Confirmed with Link: Rangers name Alain Vigneault head coach - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
i assumed richards was a goner but now i'm thinking he might be kept around this year. hope it works, if it happens.

as for clowe, i just can't fathom him getting more than a three-year deal for any more than three million per. though the intangibles do translate to pay in the nhl...we've seen a few good-lockerroom guys get paid recently. might bump-up clowe's price a bit. but not that much...he'll probably stay in ny, i'm thinking now.

vigneault sounds good for this team. looking forward. in the end, he just seems more modern. i think tortorella's old-school ways are good steps in the evolution of a player and team. but maybe some more nuance is needed. it seems like vigneault maybe makes more of an effort toward finding little advantages in opponents weaknesses. maybe uses some more resource in addressing problems. tortorella seems to be a guy who, like a bulldog, never gives ground, never gives up. which is good if you're picking grapes or peeling potatoes...but maybe this team needs to try some other angles. but a few years of tortorella won't be a bad thing for vancouver either.

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
The production is only half the issue. His health is the other.

He just seems like a signing where you wind up paying for whst he's done, not what he's going to do.

The biggest problem throughout the league is giving long-term contracts to thirtysomething players and expecting them to maintain the level of their play throughout the contract. But, inflating a contract because of what a player's done in the past is always part of the calculation during nogotiations.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I really, really like that he isn't coming in here with any pre-conceived notion of the individual players. What that indicates to me is that he's going to spend an awful lot of time in the offseason watching video on the players and coming up with a system, obviously modified from his own he brings with him, that fits the skillset of the group he's got.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Was it not working because they lasted one less playoff series? If they had beaten Boston would that have meant it was working?

Is the difference between the seasons Nash vs. Dubinsky and Anisimov? Is it Prust leaving?

To wbat do you attribute this difference of lasting one less playoff series? I ron't understand how you guys quantify this stuff.

I view the results from 11-12 as extreme, unsustainable good fortune. I view the combined results of the last two years as indicative of a team that had plateaued and therefore in need of a change to take the next step. I view the coaching change as having the potential to effect that change without a major roster overhaul. Implied in this is that I don't think these past two teams showed us their best. I think they can go further, maybe.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
He sure is keen on this "right way to play" system.

But it is really the way to play nowadays.

You need the unit on the ice to make a decision on how to play/what to do.

It takes time for a coach to learn the game to his players. You need smart players. But the outcome is just that much better.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
But it is really the way to play nowadays.

You need the unit on the ice to make a decision on how to play/what to do.

It takes time for a coach to learn the game to his players. You need smart players. But the outcome is just that much better.
The right way was always the way to play. By definition.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Marty Biron is on siriusxm right now. Speaks very highly of AV. He has known him since his younger days in juniors. Biron thinks AV will bring a good offensive scheme. He talked about coaches walking a fine line, knowing when to push the right buttons and how you react to certain changes. He thinks AV has exemplified this throughout his years in Vancouver. He went onto say how something (style) could be working one year for a coach and the next year it doesn't work the same way...it sounded a lot like he was talking about Tortorella and hinting he couldn't adjust.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Recorded the press conference, gonna watch it tomorrow with breakfast. I did listen to the Franscesa interview though. Every coach always says the right things at the beginning with the media (remember Torts? Safe is death?) I'll wait to see what happens on the ice first.

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana
Recorded the press conference, gonna watch it tomorrow with breakfast. I did listen to the Franscesa interview though. Every coach always says the right things at the beginning with the media (remember Torts? Safe is death?) I'll wait to see what happens on the ice first.

Naturally, I think AV did a good job of explaining his situation in Vancouver and having to play to the teams strengths initially and bringing a more dynamic game along as the roster improved. I just hope he doesn't feel pressured to play a run and gun game just because everyone wants MOAR GOALS.

How bout Torts in Vancouver? I don't know if he'll survive the press conference without offended half the city. Going to be interesting for sure, think he'll do a good job, not sure how that locker room will respond to him. Glad he found work.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
BNUc6-bCUAAvkx1.jpg:large

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Naturally, I think AV did a good job of explaining his situation in Vancouver and having to play to the teams strengths initially and bringing a more dynamic game along as the roster improved. I just hope he doesn't feel pressured to play a run and gun game just because everyone wants MOAR GOALS.

How bout Torts in Vancouver? I don't know if he'll survive the press conference without offended half the city. Going to be interesting for sure, think he'll do a good job, not sure how that locker room will respond to him. Glad he found work.

I have a funny feeling this is the best of both worlds for both teams. We may not see results in the 13-14 season, but I imagine both teams will be in the running in 14-15. It's going to be fun to compare.

I'm just happy that two excellent coaches - and people - were able to land back on their feet in a hurry.

Gert B Frobe

Nov 18, 2003
Chester County
Did Vigneault have a lot of say in drafting and trading of his players? I always thought he was a better coach than his team showed. He'll get better performance out of his players than Tortorella did for a couple years at least in my opinion. Even with the solid D in New York I thought their style was too buttoned down for their roster and they should have pressed more.

Never cared for Tortorella's tough guy act and his use of the press to embarrass his players.

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana
I have a funny feeling this is the best of both worlds for both teams. We may not see results in the 13-14 season, but I imagine both teams will be in the running in 14-15. It's going to be fun to compare.

I'm just happy that two excellent coaches - and people - were able to land back on their feet in a hurry.

I agree, just think that Torts personality in Vancouver is going to be a much more interesting situation than AV here. Actually though I'm not sure how much I'm going to like hearing the Torts supporters/bashers shove their "I was right" crap down our throats whenever one of the teams struggles or does well lol.

Where's that guy who absolutely guaranteed Torts wouldn't find another coaching job?

Haha oh yeah now I remember that.

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
Hey guys, Canuck fan here

Two cents on AV:

He was a really good coach who fell heavily on the sword when the Canucks dropped two first rounds in a row. He caught a lot of heat down the stretch because the fans could see their team didn't have what it took to be contenders this year. My personal knock on him is he unwillingness to give younger guys a chance to succeed in their positions on the team. Young guys find themselves in the dog house and on the 4th line with plugs really really fast. The only player who has ever won AV over was Tanev who in AV's eyes could do no wrong. AV has a dog house and its as tough as any coach in the NHL.

He has a good team to work with which is good, I don't know what your prospects are like but don't expect to see more of them.

Whats Torts like, I am happy with got him over the rest of the potential guys

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Actually though I'm not sure how much I'm going to like hearing the Torts supporters/bashers shove their "I was right" crap down our throats whenever one of the teams struggles or does well lol.

This is the only reason I didn't want Tortorella to get the Vancouver job. Comparisons all freaking year now.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
That's because you're stuck on this idea that these things need to be quantified. They don't. Quantifiers are only half, if not less, of the analysis of the game.

If you posit theories and opinions without quantifying them, it is no different than saying, it just is.

All I have asked for is evidence to back up opinions other than results. Results can be because of a myriad of reasons. Saying that the results were because of a coach not adapting to something that fans seem to be sure was a problem is illogical unless you think Tortorella is a blathering idiot.

We know he isn't that, at least as far as coaching a hockey team. He may be an idiot in other ways and a jerk behavior-wise, but he knows the intricacies of coaching a hockey team far better than any of us that post here, despite what some seem to believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad