News Article: Rangers Chose Girardi, Not Boyle, Over Stralman

Ex Officer Friendly

Got Nothin To Say
Apr 27, 2012
New York, NY
Though you're right that it's frivolous to dwell on the past, we're still dealing with the disastrous ramifications. Bit different from the Mcilrath pick.

There are a lot of ramifications that we are still dealing with but that's not a reason to create a debate over something that at this point is pretty much well agreed on. What if Lindros came here instead of Philly, what if Bure didn't destroy his knees here, what if we kept Savard. You can look at anything and say well we shouldn't have done this, in the end what's done is done do I wish Stralman was still here... Yes. Do I think now especially that the Girardi contract was horrible, yes. We should focus on what's in front of us and not as much as what's behind us. It's not a knock on you or anyone else it's just that at this point I'd rather think about "do we keep Yandle? Can we trade Staal or Girardi?"

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
I don't really get how it's one or the other. The Rangers had 3 RD spots. They chose to use them on Girardi, Boyle and Klein.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
There are a lot of ramifications that we are still dealing with but that's not a reason to create a debate over something that at this point is pretty much well agreed on. What if Lindros came here instead of Philly, what if Bure didn't destroy his knees here, what if we kept Savard.
I agree. We should be discussing ALL THOSE THINGS.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
when it was happening i thought stralman would get paid and then we'd just dump klein when mcilrath was ready.. still think that wouldve been the best option

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
It's pretty simple. Sather had the neanderthal mentality that the media has and much of the board had at the time (less so now) is that a guy blocking a lot of shots makes him a good defenseman. Add to that Girardi was a good ole Canadian boy and Stralman was a "dirty Euro" and Sather thought he was a soft defenseman who was nothing special.

HFBS

Noted Troublemaker
Jan 18, 2015
I think the article is 100% wrong. Girardi was never going anywhere. (Now is obviously different since he fell off the Earth.) Stralman was a good young improving defensman with obvious offensive upside. Boyle was an over-the-hill former power play star who like Wade Redden was washed up. The Ranger mentality was is and always will be to go for the washed up veteran. Boyle plays as if he's in a video hockey game controlling one player making end-to-end rushes all game. He plays no position, no defense, goes where he feels like and ignores the game except trying to get in position so he can score. I knew instantly when they signed Boyle and let Stralman go for the same money it was a disaster.

Leslie Treff

Sep 18, 2005
New York
I do not think that this article is correct. It is my understanding that the Rangers did not give Stralman the contract he wanted, because they did not like the condition of his knees given the length of the contract he asked for.

cd211

Feb 6, 2010
New York, NY
oh give this topic up... nearly two years later people here are still discussing one was chose over the other.. they took Stralman for Granted probably, who knows what kind of money he was asking the rangers for...YES its been said they didn't negotiate (by stralman), but stralman turned down a 3yrx$3m per deal months earlier, which means they probably had an understanding of what he was asking..

Boyles $4.5 doesn't = stralmans $4.5 bc of all the FL tax saving, blah blah blah.. he was probably asking for same as g at the minimum..

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I do not think that this article is correct. It is my understanding that the Rangers did not give Stralman the contract he wanted, because they did not like the condition of his knees given the length of the contract he asked for.

yeah, it was talk about that for sure.

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
oh give this topic up... nearly two years later people here are still discussing one was chose over the other.. they took Stralman for Granted probably, who knows what kind of money he was asking the rangers for...YES its been said they didn't negotiate (by stralman), but stralman turned down a 3yrx$3m per deal months earlier, which means they probably had an understanding of what he was asking..

Boyles $4.5 doesn't = stralmans $4.5 bc of all the FL tax saving, blah blah blah.. he was probably asking for same as g at the minimum..

Then riddle me this:

Why did he take 1M less on the FA market than you're claiming he wanted from us?

Made Dan

Jul 15, 2007
The Bronx, NY

And they thought Girardi was in tip-top shape?

cd211

Feb 6, 2010
New York, NY
Then riddle me this:

Why did he take 1M less on the FA market than you're claiming he wanted from us?

bc he signed in FL where there is NO STATE INCOME tax.. your money is basically your money.. Also helps you have two other former NYR teammates playing there as well.

Ex Officer Friendly

Got Nothin To Say
Apr 27, 2012
New York, NY
bc he signed in FL where there is NO STATE INCOME tax.. your money is basically your money.. Also helps you have two other former NYR teammates playing there as well.

It's really not worth the argument.

If we kept Stralman we would be on playing for three in a row. Duclair would be scoring 2Gs a game. Etc etc

cd211

Feb 6, 2010
New York, NY

If we kept Stralman we would be on playing for three in a row. Duclair would be scoring 2Gs a game. Etc etc

theres two sides to a negotiation and obv we're not behind the scenes of what goes on thats all i am saying... nothings simple

100% agree if we some how kept stralman, i doubt we trade for Yandle and we keep Duclair..

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm

I can't figure out why you clicked on the thread and continue to come here just to crap on the whole discussion. It's not worth the argument yet you keep coming back?

Then you make absolutely nonsense comments like this?

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm

"Give tihis topic up" Followed immediately by arguing the topic and being wrong.

Ok....

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

Sure. If we did not acquire Yandle and did not sign Boyle, we would be in 3 straight Cup Finals. Somehow... With a 13% PP success rate.

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia

Another reason why hard salary caps are not fair. They TRY to make it "fair" but actually make it more UNFAIR as it possibly can be....but that's another topic, I guess.

Ex Officer Friendly

Got Nothin To Say
Apr 27, 2012
New York, NY
I can't figure out why you clicked on the thread and continue to come here just to crap on the whole discussion. It's not worth the argument yet you keep coming back?

Then you make absolutely nonsense comments like this?

I tend to read all of the threads on the first page whether I agree with them or not, if I just read what I agree with I never learn anything. Nevertheless sorry, didn't realize that I needed to have the same opinion to be in the thread. If I just bash the management for letting Stralman walk can I stay?

The point being is that this discussion is just a circle, most agree that it would be great if we kept Stralman and didn't sign Boyle. But that is now, 2 years later if Stralman produced as he is in Tampa then we would still have him on the NYR Roster. If Boyle came in and put up 50 points, and made the PP in to a force to be reckoned with, or we won a cup, something like that I don't think anyone would have complained at all.

I think now especially that two years have gone by we agree that the Girardi contract is too long and the Staal contract is too much. Sometimes things happen and the consequences are ones that do not work in our favor. Cause if thats the case then we end up in a situation when we look at everything and say "Why didn't __________ go our way?"..... it happens.

Like I said tho, i agree with the premise that Stralman makes our defense better. However, I do understand what the GM was thinking when they signed Boyle, traded for Yandle, and let Stralman walk. We were not in the negotiations so we are not sure what happened, we just have one side of the story from Stralman so of course he didn't hear from them, he had reasonable demands etc etc. For all we know Stralman walked in to the negotiations and demanded the Girardi/Staal contract.

Sure. If we did not acquire Yandle and did not sign Boyle, we would be in 3 straight Cup Finals. Somehow... With a 13% PP success rate.

It's sarcasm.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
what odd timing for this article

And I'll forever maintain that trading for Klein would set the alarm bells that Stralman wasn't coming back.

May be so, but wasn't getting rid of DelZotto more the priority and apparently Nashville was the only trading partner?. Getting Klein was a plus, but they apparently weren't looking down the road about the overcrowded Right Defense. What a SURPRISE.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad