GDT: Rangers @ Brooklyners - 2/15/18 - 7pm ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
Because I don't want management to all of a sudden change their philosophy at the trade deadline. Losing the next couple of games will solidify that they will follow through with that process. Go on a 3 game win streak now and i can see them all of a sudden becoming buyers. I will be cheering for them to lose 7-6 with Nash and Grabner each getting a hat trick. Once they actually trade away some players and recoup some picks for the future, i will once again start cheering for them to win each and every game with their young lineup.

Do you actually think they would do that?

The decision was made, and the press conference and the letter is proof they aren't going to go back on that.

They are looking at the bigger picture here, and all of us as fans should as well.

Even Sather interjected and said, even though this is the path we're taking, we STILL can make the playoffs, and you take it from there.

How often to you see teams a couple points out of a playoff spot talk about rebuilding?

This is about being forward looking, and thinking in terms of the future. It was meant to prepare all of us for a lot of changes coming down, and that we might go through some rough times before we see things looking great again.

Even if they rattled off a win every game till the deadline, this will still be the direction they take.

They are selling.

Reactions: YearOfTheCat

jwelles17

Apr 23, 2012
Do you actually think they would do that?

The decision was made, and the press conference and the letter is proof they aren't going to go back on that.

They are looking at the bigger picture here, and all of us as fans should as well.

Even Sather interjected and said, even though this is the path we're taking, we STILL can make the playoffs, and you take it from there.

How often to you see teams a couple points out of a playoff spot talk about rebuilding?

This is about being forward looking, and thinking in terms of the future. It was meant to prepare all of us for a lot of changes coming down, and that we might go through some rough times before we see things looking great again.

Even if they rattled off a win every game till the deadline, this will still be the direction they take.

They are selling.

I will believe they are selling when they sell. Until then, i root for them to lose. I have no faith in management to not make a rash decision, especially with the POSSIBLE return of 2 first line players now in Kreider and Buch.

Fvital92

Jul 7, 2017
Brazil
Also, the Giants, once the season started never had a chance. The Rangers I was sure were playoff bound a month ago. Tough to make that switch.
Well, I was fooled by the Giants until week 3, shame on me. lol
Also, in hockey , there are so many games that we can have the luxury to choose some games to cheer for a win. Against the homeless Islanders is a must win for me, tanking or not tanking.

Fvital92

Jul 7, 2017
Brazil
I will believe they are selling when they sell. Until then, i root for them to lose. I have no faith in management to not make a rash decision, especially with the POSSIBLE return of 2 first line players now in Kreider and Buch.
They will not change their mind this time. They sent a letter for the fans saying that they will rebuild. It would be pretty bizarre if they do a 180º change and start buying in the tradeline.

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
Well, I was fooled by the Giants until week 3, shame on me. lol
Also, in hockey , there are so many games that we can have the luxury to choose some games to cheer for a win. Against the homeless Islanders is a must win for me, tanking or not tanking.
Their fans are so obnoxious after a win, they then feel as if their team actually matters.

Reactions: Fvital92

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
The other reason I have a hard time rooting for them to lose is because what place from the bottom cam they even realistically get? We're not the Coyotes.
IIRC, dropping from 11th to 7th doubles our chances of landing a top 3 pick. Colorado had the worst record last year and ended up picking 4th. Anything is possible. Additionally, the further down we go, the lower the price should Gorton try and move up again.

Reactions: Ail and Riche16

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I just want them to play well, win or lose, see some development that makes the organization say something to the effect of, these lesser known guys can play at the NHL level, so they don't feel the need to go crazy finding a bunch of expensive (cap hit or outgoing assets by trade) replacements

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
So like, do some of y'all plan to cheer if the ****ing Islanders score on Lundqvist? Cause uh... **** that
No not at all... I'll be working so I can't watch... I just want the score to have isles in reg on top. Again, I realize that it's the lottery but any increase in chance can make all the difference

Richard Banger

Mamba Mentality
Sep 29, 2017
Was Oklahoma now Texas
No not at all... I'll be working so I can't watch... I just want the score to have isles in reg on top. Again, I realize that it's the lottery but any increase in chance can make all the difference
Its not like they're going to lose every game for the rest of the season. They are going to win a hand full. I want this one to be included in that hand full.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Its not like they're going to lose every game for the rest of the season. They are going to win a hand full. I want this one to be included in that hand full.
Have you watched this team?

They very well could lose out... injuries, trades, the coach... and WHEN they were a complete unit and HEALTHY they were awful and failed to even show up most nights.

Hank is the ONLY thing that could will them to a 'handful of victories'

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
I can't really fathom or understand this logic, especially in a league with a draft lottery. Losing out, 'tanking' doesn't guarantee you anything.

This is also their arch rival of the Rangers. Did you grow up in this area? It's way more personal for those who grew up here/currently live here.

That being said, even though it's the Islanders, I would never root for my team to lose against anyone.

Losing more gives you better odds of winning the lottery, which is a better chance of landing a better player. What does winning get you? A worse chance at winning the lottery or potentially making the playoffs so you can watch them flounder for a round against a superior team, and no chance at winning the lottery. No thanks.

They’re getting ready to invest in the future and I’m invested in getting the best investments for the future not hoping they win just because it’s “my team” and wanting them to lose is some kind of sin.

The lottery is not a gaurantee but I will gaurantee winning will provide nothing at all, now or later. I think the people who want this team to win are the ones that need to justify that position because logically it makes no sense.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
My younger brother has been an Islander fan since inception . I have been a Ranger fan since 1970-71ish....BEAT the fishsticks BAD !!! I cannot handle any late night texts from him gloating ...even if it is a rare event.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
IIRC, dropping from 11th to 7th doubles our chances of landing a top 3 pick. Colorado had the worst record last year and ended up picking 4th. Anything is possible. Additionally, the further down we go, the lower the price should Gorton try and move up again.
Yep. The NHL went completely overboard trying to fix something that wasn't (IMO) broken, because of the Oilers. It's not even 1 lottery, there are 3. The poor Coyotes had only an 18.0% chance at #1, which is kind of absurd. Not only that, but since all the Top-3 picks are in play, Arizona has a very realistic chance of dropping down to 4th overall. It's a great time to be below average.

Just look at last year's results:

p6WyEX9.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad