Pre-Game Talk: Rangers @ Detroit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Let Blaine Die

Holden out 4 a hero
Jan 4, 2012
NYC
Wonder if we'll see Shep tonight.

Didn't AV confirm after practice yesterday that Shep is playing tonight? Zuc had a maintenance day yesterday and the lines at practice were Nash-Brassard-Glass, Kreider-Stepan-St.Louis, Miller-Hayes-Hagelin, & Sheppard-Moore-Fast, which suggests that Glass might be out of the lineup.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I think Glass will play - he is on a mission 3 pts streak. :)

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
I think this one and the pIsles game have the biggest potentials for a loss. (Over the next 4)

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
I think this one and the pIsles game have the biggest potentials for a loss. (Over the next 4)

I disagree, not worried about Detroit at all but I think Ovie may pick Talbot apart. Islanders have self doubt after that last game and I expect us to crush them! muahahaha

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
This stretch will show what this team is made of. LGR

I think we already know what this team is made of", honestly..... Who would have thunk we'd be 11-2-2 with Hank out? Anyone would've signed up for that WITH Hank!

I didn't fear any team BEFORE Yandle....... I don't see any reason we can't be 3-1 prior to Buffalo. Time frame on Hank is what I want.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
Even with Talbot in net, there's not a single team in the NHL that scares me. This team can score on anyone.

If Hank comes back and plays like he did before going down, we're going to steamroll the Eastern Conference.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
I want to see how much Yandle helps breaking down the Islanders forecheck abilities. That team has been the kryptonite for this Ranger team. Well going by their record for a lot of teams. They do worry me, you would have to be crazy not to be.

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
I want to see how much Yandle helps breaking down the Islanders forecheck abilities. That team has been the kryptonite for this Ranger team. Well going by their record for a lot of teams. They do worry me, you would have to be crazy not to be.

While I am still worried about them, I think over the course of a 7 game series, the rangers will figure them out, and adjust accordingly.

Games are played differently in the playoffs. Many guys on the islanders only played the Penguins with a GOD AWFUL fleury in net, and they still only managed 2 wins. They haven't faced a real formidable opponent in the playoffs.

trust AV to make the necessary adjustments while Fred Flintstone is left in the dust.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
While I am still worried about them, I think over the course of a 7 game series, the rangers will figure them out, and adjust accordingly.

Games are played differently in the playoffs. Many guys on the islanders only played the Penguins with a GOD AWFUL fleury in net, and they still only managed 2 wins. They haven't faced a real formidable opponent in the playoffs.

trust AV to make the necessary adjustments while Fred Flintstone is left in the dust.

I agree to an extent. I have had a few heated discussions with Islanders fans. They have a good young team but don't like to be told young teams do not fare so well in their first few playoffs years. They thought I was just saying that to be obnoxious. hahaha Well maybe just a little.

Anyway the Islanders match up fairly well, they're one of the few teams that can match the Rangers speed wise.

Keep in mind those same Penguins almost beat the Rangers last year and they're completely built wrong for deep runs (way too top heavy and mediocre goalie).

Jun 25, 2013
www.tannerglassisthebest.com

I think Yandle will pick their forwards apart too. Could see him carrying the puck a lot in that game.

I'm always worried when we play the wings. We basically play the same system except with more speed. Yandle is going to pot one tonight LGR!! #WednesdayNightRivalry :sarcasm:

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
I think Yandle will pick their forwards apart too. Could see him carrying the puck a lot in that game.

I'm always worried when we play the wings. We basically play the same system except with more speed. Yandle is going to pot one tonight LGR!! #WednesdayNightRivalry :sarcasm:

The complete opposite of the Philly game, good vibes tonight. I wasn't able to watch too much of Monday's game because I had my own, so I am super excited to see Yandle tonight.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I agree to an extent. I have had a few heated discussions with Islanders fans. They have a good young team but don't like to be told young teams do not fare so well in their first few playoffs years. They thought I was just saying that to be obnoxious. hahaha Well maybe just a little.

Anyway the Islanders match up fairly well, they're one of the few teams that can match the Rangers speed wise.

Keep in mind those same Penguins almost beat the Rangers last year and they're completely built wrong for deep runs (way too top heavy and mediocre goalie).

Rangers played weird in that series. Lethargic and not sharp for the first 4 games and then came back and looked like the team we were expecting to see.

Against the Islanders again the key is really moving the puck quickly and accurately in their own zone. They attack the puck carrier so much and bring everyone down towards the goal very well so that errant passes or attempts to just clear the puck out of danger often end up back on their sticks. they send two guys hard after the puck carrier and instead of what the Rangers often do (guys glide in trying to take away passes) they send one guy hard after the puck carrier to check him and another guy to take the puck away or help out. It's not really about the hitting, or even about their speed, it's about their aggressiveness at forechecking to regain the puck. Then their D steps up to put pressure on the guys receiving any passes, their center covers the middle of the ice well, etc. but if you move the puck quickly and accurately it can break that up pretty well, which is where Yandle should really help.

Anyways, Detroit, always seem to manage to keep winning. Good team though I'm not much impressed with their goaltending (Howard is OK but not much more than OK) Not taking penalties will probably go a long ways towards winning tonight.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
This stretch will show what this team is made of. LGR

It will show what this team would've been made of without it's best player. I'm pretty sure the Rangers will get better very soon by acquiring a future Hall of Famer goalie.

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013

One thing that's great about this Ranger team is despite their youth, we have a bunch of guys with quite a bit of playoff experience. It definitely helps our team moving forward. Hopefully we can give guys like Hayes and Miller a nice, deep run to give them a sense of the playoffs.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
Rangers played weird in that series. Lethargic and not sharp for the first 4 games and then came back and looked like the team we were expecting to see.

Against the Islanders again the key is really moving the puck quickly and accurately in their own zone. They attack the puck carrier so much and bring everyone down towards the goal very well so that errant passes or attempts to just clear the puck out of danger often end up back on their sticks. they send two guys hard after the puck carrier and instead of what the Rangers often do (guys glide in trying to take away passes) they send one guy hard after the puck carrier to check him and another guy to take the puck away or help out. It's not really about the hitting, or even about their speed, it's about their aggressiveness at forechecking to regain the puck. Then their D steps up to put pressure on the guys receiving any passes, their center covers the middle of the ice well, etc. but if you move the puck quickly and accurately it can break that up pretty well, which is where Yandle should really help.

Anyways, Detroit, always seem to manage to keep winning. Good team though I'm not much impressed with their goaltending (Howard is OK but not much more than OK) Not taking penalties will probably go a long ways towards winning tonight.

That's a pretty good breakdown of their forecheck. Last game for instance it gave the Rangers fits for a period and a half. Then for some reason the Rangers broke it out a zillion times better and turned the game around.

Detroit is surprisingly really good this year. Tatar and Nyquist have really stepped up. I honestly didn't figure them to be a top team but they have been all year.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Islanders won't go anywhere in the playoffs. Experience matters big time. All teams that have their first good regular season choke in the playoffs. They will have their time, but it's not this year.

The Rangers Will bulldoze over them in the playoffs. The last 3 years, it's been ECF, second round, SCF. That's more playoff wins than any other Eastern Conference team. That's experience you can't buy. Big difference from a roster where almost nobody knows what it's like to win a single playoff round.

TheKing30

Nov 20, 2011
NJ
Cant wait to watch Yandle again, one of my favorite players in the league before the trade. Should be a good one up in hockeytown

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
One thing that's great about this Ranger team is despite their youth, we have a bunch of guys with quite a bit of playoff experience. It definitely helps our team moving forward. Hopefully we can give guys like Hayes and Miller a nice, deep run to give them a sense of the playoffs.

The good thing about the Rangers youth is prior to the NHL most of them have won big tournaments before, many of them are wither WJ Champs, NCAA champs and/or both and if they're not champs, they have been to the finals in both of those tourny's. They're winners at every level prior. I think that's an overlooked fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad