Confirmed with Link: Rangers name Jacques Martin as an Assistant Coach

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Well he isn't going to come out and bash a hire that he was a part of making but the fit was obvious on so many levels.

No of course not, I'm alluding to the fact that he is self aware enough to see his flaws and want to bring on a coach to help in that area. Many of these guys have way too much pride to ever do what Quinn did.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Seems like exactly what this team could use. More structured defense and an experienced coach with recent success to compliment Quinn

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want
Talk to me when his newly acquired replacement, replaces him

No, no I too like to come up with concrete thoughts in my head and then try to wildly warp reality into a pretzel in order appease them. It's my dogma!

...Oh and Mike Sullivan will be replacing Quinn, silly bones.

His previous role with NYR, his Pitt Stop, his multi-decade relationship with Quinn, his being a 3rd Master Free Mason... Martin is his herald. It all has been planned out since 1986. From the very beginning.

Reactions: TheTakedown

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
No, no I too like to come up with concrete thoughts in my head and then try to wildly warp reality into a pretzel in order appease them. It's my dogma!

His previous role with NYR, his Pitt Stop, his multi-decade relationship with Quinn, his being a 3rd Master Free Mason... Martin is his herald. It all has been planned out since 1986. From the very beginning.

What?!
Do you have selective reading syndrome?
Who ever said that?
Brainiac..Nice attempt at trying to be funny but go away now before you hurt yourself lol

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want
What?!
Do you have selective reading syndrome?
Who ever said that?
Brainiac..Nice attempt at trying to be funny but go away now before you hurt yourself lol

ME! I've said it! You just have to look deeper. I thought you'd see it too!

Mike Sullivan is on his last legs in Pitt. They aren't getting rid of Malkin and Crosby so Sully will have to go after they fail next season and that perfectly lines up with JD's hatred of Quinn's coaching going to level 11. It's in the tea leaves chief!

2Leetch_94

Kreid Me A River
Sep 16, 2005
New Jersey

Mike Sullivan is on his last legs in Pitt. They aren't getting rid of Malkin and Crosby so Sully will have to go after they fail next season and that perfectly lines up with JD's hatred of Quinn's coaching going to level 11. It's in the tea leaves chief!
original.gif

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI

Please tell me you're drinking because I'll accept that :laugh:

Who EVER said anything about Sully coming in for a coaching position on this club??

I said that Quinn had a conversation with him as stated in the article.

That said..YES..I fully believe that a conversation between JD and Quinn had taken place!

Drink some water in between shots, Bobo lol

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want
Please tell me you're drinking because I'll accept that :laugh:

Who EVER said anything about Sully coming in for a coaching position on this club??

I said that Quinn had a conversation with him as stated in the article.

That said..YES..I fully believe that a conversation between JD and Quinn had taken place!

Drink some water in between shots, Bobo lol

Talk to me when the newly acquired replacement is replaced by his replacement...

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
Loved the hire the second I heard about it. The only thing is it's a waste if management and/or Quinn is forcing Smith and Staal to dress every game on the blueline.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
If you want to see some of his work with Sullivan, go watch the Caps series (especially Game 2) and the Sharks series from the 2016 Cup run. NZ trapping, fronting shots, and flipping pucks are prominent in those games.

EDIT: Sullivan altered some things in the following seasons, but Martin's hands are all over the '16 team.

Last edited:

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
If you want to see some of his work with Sullivan, go watch the Caps series (especially Game 2) and the Sharks series from the 2016 Cup run. NZ trapping, fronting shots, and flipping pucks are prominent in those games.

EDIT: Sullivan altered some things in the following seasons, but Martin's hands are all over the '16 team.

Yeah that's what won you the cup. The ability to defend leads so well. Those 2016-2017 teams were committed. That Nick Bonino was a very effective player in those minutes. Very effective, and you had guys like Kessel playing face up defense, and not always wanting to rush the puck, but let the air mail go out and get open while Hagelin re-establish a forecheck.

I thought those cup teams added something the 2010-2015 teams didn't have. It was the ability to protect leads, and shut teams down. Martin ran the 1-4 in Ottawa to great success.

Reactions: BHD

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
He definitely gets a full season to do whatever as long as Stall and Smith are on the team
Then the fair judgment should be given after some time with a decent Left Side.

If the Rangers wanna make serious strides this year then one of them has to go.
I cant see this defense progressing with enduring another year with both of them on D. One has to go at least.

I get Stalls a longtime vet and you dont do vets dirty but what a relief Itll ll be to get fresh faces on the left side AND the team no doubt gets instantly better
It has to
Maybe dress him less games idk. I dont see them buying him out

That huge hit that Smith laid against Svechnikov earned him his final year here, LOL

In all seriousness I think Staal goes. There's a bit more cap relief if you go for the buyout route, and there's less money owed to him if you go the trade route.

Reactions: TopShelf86

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
That's great! Mine can tell when I'm hitting tipsy because instead of "Frenglish" which I speak with a lot of Francophones here (as many do themselves), I'll start saying full sentences in English and speak a lot quicker like I would with a native Anglophone. She calls it my "New York Drunk". Though to be clear I do NOT have the stereotypical New Yorker accent. I can do it, but it's not my natural. But she senses the change in how I speak. And when I get full on drunk I'll start dropping some Spanish here and there too, since I grew up with 2 of my best friends being Boriqua (Puerto Rican).

I also very much enjoy the "safe mode" comparison, hahaha.

My gf starts substituting spanish words here and there in her sentences and her voice goes up like an entire octave in pitch it's absolutely hilarious.

LOL @ Safemode :p

Reactions: Amazing Kreiderman

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012

Illuminati confirmed

Reactions: JCProdigy

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
It's straight out of that article. Not my writing
I understand.

It’s just not accurate. The Rangers typically send 2 deep with the third man high. Columbus plays a 1-2-2. So did the 1994-2010 Devils. The only time I can remember the Rangers playing a classic 1-2-2+was the 1997 playoffs when they could barely field a team. Remember LW Dallas Eakins?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad