Prospect Info: Rangers Prospect Poll: #20 (FINAL ROUND)

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
G Brandon Halverson won round 198. RW Ty Ronning is added to the poll, so now all our goalies are added.

RULES CHANGE:

Since HF no longer functions beyond the forum, no reason to have their old rules. We do, however, need the same rules for everyone or else the rankings mean nothing.

SKATER PROSPECT: A player 24 or younger with 50 or fewer NHL games. Therefore, Adam Clendening has now graduated with 60 NHL games under his belt and the full season on the NHL roster.

GOALIE PROSPECT: A player 25 or younger with 25 or fewer NHL games.

EXCEPTION 1: If a player completed the required 50/25 games, but is still not regarded as an NHL regular because he's shuffling between the NHL and the AHL, he could still be a prospect as long as he's 24 or younger and if agreed upon by most people here.

EXCEPTION 2: A player who is no older than 25 years old at the time of the vote and is a borderline NHLer could still count if agreed upon by most people here. Hrivik falls under this exception.

TOP PROSPECTS

1. LW/RW Pavel Buchnevich
2. LW Jimmy Vesey
3. D Brady Skjei
4. G Igor Shesterkin
5. D Ryan Graves

SECOND TIER

6. G Adam Huska
7. D Sean Day
8. D Sergey Zborovskiy
9. C/LW Boo Nieves
10. G Tyler Wall

PROJECTS & SUSPECTS

11. RW Robin Kovacs
12. C/LW Marek Hrivik
13. D Michael Paliotta
14. LW Ryan Gropp
15. LW Tim Gettinger
16. RW Nicklas Jensen
17. C Adam Tambellini
18. C Gabriel Fontaine
19. G Brandon Halverson

Brandon Halverson
Goalie -- shoots R
Born Mar 29 1996 -- Traverse City, MI
Height 6.04 -- Weight 203

2016-17 Hartford Wolf Pack AHL 14GP 5-8-0 3.42 0.882

5a26297625526b6e7b20af76abedc862.jpg

REMAINING RANGERS PROPERTY

DEFENSEMEN

1. D Tommy Hughes
2. D Troy Donnay
3. D Tyler Nanne

FORWARDS

1. LW Malte Stromwall
2. RW Daniel Bernhardt

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
I will go with Skapski. Goalies take longer to develop and he's already played 2 good NHL games plus was really good in his rookie year in Hartford. I'm still hoping it's just an injury bothering him and he will return to form. Two NHL games is probably more than any of the remaining guys will ever play.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I will go with Skapski. Goalies take longer to develop and he's already played 2 good NHL games plus was really good in his rookie year in Hartford. I'm still hoping it's just an injury bothering him and he will return to form. Two NHL games is probably more than any of the remaining guys will ever play.

All of this^, tho I went w/Gilmour
have voted consistently Skapski over Halvy
both are a victim of #s, although pretty much this point on its all dregs

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
This is a tough one for me between Gilmour, Fogarty, Ronning and Morrison.

I think both Gilmour and Fogarty has a pretty good shot at becoming NHL players, but i'm not sure they'll ever be more then 6/7 D or 12/13 F. Then you have Ronning and Morrison who both have certain attributes which gives them (imo) a higher ceiling but they're also very likely to never make it to the NHL. The age old question between ceiling and floor i guess, i'm going with Ronning though since i really like his skillset.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I don't think the cutoff should be 20 because Morrison, Tarmo, Fogarty, Ronning, and Skapski all at least provide some upside, albeit minimal. Guys like Gilmour, Donnay, Hughes, Bernhardt, and Nanne are the ones that have zero NHL future.

FoxysExpensiveNYDigs

Boo Nieves Truther
Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Tarmo. Really interested to see how he does next year, had a major injury last season and while he's been lackluster this season that's understandable as he basically lost a year of development last season.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Fogarty is the only name on this list that I think is even remotely likely to have an NHL career. So he's my choice.

I would have said the same for Skapski entering the year, but I don't know what happened to him.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He's like 5'7, averages less than a PPG as a 19 year old, wasn't good at the prospects camp, didn't make the WJC team and wasn't close to doing so. I really don't think so.

And if you think I am being harsh, wait until Beacon next logs in, he probably thinks Ronning is done as a prospect. :sarcasm:

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
He's like 5'7, averages less than a PPG as a 19 year old, wasn't good at the prospects camp, didn't make the WJC team and wasn't close to doing so. I really don't think so.

And if you think I am being harsh, wait until Beacon next logs in, he probably thinks Ronning is done as a prospect. :sarcasm:

He's actually 5'9 and while his PPG is just fine his P/60 is really good so he's a very good 5v5 producer, not sure if he's not good on the PP or if he's just not getting enough ice-time to get more points but his P/60 numbers show that he's a very good producer. He's also absolutely relentless on the forecheck and is improving in just about every aspect of the game.

But hey, if you want to be from the stone age and just look at his height and his raw PPG then be my guest.

Edit: We have the ability to look deeper into his stats then to just look at his raw points total and how many games it took him to get there, so why not use that?

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville

I disagree. I thought he brought a lot of energy @ Traverse. He was there for the whole tournament and played consistently. There were plenty of players that played far worse than Ronning. Ronning was fine.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
He's actually 5'9 and while his PPG is just fine his P/60 is really good so he's a very good 5v5 producer, not sure if he's not good on the PP or if he's just not getting enough ice-time to get more points but his P/60 numbers show that he's a very good producer. He's also absolutely relentless on the forecheck and is improving in just about every aspect of the game.

I really don't know. I think those stats are interesting, but I wouldn't take those stats to mean he's having a very good season. I've watched him a few times. I watched him at the prospects camp and in the Super Series, and I thought he just didn't look very good. He looked really overwhelmed playing with NHL talent. Not that he didn't have any, but at his size, you have to be so talented, not just a little bit talented to make the NHL. He is at such a physical disadvantage. In the end, you have to weight all these different elements, and figure out how much they matter.

Out of all our CHL prospects, Zborovskiy, Day and Gettinger are the three I like the most. I think Morrison and Gropp have significant talent, but things to work on. Fontaine I'm a little unsure about. I think he has NHL tools, but I don't know what exactly his upside is. If he's 4th line only like some have suggested, he needs to completely hit on his ceiling to make the NHL. Thats very difficult. Ronning is the CHL'er that I think is less likely to make the NHL. You can make the NHL at his height, but I think forwards at his size who make the NHL are usually more talented.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I disagree. I thought he brought a lot of energy @ Traverse. He was there for the whole tournament and played consistently. There were plenty of players that played far worse than Ronning. Ronning was fine.

No, I think you are right. He showed energy, I just disagree that showing a lot of energy and effort is the same as playing well for a player like him. I wanted to see him make plays successfully at his size. He worked so hard, but there just wasn't a lot of execution because of his size. He's a hard working player, has some talent, good skater, but he's not ultra talented. He's not Johnny Gaudreau, Kane, Marner, Keller. He has NHL talent, if he was 6'0 tall, I think you could safely project him as a middle sixer, but he struggles against better talent because of his height. His lack of size is really evident. I think its very generous to call him 5'9, looks about 5'7 to me. Players his size need to be ultra skilled to make the NHL, and there have been very few exceptions.

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
No, I think you are right. He showed energy, I just disagree that showing a lot of energy and effort is the same as playing well for a player like him. I wanted to see him make plays successfully at his size. He worked so hard, but there just wasn't a lot of execution because of his size. He's a hard working player, has some talent, good skater, but he's not ultra talented. He's not Johnny Gaudreau, Kane, Marner, Keller. He has NHL talent, if he was 6'0 tall, I think you could safely project him as a middle sixer, but he struggles against better talent because of his height. His lack of size is really evident. I think its very generous to call him 5'9, looks about 5'7 to me. Players his size need to be ultra skilled to make the NHL, and there have been very few exceptions.

I think you bring up some good points.

Regarding execution, remember that this was only Traverse. Players @ Traverse don't have the luxury of playing with players they're comfortable and familiar with. Traverse is more like a free-for-all. Power Forwards shine....but not guys like Ronning. The most Ronning could hope to do was bring the energy and a forecheck. Which he did. Honestly, even Buch didn't look that great other than a few good passes.

Also, don't forget that Ronning plays on one of the worst teams in the WHL. He's not surrounded by talent...he's surrounded by scrubs...and still managing to put up close to PPG.

I think the book is far from out on Ronning. I think we can really start judging him once he reaches he A. I'm convinced he'll stick in the A as a productive player. Not saying he'll become an NHL dynamo...it will be hard for him...but he has a chance.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Given Ronning's size and age next year, he needs to score 1.6 to 1.8 points per game next year to be viewed as a good prospect. Not even a blue chipper, just someone with realistic odds.

There is a ton of scoring in the Juniors. Always keep in mind that our two least offensivrly talented defensemen prospects in recent years still had 0.5 ppg in the Juniors, then couldn't score to save a life in the ECHL. The Juniors are very easy offensively.

Plus if you look around the NHL, guys under 5'10 tend to be amazing talents because they are at such a disadvantage. The average registered player is 5'9, but the average pro, even in the minors is 6'1 to 6'2.

The fact that there are fewer goons now makes life more difficult for small guys, everyone is expected to fend for himself. About 4.7% of Junior players make the NHL. This number is maybe 2% for small guys. He better figure out how to be really dominant at that level before we rank him top-15.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
Given Ronning's size and age next year, he needs to score 1.6 to 1.8 points per game next year to be viewed as a good prospect. Not even a blue chipper, just someone with realistic odds.

There is a ton of scoring in the Juniors. Always keep in mind that our two least offensivrly talented defensemen prospects in recent years still had 0.5 ppg in the Juniors, then couldn't score to save a life in the ECHL. The Juniors are very easy offensively.

Plus if you look around the NHL, guys under 5'10 tend to be amazing talents because they are at such a disadvantage. The average registered player is 5'9, but the average pro, even in the minors is 6'1 to 6'2.

The fact that there are fewer goons now makes life more difficult for small guys, everyone is expected to fend for himself. About 4.7% of Junior players make the NHL. This number is maybe 2% for small guys. He better figure out how to be really dominant at that level before we rank him top-15.

My only issue with this is that you use only points per game when we have more metrics to use. PPG is dependent on ice time and especially PP ice time, i'm not saying that Ronning is a great prospect who will definitely make the NHL, i am however saying that he's having a very good season so far.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad