Confirmed with Link: Rangers Buy Out Contract of Henrik Lundqvist

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
I also feel that would make most sense. Avalanche goalie depth is shaky at best. (Although I like Grubauer)

On the other hand, if there is such a pool of goalies, I find Hank to be a very risky option compared to all the others.

Really depends if a team believe he still has it.

Add another (me) to camp "WSH has Samsonov and no need for Hank"
He's not going to find a team where he's the undisputed #1 unless he wants to scrape the bottom of the standings.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
He's not going to find a team where he's the undisputed #1 unless he wants to scrape the bottom of the standings.
No, he's not. But he is in a position to do pretty much what he feels like. Including going back home and playing in Sweden. Though, doesn't he have kids in NY schools?

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
Then you must be very young. Most oldtimers hate them and the Bruins even before the Islanders were a sparkle in the Nassau Colisuem's overhead scoreboard.
These days I have less disdain for their team. Just disdain for their fans. Like when they beat up that off duty cop at the winter classic. Shit like that does not surprise me.
I mean, like what have they done to the Rangers lately that Olli Jokinen didn't?
I think we've only played them once in the playoffs in the last 20 years and we beat them.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
These days I have less disdain for their team. Just disdain for their fans. Like when they beat up that off duty cop at the winter classic. Shit like that does not surprise me.
I mean, like what have they done to the Rangers lately that Olli Jokinen didn't?
I think we've only played them once in the playoffs in the last 20 years and we beat them.

I have just always disliked their players. Hartnell, Giroux, Simmonds, Voracek, now Konecny and Couturier.

I hate the Devils more because of their fanbase, but I haven't really hated their players in along time, I liked guys like Kovalchuk and Parise and even Elias wasn't that objectionable.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
Hank gave the Rangers fans 15 great years (less if you think he wasn't himself the last year(s)). I wouldn't like him in another sweater and certainly won't root for him against the Rangers but if he goes to another team good luck to him and I would root for him as long as he doesn't doesn't go any of the other 30 teams. lol

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Very few fits on the east coast besides Washington. Also, he's got a legit shot at starting for the Caps if the 23 year old stumbles out of the gate with nervousness.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
How is Washington any different? He’d behind their presumed heir to Holtby. A kid that forever has been highly touted. He’s been ranked higher than Igor for years.

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
The only part of Hank on Washington that bothers me is that he picked a for sure loser.

It makes sense. His family is in NYC, he is a couple hours away, still in a big city, and will get play time.

And let's not kid ourselves, with a core of Ovechkin, Backstrom, Oshie, Kuznetsov, Vrana, and Carlson, and bringing in a new coach, they are still a formidable team and in a much better position to win than the Rangers. Biggest thing holding them back was Rierden. I suspect Laviolette will light a fire under their ass. Huge upgrade in the coaching department. I follow the Capitals pretty closely, big Ovechkin fan and watch them regularly on NHL.tv. They're still a competitor, just not the top competitor.

Yes, I don't have them up there with the Avalanche, Bruins, or Bolts, but they're a top-10 team in the NHL.

When I suggested he go to Washington fans on here thought I was ridiculous and now its looking like a distinct possibility.

Reactions: CasusBelli

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
Hank on Washington sucks.

I don't understand how you guys don't see it. They were our biggest rival during his tenure as a Ranger

It was an awesome rivalry. Dueling chants in the playoffs, "Can you hear us!" Fans chanting at MSG to Caps coach [think Trotz at the time said you can't hear fans at the garden]. Then it goes back to Washington and the Caps fans can't "We are louder."

Then there was Tortorella who threw water bottle at fans behind the Rangers bench, next game fans were behind Torts wearing rain coats.

Awesome rivalry that developed from annual playoff showdowns...

Will be weird seeing him in the same division not wearing a Rangers jersey though.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
How is Washington any different? He’d behind their presumed heir to Holtby. A kid that forever has been highly touted. He’s been ranked higher than Igor for years.

Washington doesn't have a Georgiev and, one would guess, that the inclination to assume that Hank "doesn't want to be a back up" might be faulty.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
That breaks my heart. The worst part of it is that if he managed to win that Cup, I couldn't even enjoy it for him because I'd be coping with Washington winning another Cup and all their douchelord fans. Fortunately I think Washnington's window has maybe one year left in it, so hopefully it will just be for this one season.

Reactions: Mac n Gs

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
That breaks my heart. The worst part of it is that if he managed to win that Cup, I couldn't even enjoy it for him because I'd be coping with Washington winning another Cup and all their douchelord fans. Fortunately I think Washnington's window has maybe one year left in it, so hopefully it will just be for this one season.

It would be so much worse if it was the Islanders, Devils or Penguins. I can live with him being on the Caps.

I wish he went to Carolina or Colorado instead, but it's clear why he doesn't want to do that.

Reactions: Siddi

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
It would be so much worse if it was the Islanders, Devils or Penguins. I can live with him being on the Caps.

I wish he went to Carolina or Colorado instead, but it's clear why he doesn't want to do that.
Yeah, but I live in Caps country, and have to deal with their obnoxious fans who for years couldn't tell you a player on the team other than "Ovy," "Backy," or Holtby, and names their dogs/kids accordingly.

The Devils or Penguins would also be horrible. I don't have the hatred for the Islanders for reasons I've covered before but no one probably wants to hear again. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad