GDT: Rangers at Sens - 1 pm at the CTC - When Swedes Collide

Status
Not open for further replies.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I didn't pin anything directly on Cowen. You are making your own conclusions. I only observed that we looked faster and our zone exits were much better in his absence.

I would say this has far more to do with us playing the Rangers than it does Cowen being out of the lineup.

Their system allows for pretty crisp breakouts from oposing teams, Rangers forwards often retreat as they fall back to defend, then they depend on forcing turnovers and smothering zone entry as the other team moves past the red line.

MainDotC

Depth Defenceman
Apr 29, 2007
Westerville, OH
You respect a team that tries hard but loses. There are very few Sens who play hard and try night in and night out. ZJ, Turris, Pageau, Prince, Lazar, Methot, Chiasson, and Boro. Hoffman also fits into that category but he's in a league of his own as he's playing with an unsupporting cast. I used to think Hoffman was a bust after 5 rookie camps and being sent down to Bingo 4 times but clearly he was developed properly, and unfortunately that will come back to bite the next GM because he will fetch a high price on the open market.

EK, Stone, 9MM, Smith, Neil, Cowan, Ceci, and Puempel fit into a category where they have flashes of excellent play or hard work but even it out with technical failures: inability to get to the puck, overthinking, bad passes, and general poor decisions. EK, Stone, Smith, and Cowan tend to be on the better side of this category, while the others suffer more negatives than positives.

Then you have the absolute worst work ethic of all - Ryan, Weircoch, and Ceci. I don't say this to bash them - I support them every game and I hope the best for them - but they're simply not meeting expectations. Ryan picks up points but still tries to do more than he's capable and fails. Weircoch can only go up at this point, and Ceci is just shy of the 2nd category.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
My thoughts exactly.

The team just seems to move the puck better with more consistency when Cowen is not in the lineup. He has been better than Wier and Boro this season but they just seem to play better without him. I dont know why but they do. Maybe it has something to do with having 5 players that move the puck well. Boro made a great pass up the middle to Zibanejad which he mishandled he seemed much more comfortable this game on the left side.

It was nice to see the sens play that type of game against a good team. My heart cant handle all the defensive miscues and firewagon hockey they have been playing and it wont work when it really counts. Hope they continue to tighten up. This team has the game breakers to win those close games if they play the right way.

Karlsson sure has stepped it up since Nashville.

Zibanejad has to at least get that puck on net in o.t when he is in a one time position in the hashmarks.

Bobby Ryan sure looks good doesnt he!

I think you're just seeing what you want to see. They played well against Vancouver without Wiercioch. Yesterday they played well without Cowen.

A more likely cause for them playing well in the last 2 games is getting demolished by Nashville on Tuesday and many players, including our captain and main puck mover, collectively getting their heads out of their *****.

Comely

Nov 26, 2007
Cambridge
I think you're just seeing what you want to see. They played well against Vancouver without Wiercioch. Yesterday they played well without Cowen.

A more likely cause for them playing well in the last 2 games is getting demolished by Nashville on Tuesday and many players, including our captain and main puck mover, collectively getting their heads out of their *****.

Not only that I don't think Boro is good enough of a hockey player to play his off side at even strength. Its a bit easier to do on the PK when all you have to do is block and get the puck out but transitioning while playing your off side is more difficult.

I think they need to leave Wideman in just for appropriate slotting purposes. Wiercoich failed on his off side, Boro is failing there and I dont even want them to consider trying Cowen over there. As far as who gets scratched between the bottom 3 left defencemen I dont think is important they have all had their good and bad games this year.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

I thought yesterday was our defences best game of the season. Including wiercioch. Even boro looked good out there.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014

Lossing 7-5 is not getting demolished.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
You respect a team that tries hard but loses. There are very few Sens who play hard and try night in and night out. ZJ, Turris, Pageau, Prince, Lazar, Methot, Chiasson, and Boro. Hoffman also fits into that category but he's in a league of his own as he's playing with an unsupporting cast. I used to think Hoffman was a bust after 5 rookie camps and being sent down to Bingo 4 times but clearly he was developed properly, and unfortunately that will come back to bite the next GM because he will fetch a high price on the open market.

EK, Stone, 9MM, Smith, Neil, Cowan, Ceci, and Puempel fit into a category where they have flashes of excellent play or hard work but even it out with technical failures: inability to get to the puck, overthinking, bad passes, and general poor decisions. EK, Stone, Smith, and Cowan tend to be on the better side of this category, while the others suffer more negatives than positives.

Then you have the absolute worst work ethic of all - Ryan, Weircoch, and Ceci. I don't say this to bash them - I support them every game and I hope the best for them - but they're simply not meeting expectations. Ryan picks up points but still tries to do more than he's capable and fails. Weircoch can only go up at this point, and Ceci is just shy of the 2nd category.

Huh? Ceci is an absolute work horse out there. Game in game out

SixthSens

RIP Fugu
Dec 5, 2007
I was at the game yesterday and I thought Ceci played well. Also, despite the Rangers outshooting us I still feel as though we controlled the game more.

Hoff-Turris-Stone were insane whenever they were on the ice. Hoff and Stone both had some glorious chances, only to be denied by the post.

The 3 on 3 OT was very exciting as well. The crowd loved it.

burf

Mar 27, 2012
Yeah not seeing, what this guy is seeing.Guy has carried his pairing since he came into the nhl.

Ceci's been pretty bad since his first season, and last season he was carried by Wiercioch. This season they're both trash. On the other hand, when they've been split up this year, they've both somehow been even worse.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002

Haven't posted for awhile but just wanted to say I disagree with almost the entirety of this post.
Good day to all.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Yeah, some posters are missing the point here. No one is really pinpointing one player as the culprit for the defensive struggles. Although Wier has been getting the brunt lately. Justifiably so, but I would make the argument that it's been exaggerated. The problem is that we have too many players on D who are one or both of the following:

(a) slow
(b) not very good at handling the puck

By my count we got 3 players actively that fall into one or both of the above. If Phillips comes back, we'll have 4 out of 8. Now, go through the rosters of the teams in first place or near the top and try to count how many players they got that fall into those categories.

NYR - 1 - but he's played only 3 games so far (McIlrath)
MTL - 1 - you can make the case for Emelin
LAK - 1 - McNabb
DAL - 1 - Maybe Benn
etc...

The point is BM built this team, but he made a mistake with the D. When one of the slow or terrible puck handlers is out of the starting lineup, we actually look better. It could be Cowen, Boro or to a lesser degree Wier.

Cannot disagree with your assessment of the Senatos defensemen. 4 out of 8 are not very good, and are third pairing or less level. Only 2 out of 8 are top 4 level with one having potential to get there (i.e., Ceci). I think Cowen might get there too but his development time is nearing the end and he must show more progress asap.

However, I blame some of the forwards for the high shots against, not just the defensemen.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury

I'm a Zibanejad fan through and through, but to say that he is always playing as hard as he can, and that Ceci and Ryan are not, is just not a train of thought that I agree with.

Everyone has issues some nights, and no one on our roster is a perfect hockey player.

Theres too much grey area in this discussion for me lump any player into one of those 3 categories.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Conspiracy theory: they won't suspend a Sens player whose absence wouldn't hurt the performance of the team so they can pretend to show a lack of bias, and "make up" for the Stone suspension. :naughty:

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Conspiracy theory: they won't suspend a Sens player whose absence wouldn't hurt the performance of the team so they can pretend to show a lack of bias, and "make up" for the Stone suspension. :naughty:

There was nothing egregious to penalize as both players were shoving each other. Regarding Stone's suspension, it was a poor call by the refs and the league's so-called Safety Committee.

What bugs me is the obvious interference on Smith during the last game after he iced the puck and tried to go around the Ranger defensemen, which the ref did not call even though he was looking right at them.

Scrub*

Team Canada
Dec 28, 2008
We're terrible against good teams still. If the team wants to take the next step some major changes need to happen with the roster.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
We're terrible against good teams still. If the team wants to take the next step some major changes need to happen with the roster.

Someone created a strength of scheduling thread on the main boards and created some interesting stats.

This is our win percentage against teams in the top 8 so far: .167
This is our win percentage against teams in the bottom 8: .750

We have only played 17 games though.

I also don't know how much trust i put into these numbers either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad