Claimed off Waivers: Rangers claim Matt Puempel from Ottawa

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
No problem with claiming a former first rounder. Scored almost a point per game in the AHL last season. Have to be some skill in him. We have some injury problems atm, good decision by Gorton.

Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2010
Canada
How is his overall game? I know he can shoot the puck.

He's okay on defense and has okay speed, a great shot but he really lacks the ability to create some space for himself to take it off, needs a good playmaker to do it for him as he doesn't have the best set of hands, powerful shot though. He showed he can score goals in the AHL but not yet in the NHL. He has some jam in it and I like him but he never really got it here in Ottawa played very few top 6 minutes and was mostly with Chris Neil on the 4th line so kinda hard to create something.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013

I don't think Guy Boucher liked him as a player. Earlier in the season you can tell he tried to follow the "play my role regardless of where I am in the lineup" mantra as he was mostly stuck on the 4th line with Neil and Kelly. At times he looked fine as a 4th liner, but other times he seemed like he was lost in Guy Boucher's system. The Jokinen goal last game looked like it was his fault off of a bad decision in the neutral zone and maybe that combined with him not stepping up in what was an ideal situation with multiple top Senators injured might have been the last straw. Dzingel stepped up when MacArthur was hurt, and last game Lazar came back to the NHL after suffering from mono and being regulated to the AHL and made a greater impact than Puempel who has been around all season.

Ultimately, he is a complimentary player, a finisher. I thought all he needed was prolonged time with a guy like Brassard to get going, but I was probably wrong. He's scored at every level except for the NHL, so this isn't a bad pickup. A change of scenery, the right center, and a simplified role might lead to him finding his groove in the NHL.

This is a move that at this point had to be made, but there is also a small chance it could bite Ottawa in the ass if he takes well to a change of scenery and the Rangers figure out how to get him scoring goals in the NHL like he did in the AHL.

I'm not shocked he was picked up, but I'd be curious if there were any claims after the Rangers as they are pretty far down the waiver priority.

matt-puempel-of-the-kitchener-rangers-skates-in-an-ohl-game-against-picture-id153212382

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Damn. Ottawa fans peumpeled this guy's tires pretty hard a few years ago.

He had 30 goals in his rookie AHL season and was producing well in the AHL after that. Had a nice dozen games in the NHL too when the Sens had that Cinderella run, but hasn't panned out since then.

Average skater with some sandpaper. Looks lost at times in the defensive end. Has a hard time getting his shot off quickly. Isn't a very good puck carrier.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
If Grabner can find his scoring touch with the Rangers he certainly can.

Grabner is much more skilled then Puempel is. Grabner's issue is he doesn't play well with his teammates but his raw skill is great. Puempel doesn't have a great deal of raw skill aside from his shot and he needs teammates to feed him to provide any offence.

They are opposite players.

I wish him good luck, but I saw enough of him to think he is replaceable in the NHL by a half dozen guys we have in the minors now. But who knows. Maybe he finds his game?

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
He's okay on defense and has okay speed, a great shot but he really lacks the ability to create some space for himself to take it off, needs a good playmaker to do it for him as he doesn't have the best set of hands, powerful shot though. He showed he can score goals in the AHL but not yet in the NHL. He has some jam in it and I like him but he never really got it here in Ottawa played very few top 6 minutes and was mostly with Chris Neil on the 4th line so kinda hard to create something.

So.... Matt Frattin.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
He will score decently in New York. Bad move from Ottawa

Well. Was a pretty safe move until a different former Sen suffered a pretty terrible injury last night.

So unless you're rehashing the trade that ended up causing the player that got injured to be in NY last night... not much they could do about it without a crystal ball.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Having a warm body with some upside makes sense given the Rangers current situation. If he cracks the lineup, awesome, if not then the team can avoid having to recall a player that needs waivers to go back down. Nieves isn't ready, and Hrivik would have to be waived to go back to Hartford. Not much else down there right now.

Kanneda

Aug 10, 2014
Madrid
Having a warm body with some upside makes sense given the Rangers current situation. If he cracks the lineup, awesome, if not then the team can avoid having to recall a player that needs waivers to go back down. Nieves isn't ready, and Hrivik would have to be waived to go back to Hartford. Not much else down there right now.

Hrivik has been in waivers thousand times and is still with us, I don't think he'll have many more chances unless he has a crazy preseason.

I like Puempel, I have hopes for him to find his game here.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Hrivik would have to be waived to go back to Hartford.

waivers not needed if Hrivik ( ... Jensen, Fontaine, Glass, Brown, Bodie, Summers, Hughes) with NYR for less than 10 games and 30 days

PDF copy of CBA is available online

with 2 offensive F's hurt, i trust Gordie and Gorto that this guy is worth a shot

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad