Rangers Prospect Poll (#10) Tie-Breaker

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kendo

Jun 16, 2006
The Hamburger Train.
Classic "riser vs faller" scenario. I still believe in BMB. Chmelar looks like SUCH a PITA to play against, that I'm super intrigued though.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
BMB has been back for a week and looked pretty darn good in a few games.

I like Chmelar too, but I'm a BMBeliever.

To me they're close. When I did my prospect list recently I had Chmelar at 8 and BMB at 9. I didn't even have a defenseman until 10 and it wasn't Jones--he was 11. I do think BMB has 2nd line upside. Chmelar I see as probable 3rd line wing upside. I think he's a safe bet to become an NHL forward---mainly because of his size, speed component and relatively decent hockey skills. You don't see all that many 6'5 230 lb. guys that can really motor. His two WJC tournaments particularly got my attention. Also I do look at Division 1 college hockey as a bit above CHL hockey as far as competition.....bigger, older guys if nothing else but also a tendency to be better on fundamentals owing somewhat to more time to practice and less run and gun. That said BMB is a really good player and wears the C for his team and has something of a two way game.....also pretty good size.

The reason I mention how I look at our prospect D though is I think it's gotten to the point where it's an organizational weakness.

Reactions: Kendo

Kendo

Jun 16, 2006
The Hamburger Train.
To me they're close. When I did my prospect list recently I had Chmelar at 8 and BMB at 9. I didn't even have a defenseman until 10 and it wasn't Jones--he was 11. I do think BMB has 2nd line upside. Chmelar I see as probable 3rd line wing upside. I think he's a safe bet to become an NHL forward---mainly because of his size, speed component and relatively decent hockey skills. You don't see all that many 6'5 230 lb. guys that can really motor. His two WJC tournaments particularly got my attention. Also I do look at Division 1 college hockey as a bit above CHL hockey as far as competition.....bigger, older guys if nothing else but also a tendency to be better on fundamentals and having more time to practice and less run and gun. That said BMB is a really good player and wears the C for his team and has something of a two way game.....also pretty good size.

The reason I mention how I look at our prospect D though is I think it's gotten to the point where it's an organizational weakness.
Funny, I had BMB 8. Doubted he'd make 10, but hoped he'd make 11 at least. I had Chmelar at 11 as "the next guy to break the top 10 after a Cuylle promotion (via GP) or a Jones trade or something."

It's such small differences because there have been three solid choices each round for the last 5+ rounds and there will be 3 solid choices for another 5+.

In a vacuum (so disregarding how much younger yet ineligible talent is on the main roster), we are missing one solid top 3 prospect (probably D) and maybe one barely out of the top 5 F...but our 6-15 is actually pretty nice!

Reactions: eco's bones

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
While I think it's fun to rank the prospects it might make more sense to put them into categories. I agree that BMB and Chmelar are close but it really doesn't matter which one is ahead of the other. Maybe when we finish the ranking we can come up with categories to place the players.
Star--Top two line/top four defense, starting goalie--bottom two line, bottom pair defense, backup goalie--has a chance--not NHL player. I'm sure we could come up with better categories. This was just off the top of my head.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Funny, I had BMB 8. Doubted he'd make 10, but hoped he'd make 11 at least. I had Chmelar at 11 as "the next guy to break the top 10 after a Cuylle promotion (via GP) or a Jones trade or something."

It's such small differences because there have been three solid choices each round for the last 5+ rounds and there will be 3 solid choices for another 5+.

In a vacuum (so disregarding how much younger yet ineligible talent is on the main roster), we are missing one solid top 3 prospect (probably D) and maybe one barely out of the top 5 F...but our 6-15 is actually pretty nice!

I like a lot of our forward prospects but mostly in a middle 6/bottom 6 kind of way but those are areas that our current team needs upgrading. It's great when someone is a top end talent but you shouldn't lose sight of that teams need more than just guys who can score though you want everyone up and down your lineup to at least chip in. I think we have plenty of top end talent so that bringing in guys with a variety of other strengths would help us out a great deal. I see BMB having one of the higher upsides....not just higher than Chmelar but also Edstrom, Berard and Sykora but I don't rank just necessarily on upside---I also kind of look at how I see them fitting in and I think some of these other guys might be easier fits. Also centers quite often end up on the wing either for a period of time or permanently. I think or hope in the next couple years we'll begin to see a younger, bigger, faster and better forechecking bottom two lines emerging out of some of these guys. I don't think we're going to see some of our veteran top liners moving out until after that happens. Guys like Panarin, Mika, Kreider and Trocheck still have plenty of term left....Lafreniere and Kakko still need to work themselves more into this top mix though I do see progress particularly with Lafreniere this year. Othmann and Cuylle could push in too. Chytil at this point is a ? He does need to take the time to get better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad