Confirmed with Link: Rangers name Alain Vigneault head coach - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
why would anyone give ryane clowe 8 years?

wouldn't even do 4

The Clowe situation is an interesting one.

The bottom line is that the Rangers need to find guys like Clowe through their scouting and drafting or maybe even acquiring them thru trades earlier in their careers. NOT when they are near has beens.

It's clear that year in, year out, come what may as far as changes to the game, you have to have big, tough players. Forwards and defense. They need to be able to play not just goon it up. Skate, hit and wear down the opposition physically.

The best Rangers team down thru the years have nearly always been deficient in this area. We need to score certainly. But players like the ones I refer to, help create room and avoid more wear and tear for your skill players.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 21s
Tortorella is viewed by former players as a great details coach, but his stubbornness and heavy-handed approach caused some grief in NYC.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
I think he re-signs for a few years. He is the type of player Gorton craves in his line-up to augment his skill guys. Look at Boston.

I don't think they will be scared away, for good or for bad.

But is he still that guy? A multi-year deal is a risk. Adding in a 2nd is added risk.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 21s
Tortorella is viewed by former players as a great details coach, but his stubbornness and heavy-handed approach caused some grief in NYC.

I think he got bogged down in the details and especially on the power play that hurt the Rangers. Guys looked like they were spending all their time thinking about plays or what they had been coached to do, and so were always a bit slow, always a bit stationary, just not a lot of flow to their game

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
But is he still that guy? A multi-year deal is a risk. Adding in a 2nd is added risk.

Yeah, all very true. But what is the risk of missing out on a player with a very unique skill-set who has already integrated into the locker room well, brings leadership in the locker room and plays in a position of need?

Not saying he will get back to 50+ points, but if he can stay around 40, he is still an extremely valuable player.

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
Was it not working because they lasted one less playoff series? If they had beaten Boston would that have meant it was working?

Is the difference between the seasons Nash vs. Dubinsky and Anisimov? Is it Prust leaving?

To wbat do you attribute this difference of lasting one less playoff series? I ron't understand how you guys quantify this stuff.

It didn't work when they lasted one more playoff series in 11-12. They got handled by the Devils with a roster that actually played together and showed up for games, even the non-star players.

The difference is changing/swapping huge, important chunks of your lineup yearly and losing character guys like Fedotenko, Prospal, and Prust. Guys like that created the identity the Rangers had for those 1-2 years, not so much Tortorella. Tortorella just turned the team (arguably unnecessarily) into shot-blockers, but those players gave the Rangers an identity of a hard-nosed, no BS, tough to play against team.

This season, no one was firing on any cylinders in the regular or post-season except Stepan, Hank, and McDonagh. That's another difference between seasons: Last season, everyone was trying and it was visible, even if they weren't producing. Guys were getting bounces because they were engaged. This year, there was none of that, no hustle or "jam", at any point and it was noticeable. When your captain is invisible for 95% of the season, things probably aren't going to turn out well.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Yeah, all very true. But what is the risk of missing out on a player with a very unique skill-set who has already integrated into the locker room well, brings leadership in the locker room and plays in a position of need?

Not saying he will get back to 50+ points, but if he can stay around 40, he is still an extremely valuable player.

Depends on the size of the contract and the length...if he has had concussion problems last year, there's just no way any team is going to want to sign him to a long term deal (like the 8 year deal it's rumored he wants). What if he keeps getting concussions and can't play anymore after, say, year 2? You think he's going to retire and give the team an out? No, he's going to pull a Pronger/Savard and stick around on the roster for the next 6 years eating up money and cap space

A 2 year deal, workable (though maybe not for the Rangers considering who they have to sign soon), but more than that and you start really asking for trouble

This season, no one was firing on any cylinders in the regular or post-season except Stepan, Hank, and McDonagh.

And Brassard!

When your captain is invisible for 95% of the season, things probably aren't going to turn out well.

Well to be fair his shoulder was effed up all season.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
It didn't work when they lasted one more playoff series in 11-12. They got handled by the Devils with a roster that actually played together and showed up for games, even the non-star players.

The difference is changing/swapping huge, important chunks of your lineup yearly and losing character guys like Fedotenko, Prospal, and Prust. Guys like that created the identity the Rangers had for those 1-2 years, not so much Tortorella. Tortorella just turned the team (arguably unnecessarily) into shot-blockers, but those players gave the Rangers an identity of a hard-nosed, no BS, tough to play against team.

This season, no one was firing on any cylinders in the regular or post-season except Stepan, Hank, and McDonagh. That's another difference between seasons: Last season, everyone was trying and it was visible, even if they weren't producing. Guys were getting bounces because they were engaged. This year, there was none of that, no hustle or "jam", at any point and it was noticeable. When your captain is invisible for 95% of the season, things probably aren't going to turn out well.

It's because they had a team full of guys who could impact a game without scoring. When you have a lot of guys like that, the bounces will go your way.

They need to find guys like that again.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Depends on the size of the contract and the length...if he has had concussion problems last year, there's just no way any team is going to want to sign him to a long term deal (like the 8 year deal it's rumored he wants). What if he keeps getting concussions and can't play anymore after, say, year 2? You think he's going to retire and give the team an out? No, he's going to pull a Pronger/Savard and stick around on the roster for the next 6 years eating up money and cap space

A 2 year deal, workable (though maybe not for the Rangers considering who they have to sign soon), but more than that and you start really asking for trouble

I would never sign him for 8 years. 3 would be reasonable though.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
AV WFAN interview:

• He doesnt know anybody in the Rangers organization, seems to be that way everywhere he goes.
• Believes he has a good skillset with the Rangers and D that can jump up
• Has been asked about the PP several times today (lol)
• Mentioned that hes had success in Van on the PP (maybe a key about Brown)
• He will not "be imposed with someone hes not comfortable yet" regarding assistants.
• Going to give top players more leeway to create more offense.
• Will be closer to two daughters by being in NY and it was something that factored into the decision. (I respect that) and they'll "be able to come on the plane" - im assuming he means the Rangers charter flights.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
AV WFAN interview:

• He doesnt know anybody in the Rangers organization, seems to be that way everywhere he goes.
• Believes he has a good skillset with the Rangers and D that can jump up
• Has been asked about the PP several times today (lol)
• Mentioned that hes had success in Van on the PP (maybe a key about Brown)
• He will not "be imposed with someone hes not comfortable yet" regarding assistants.
• Going to give top players more leeway to create more offense.
• Will be closer to two daughters by being in NY and it was something that factored into the decision. (I respect that) and they'll "be able to come on the plane" - im assuming he means the Rangers charter flights.

Anyway to listen to it again?

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Was it not working because they lasted one less playoff series? If they had beaten Boston would that have meant it was working?

Is the difference between the seasons Nash vs. Dubinsky and Anisimov? Is it Prust leaving?

To wbat do you attribute this difference of lasting one less playoff series? I ron't understand how you guys quantify this stuff.

That's because you're stuck on this idea that these things need to be quantified. They don't. Quantifiers are only half, if not less, of the analysis of the game.

NYRSchrute217

Oct 28, 2008
Loving everything I'm hearing so far from Vigneault. I was not a fan of the idea at first but warmed up on it a lot, and in fact now I'm excited to bring him in. I think he brings a fresh approach to the game and can lead us to great things.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC

The production is only half the issue. His health is the other.

He just seems like a signing where you wind up paying for whst he's done, not what he's going to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad