, 2004

This could end up being what they do but I really hope it isn’t how things play out. I just don’t see the value in trading 2 late 20’s picks for 1 early 20’s pick. I’d much rather have 2 bites at the apple at that point.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

I will be happy if the Rangers find a true elite level or at least a very good 1D, then having a quality depth at C but without a superstar could work too.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
This could end up being what they do but I really hope it isn’t how things play out. I just don’t see the value in trading 2 late 20’s picks for 1 early 20’s pick. I’d much rather have 2 bites at the apple at that point.

Personally, I would prefer that scenario as well.

I guess it all depends on if they think the players they like will last until they are picking.

If they really like a guy at 20, they could very well move. If they have a bunch of guys clustered together, or think their guy will be there a few picks later, by all means keep the extra picks.

Knowing this regime, I have a hunch they will look to move around.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I think a lot has to do with how teams perceive the tiers of draftees. When players they hope to be around come off the board and what's left becomes like the next group of 3 or 4 or 5 or 6 they become more willing to move down. The Rangers second 1st rounder and their early 2nd (let's say they're 25 and 38) might be enough to move them up several spots depending. These things fluctuate anyway but I do expect the Rangers to try to move into the top 5 and failing that trying to move into the late teens or early 20's for their second 1st rounder and still possibly have the late Tampa first rounder without moving Zuccarello or somebody else. Just saying their 2nd's could be in play too.

The other thing is if they fall outside the 7-8 range with the lottery. Do they trade down a few slots with the early pick?

Last edited:

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
Yeah and Burke. I think they're 1-2 in scoring in the WHL. I know Halbgewachs got a contract from SJ, but I don't really think either he or Burke are legitimate prospects. They're more like St. Croix or Brendan Shinnimin.

I dare you to try and say that name 10 times in a row. Hell I dare anyone.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
I think a lot has to do with how teams perceive the tiers of draftees. When players they hope to be around come off the board and what's left becomes like the next group of 3 or 4 or 5 or 6 they become more willing to move down. The Rangers second 1st rounder and their early 2nd (let's say they're 25 and 38) might be enough to move them up several spots depending. These things fluctuate anyway but I do expect the Rangers to try to move into the top 5 and failing that trying to move into the late teens or early 20's for their second 1st rounder and still possibly have the late Tampa first rounder without moving Zuccarello or somebody else. Just saying their 2nd's could be in play too.

The other thing is if they fall outside the 7-8 range with the lottery. Do they trade down a few slots with the early pick?

I don't see Gorton trading down with that pick.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
WHL has solid highlights on their website. Better quality than most AHL teams haha.

Hajek's goal was nice, he's got a real heavy wrister. He looks to have the best combination of offense and defense in a 19/20-yo NYR blueline prospect in some time.

Howden's 1+1 from a few days ago was similarly nice. Kid has good wheels. No look primary assist and a strong no-nonsense breakaway finish.

Would encourage everyone with a snow day to check it out.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
WHL has solid highlights on their website. Better quality than most AHL teams haha.

Hajek's goal was nice, he's got a real heavy wrister. He looks to have the best combination of offense and defense in a 19/20-yo NYR blueline prospect in some time.

Howden's 1+1 from a few days ago was similarly nice. Kid has good wheels. No look primary assist and a strong no-nonsense breakaway finish.

Would encourage everyone with a snow day to check it out.

But no, he's got 3rd pairing upside.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Does anyone else think that these second and third tier prospects like Hajek and Howden will have the experts more conservative and skewing towards predicting less potential to not expose themselves? They're just playing the odds. That's why I don't think the "well the experts say these guys are middling prospects" argument necessarily holds water.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I don't see Gorton trading down with that pick.

Probably not but there are a lot of unknowns right now. There are multiple teams with more than one 1st rounder--Detroit has theirs and Vegas's, Chicago has theirs and Nashville's, the Islanders have theirs and Calgary's, Ottawa has theirs and Pittsburgh's. Montreal has 4 second rounders plus their own 1st. They could make a deal for one of our later 1st rounders. There are also prospects and roster players that can come into play. Our team plus the above 5 teams could all be bunched up in the draft order or there could be a small gap between picks. If someone is all in on one player and we've kind of got three players really really close then you might make a move depending on what extra they'll pay.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Too many variables at this point. First things first - let’s see where these picks position. I would generally prefer not to consolidate picks to move up a few spots, but it is always depends on a particular situation with its own context.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad