Prospect Info: Rangers Prospects Thread (Stats in Post #1; Updated 10.17.18) *Part II*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Generally speaking, this board has a really hard time letting go and moving on from things.

The kids we just drafted were three when Jessiman was picked, we have currently two centers in our lineup who were in kindergarten and preschool at the time. To dwell on 2003 in 2018 is like dwelling on the 1988 draft in 2003.

But based on what I've seen, I'm not sure that would've been the panacea. I mean this is also an organization that made it to the cup finals, and was 3 wins away from making two other appearances.

Looking at many of the comments, you'd never guess we're coming off one of the most successful eras in franchise history and have arguably ranked in the top 10 in drafting over the last 13 years.

Something tells me that even swapping Jessiman and Tarasenko for other picks only would've shifted the complaining to a different area.
It doesn’t help either that the one elite F talent we drafted died. The conversations about us never drafting elite talent on Cherry’s 10 year anniversary were just...weird to me.

Outside of 2003 and 2010, what elite talent have we passed on or were even in position to draft?

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
It doesn’t help either that the one elite F talent we drafted died. The conversations about us never drafting elite talent on Cherry’s 10 year anniversary were just...weird to me.

Outside of 2003 and 2010, what elite talent have we passed on or were even in position to draft?
Unless we're talking about guys like Benn, Kucherov and Gaudreau that literally every team in the league passed on, including the ones that drafted them.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Unless we're talking about guys like Benn, Kucherov and Gaudreau that literally every team in the league passed on, including the ones that drafted them.
Yeah, that’s kinda my point. It’s easy to go back in hindsight to say we easily missed these guys, but so did everyone in the league, multiple times over. Guys like Kucherov don’t fall to the second round now, especially with how lower leagues the like MHL and VHL get more scouting.

Heckler81

Oct 14, 2017

The name that really sticks out to me is Tarasenko. I really wanted him at the draft.

Reactions: egelband

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere

"Lias has been coming to the rink with the mindset of continuing to get better every day and he has been playing well as of late. He has done a better job of consistently keeping his feet moving and supporting pucks and, as a result, he's been able to capitalize on his scoring chances. He has been putting in the work, spending time with me reviewing his shifts back, and he has also been doing extra off-ice workouts in the gym." - Hartford Wolf Pack Head Coach Keith McCambridge on Lias Andersson

"We knew what we got there. He's had a great six weeks in practice and he deserved to be on the ice to start (the game), and obviously (his goal) was a big goal for us. I think he brings so much to our team; I think he's really hard to play against because of his physical strength and his skating ability, and he's able to defend as well as any player. He's got a bright future." - University of Wisconsin Head Coach Tony Granato on K'Andre Miller following his collegiate debut (Credit: Wisconsin Hockey)

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
"Lias has been a waste of a 7th overall pick. You need elite talent at 7. Dont tell me about how rare it is to find elite talent at 7! We should be seeing Wayne lemieux dangling through opposing defenses. Instead we have blonde molasses skating 8 feet behind every play" - Hartford Wolf Pack Head Coach Keith McCambridge on Lias Andersson

"Idk how you say his name but he was going to be in the 2nd round. What idiot team moved up for him?" - University of Wisconsin Head Coach Tony Granato on K'Andre Miller following his collegiate debut (Credit: Wisconsin Hockey)

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
People always mention the negative, never focus on the positive.

Nobody expected Chytil to be picked in the 1st round, yet we reached for him at 21. Nobody is mentioning that.

Many want to be ‘right’ and be able to say I told you so and if they just copy what a few one man shows are predicting — supposedly the consensus —, and moving 1 or 2 names around to put their stamp on it, they will never be right about any off the board pick.

In this context I like reading someone like @ManUtdTobbe rankings more, which are very much his own, because that way I get info from his unique viewpoint and can weight it against my own and other first hand sources.

The consensus stuff just really suck. Look at Bode Wilde, non of these sources even remotely had him as low as he went. So many had Akil Thomas so high. One thing to really be wrong about something, but seeking safety in what someone else is predicting is just a default approach.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Talk to me about Riley Hughes.

He seems to be our highest scoring prospect and no one talks about him.
Going off raw numbers is misleading, he’s playing in a league that’s worse than the CHL and on the same line as a potential top-10 guy for this upcoming draft. Hughes himself is a pretty large project who’s going to go the college route next year and might need all 4 years of development there

Reactions: Joey Bones

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Talk to me about Riley Hughes.

He seems to be our highest scoring prospect and no one talks about him.
I talked to you this morning about him. Did you miss it?

He plays in a league where everyone scores and is playing with a guy who could potentially go top-five, and definitely top-ten, in the upcoming draft. He's big and raw and going to Northeastern next year where we'll see where he's at developmentally. His numbers are reasonable considering his circumstances but not otherwise noteworthy. He's doing about as you'd expect.

The two guys ahead of him in scoring on his team are both younger. Steven Fogarty played in the league one year and had 82 points in 60 games. That was good for sixth on his team. The other guys played fewer or the same games. Only one of them played NHL games, Mike Reilly, who is a fringe guy. Granted this team was historically good, but still. Need to consider the context.

BroadwayStorm

Aug 2, 2005
New York City
Please someone tell me we have good things coming up. Someone please tell me what the team will look like if it were just built from within with the players we already have in the system in lets say 3 years time. I am thinking

Chytil - Next years number 1 center - Kravtsov
Kreider (A) - Andersson (C) - Buchnevich
Ronning - Howden - Fast (A)
_____- Fogarty - _____

Skjei - _____
Hajek - Pionk
Miller - Lindgren

On the fence Day, Lindkvist, Keane, etc

Shesterkin
Georgiev? [nah he probably gets traded by then]

I expect Zbad, Hayes, Shattenkirk, Zuc all traded or not resigned by then

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Many want to be ‘right’ and be able to say I told you so and if they just copy what a few one man shows are predicting — supposedly the consensus —, and moving 1 or 2 names around to put their stamp on it, they will never be right about any off the board pick.

In this context I like reading someone like @ManUtdTobbe rankings more, which are very much his own, because that way I get info from his unique viewpoint and can weight it against my own and other first hand sources.

The consensus stuff just really suck. Look at Bode Wilde, non of these sources even remotely had him as low as he went. So many had Akil Thomas so high. One thing to really be wrong about something, but seeking safety in what someone else is predicting is just a default approach.

This is why you'll never see me form an opinion on NA prospects because I don't see enough of them. I always laugh when I see someone post a list of his top 62 including some guys who play in u18 competitions in Sweden or Finland. How are they forming their opinion? Nobody, not even pro scouts, sees enough games to rank 62 prospects a year ahead of the draft. Ranking them is one thing. Writing blurbs about them as if they saw them play in 10+ games is just laughable.

The "I have him at 19" posts in the prospects threads are my favorite. If you truly have enough to go on to rank them, you might as well give some insight on those players. But certain posters have perfected the art of reading other people's opinions and making it their own by changing a few words.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden

Appreciate that, especially given the fact we don't usually see eye to eye.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Appreciate that, especially given the fact we don't usually see eye to eye.

If I remember correctly you in 2017 had Pettersson No 1, Brännström No 4 (I think he will open a lot of eyes when he gets going in NA) and Tolvanen 8th. You also had a few players lower than most others that look like good reads.

For me seeing those type of reads are interesting because I would definitely not have made all of them myself.

I usually agree with what you write, but not on all topics of course... ;)

Reactions: ManUtdTobbe

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
If I remember correctly you in 2017 had Pettersson No 1, Brännström No 4 (I think he will open a lot of eyes when he gets going in NA) and Tolvanen 8th. You also had a few players lower than most others that look like good reads.

For me seeing those type of reads are interesting because I would definitely not have made all of them myself.

I usually agree with what you write, but not on all topics of course... ;)

Just want to say that this is great to see. People should still respect each other even if they disagree.

Anyway, regarding our prospects:

On October 26th and 28th, Slovan Bratislava (with Virta) plays 2 games away from Bratislava. The KHL announced back in August that they are looking to promote the game by having games in Zurich and Vienna. The games Slovan plays are in October, in Vienna. My birthday is October 28th and they are playing in my backyard?! Looks like I will be walking to the arena for a KHL game. How cool is that?!

44224953_1873067072801328_7726835474777505792_n.png

I also bought tickets for the Friday game, because I might as well go to both games!

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Please someone tell me we have good things coming up. Someone please tell me what the team will look like if it were just built from within with the players we already have in the system in lets say 3 years time. I am thinking

Chytil - Next years number 1 center - Kravtsov
Kreider (A) - Andersson (C) - Buchnevich
Ronning - Howden - Fast (A)
_____- Fogarty - _____

Skjei - _____
Hajek - Pionk
Miller - Lindgren

On the fence Day, Lindkvist, Keane, etc

Shesterkin
Georgiev? [nah he probably gets traded by then]

I expect Zbad, Hayes, Shattenkirk, Zuc all traded or not resigned by then
Ronning didn't play the first three games this year and he has been given limited minutes in the next two, without recording a shot. I was never that high on his NHL chances, but I guess you never know. He's still a long shot.

Fontaine could push for a fourth line spot next year. Tim Gettinger looked great in camp and is off to a quick start this year with 3 goals in 5 games. He could make an appearance before this year is over. Michael Lindqvist and Ville Meskanen have also looked good in the three Pack games I have watched. I'm more optimistic about Meskanen, but they both have chances (though it's possible we don't bring Lindqvist back if he expresses a desire to go home). From the Euro group, I'd really just say Patrik Virta.

On defense, Those guys may all be ready in 3 years. I wouldn't write off Chris Bigras--he has looked phenomenal this year, IMO. He was once a higher-end prospect before a concussion. He seems like he's getting back to it. I want him to get a chance this year, if possible. Yegor Rykov will also be here next year, and while I'm not as high on him as most, he's a good prospect with NHL potential.

In goal you'll probably also have Huska and maybe Wall to consider within the next three years.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Just want to say that this is great to see. People should still respect each other even if they disagree.

Anyway, regarding our prospects:

On October 26th and 28th, Slovan Bratislava (with Virta) plays 2 games away from Bratislava. The KHL announced back in August that they are looking to promote the game by having games in Zurich and Vienna. The games Slovan plays are in October, in Vienna. My birthday is October 28th and they are playing in my backyard?! Looks like I will be walking to the arena for a KHL game. How cool is that?!

44224953_1873067072801328_7726835474777505792_n.png

I also bought tickets for the Friday game, because I might as well go to both games!

Virta heard about your shenanigans with Lias and Vitaly and has already filed a restraining order against you.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Ronning didn't play the first three games this year and he has been given limited minutes in the next two, without recording a shot. I was never that high on his NHL chances, but I guess you never know. He's still a long shot.

Fontaine could push for a fourth line spot next year. Tim Gettinger looked great in camp and is off to a quick start this year with 3 goals in 5 games. He could make an appearance before this year is over. Michael Lindqvist and Ville Meskanen have also looked good in the three Pack games I have watched. I'm more optimistic about Meskanen, but they both have chances (though it's possible we don't bring Lindqvist back if he expresses a desire to go home). From the Euro group, I'd really just say Patrik Virta.

On defense, Those guys may all be ready in 3 years. I wouldn't write off Chris Bigras--he has looked phenomenal this year, IMO. He was once a higher-end prospect before a concussion. He seems like he's getting back to it. I want him to get a chance this year, if possible. Yegor Rykov will also be here next year, and while I'm not as high on him as most, he's a good prospect with NHL potential.

In goal you'll probably also have Huska and maybe Wall to consider within the next three years.

Fontaine is going to have a harder time pushing for an NHL spot unless the offense picks up.

He's sound defensively, and the effort is always there, but generally speaking even fourth line NHL players tended to produce at the AHL level. In 73 AHL games, Fontaine has 10 goals and 19 points.

He has to be careful that he doesn't fall into the category of being a solid hand at the AHL level who brings stability to a farm team's lineup and helps elevate more talented prospects to the big leagues.

That's the key difference between someone who becomes more of a fourth line regular, versus someone who is more of a tweener.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Fontaine is going to have a harder time pushing for an NHL spot unless the offense picks up.

He's sound defensively, and the effort is always there, but generally speaking even fourth line NHL players tended to produce at the AHL level. In 73 AHL games, Fontaine has 10 goals and 19 points.

He has to be careful that he doesn't fall into the category of being a solid hand at the AHL level who brings stability to a farm team's lineup and helps elevate more talented prospects to the big leagues.

That's the key difference between someone who becomes more of a fourth line regular, versus someone who is more of a tweener.

This is an interesting post to me. What would be considered a god season for a guy like Fontaine? 35 points?

For example, a guy like Nieves played 4 years in college, then put up 18 point sin 40 games and 21 points in 40 games. Obviously a higher pace than Fontaine but Fontaine played in the AHL a year earlier than Nieves did.

The reason I bring up Nieves is because if it wasn't for the injuries, I would assume Nieves would be this teams 4th line center which is exactly what Fontaine projects towards as a depth role player.

Here's another question (which I am not sure can be answered), how many minutes is Fontaine getting both last year and this year? mainly ES? PK? Obviously that will effect his point production in the AHL.

pblawr

Jul 16, 2016

It's probably not even worth mentioning after 5 games in a new league, but while Hajek's skating and defensive play have looked good to me, his ability to move the puck strikes me as a concern. He's struggled to move the puck out of our D Zone with control when under pressure and has had a few d zone turnovers, IIRC. Based on the games I've watched it's not surprising that he doesn't have any points in 5 games, even with a lot of PP time. Like I said, it's too premature to make a judgment after his first 5 games in a pro league, but it does seem to me like he needs to improve his passing and ability to make quick judgments about where to move the puck if he's going to become more than a bottom pairing defenseman. I have similar concerns about Lindgren. Personally, I'm higher on Miller, Lundkvist, Keane, and Rykov.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad