Prospect Info: Rangers Prospect poll: #14

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
D Michael Paliotta easily won round 13 tiebreaker. C Adam Tambellini is added to the poll.

RULES CHANGE:

Since HF no longer functions beyond the forum, no reason to have their old rules. We do, however, need the same rules for everyone or else the rankings mean nothing.

SKATER PROSPECT: A player 24 or younger with 50 or fewer NHL games. Therefore, Adam Clendening has now graduated with 60 NHL games under his belt and the full season on the NHL roster.

GOALIE PROSPECT: A player 25 or younger with 25 or fewer NHL games.

EXCEPTION 1: If a player completed the required 50/25 games, but is still not regarded as an NHL regular because he's shuffling between the NHL and the AHL, he could still be a prospect as long as he's 24 or younger and if agreed upon by most people here.

EXCEPTION 2: A player who is no older than 25 years old at the time of the vote and is a borderline NHLer could still count if agreed upon by most people here. Hrivik falls under this exception.

TOP PROSPECTS

1. LW/RW Pavel Buchnevich
2. LW Jimmy Vesey
3. D Brady Skjei
4. G Igor Shesterkin
5. D Ryan Graves

SECOND TIER

6. G Adam Huska
7. D Sean Day
8. D Sergey Zborovskiy
9. C/LW Boo Nieves
10. G Tyler Wall

PROJECTS & SUSPECTS

11. RW Robin Kovacs
12. C/LW Marek Hrivik
13. D Michael Paliotta

Michael Paliotta
Defense -- shoots R
Born Apr 6 1993 -- Westport, CT
Height 6.03 -- Weight 207

2016-17 Hartford Wolf Pack AHL 35 GP 1-6-7 16PIM

Prospect-Q&A-TEMPLATE-2014-paliotta.jpg

AVAILABLE TO BE ADDED

GOALIES

1. G Mackenzie Skapski

DEFENSEMEN

1. D Tarmo Reunanen
2. D Troy Donnay
3. D Tyler Nanne
4. D Tommy Hughes

FORWARDS

1. C Gabriel Fontaine
2. RW Daniel Bernhardt
3. RW Ty Ronning
4. LW Malte Stromwall
5. C Steven Fogarty
6. C Brad Morrison

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
Going with Gettinger, i really like his upside and he's already a better (and younger) player then Gropp.

Add Fontaine.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Going with Gettinger, i really like his upside and he's already a better (and younger) player then Gropp.

Add Fontaine.

Good point. Gettinger is over 1.5 years younger and 2 years behind in development (1996 birth vs 1998 birth), yet he has more points per game. Stats are not end all, be all, but what reason do we have to counter them? If anything, Gropp's stats are ballooned because he's playing with Barzal, who has 30 points in 19 games.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Gropp, add Morrsion. Are there guys left on the board with a better chance of making the NHL? Yes. Do their increased chances balance out Gropp's better upside? IMO, no.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
Gropps upside? He's stagnated as a PPGish player in the WHL, he's 20 and his 'only' really good attribute is his ability to get free in the slot. I don't really see that upside some people talk about. I think he can become a bottom-6er in the NHL if the stars align, that's about it though.

Edit: Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but could someone please explain this upside that Gropp supposedly has, what in his game screams NHL top 9er? Is there anything except the fact that NYR reached and got him in the 2nd round that points to him having this upside?

His size is OK, his skating is OK, his shot is good i guess? his hockey IQ is OK at best, his defensive game isn't much to write home about, i don't see it at all.

Last edited:

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
Gropps upside? He's stagnated as a PPGish player in the WHL, he's 20 and his 'only' really good attribute is his ability to get free in the slot. I don't really see that upside some people talk about. I think he can become a bottom-6er in the NHL if the stars align, that's about it though.

Edit: Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but could someone please explain this upside that Gropp supposedly has, what in his game screams NHL top 9er? Is there anything except the fact that NYR reached and got him in the 2nd round that points to him having this upside?

Gropp doesn't play a very physical game in the W, but I recall Gordie stating that he sees Gropp as a power forward when he drafted him.

He certainly has the size to be a power forward...and it would really benefit him to start playing a more physical game (i.e. - push people around more...cut in to the net harder when he is streaking down the wing). There is still hope that he can develop that style. He also has a nice wrist/snap shot and has a very quick release. Can get off his shot quickly from just about anywhere. Gropp can also turn on the jets when he needs to. We don't see it much in the limited highlights we get to view, but Gropp is a fast skater.

So basically, he has desirable tools. Size, Speed & Shot. He just needs to play a more courageous, physical/power game. If he can do that, we might have an NHLer on our hands.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
Gropp doesn't play a very physical game in the W, but I recall Gordie stating that he sees Gropp as a power forward when he drafted him.

He certainly has the size to be a power forward...and it would really benefit him to start playing a more physical game (i.e. - push people around more...cut in to the net harder when he is streaking down the wing). There is still hope that he can develop that style. He also has a nice wrist/snap shot and has a very quick release. Can get off his shot quickly from just about anywhere. Gropp can also turn on the jets when he needs to. We don't see it much in the limited highlights we get to view, but Gropp is a fast skater.

So basically, he has desirable tools. Size, Speed & Shot. He just needs to play a more courageous, physical/power game. If he can do that, we might have an NHLer on our hands.

Fair enough, i just don't see it in the games i've watched. I do see a good shot and he has a very good ability to get open, i'll give him that. But he's not physical at all and his skating is decent but nothing more from what i've seen. His hockey IQ is also a very big question mark.

I've seen a bit of Gettinger in the last few weeks and he's really improved his skating, he's got a pretty good shot and he's got good hands for a kid his size. He does need to use his size more aswell though so they are a little bit similar in that. The main thing i see in Gettinger that i don't see in Gropp is improvement, he's getting better, Gropp is still the same player he was when we drafted him.

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
Fair enough, i just don't see it in the games i've watched. I do see a good shot and he has a very good ability to get open, i'll give him that. But he's not physical at all and his skating is decent but nothing more from what i've seen. His hockey IQ is also a very big question mark.

I've seen a bit of Gettinger in the last few weeks and he's really improved his skating, he's got a pretty good shot and he's got good hands for a kid his size. He does need to use his size more aswell though so they are a little bit similar in that. The main thing i see in Gettinger that i don't see in Gropp is improvement, he's getting better, Gropp is still the same player he was when we drafted him.

I'll admit, I'm kind of obsessed with the W and haven't seen much of Gettinger in the O. When I saw him at Traverse, he just looked so gangly and awkward that I guess I didn't take him seriously. Seems he is getting used to playing with those long limbs and is able to out-size/out-reach guys in the O. Maybe he'll translate well to the AHL, I dunno. Have to see more of him.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
Going with Gettinger. He's gone from .46PPG, to .65PPG, to .88PPG this season in the OHL. His goal tallies have rocketed up as well. All while Gropp, who I still think has potential, has seen his numbers basically flatline over the past 3 seasons in the WHL.

Add Fontaine.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
I'll admit, I'm kind of obsessed with the W and haven't seen much of Gettinger in the O. When I saw him at Traverse, he just looked so gangly and awkward that I guess I didn't take him seriously. Seems he is getting used to playing with those long limbs and is able to out-size/out-reach guys in the O. Maybe he'll translate well to the AHL, I dunno. Have to see more of him.

Hard to watch much of the W for me since i'm in Sweden, can only watch when there are earlyish games on the weekends.

But yeah, Gettinger is really improving quite a bit in pretty much all aspects of the game, mostly it's just growing into his huge body.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's

Basically this. There hasn't been a single moment when I've liked the Gropp pick, but his tools could easily translate into something we haven't seen yet. And if they do, then he could be a handful at the NHL level. More of a handful than any guy left on the board. Again; terrible pick, and less likely to make the NHL than Gettinger, but if it clicks for him, we could have our own Corey Perry lite lite lite.

hockeyhelmut

Dec 19, 2014
Gropp add Morrison. I Like the way Morrison plays with an edge. He's yappy and scrappy like a Marchand type player. At 6' 170 he's not afraid to drop the gloves against bigger guys. Brandon Carlo comes to mind. Like Gropp's shot. He's fast. IMO he has potential.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Fontaine is a really good skater with some pretty good hands too, i don't see the similarities at all.

Fogarty has good hands. When he was drafted he was considered an offense-first player. He doesn't have Fontaine's wheels, that's true. But the comparison is based on the idea that they're both big, strong, defensively-oriented centers who profile as fourth line shutdown types in the NHL. The only difference between them at this point (in terms of their development profile) is that Fogarty is a couple years further down the line.

Fontaine's offensive development has been nice, but let's not pretend it's anything special or that he's suddenly looking like anything more than a fourth line player in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad