Post-Game Talk: Rangers at Sabres - February 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
I want Franson.

he can be good and he can be invisible, and sometimes sloppy, but that's every one i guess

might be gettable for Klein if Buff needs a D to expose in Exp Draft (i havent studied their CapFreindly page) , we would still have Holden to post

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
I honestly dont understand how some of you can watch last nights game and come to the conclusion that the defence was ok.

cause we only gave up 1 goal. so the 35 shots against from one of the worst teams in the league doesn't matter now

was a pretty fun game in the 2nd half though

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Henrik Lundqvist was outstanding last night.

I also though that defensively, they were pretty good. I also thought Buffalo had a tremendous amount of puck luck with bounces and deflections that led to many of their good chances. It wasn't an issue of giveaways and terrible coverage as much as it was a last second stick on a sure clear or a puck hitting a skate that kept a puck in the zone.

The Rangers had little puck luck. Nash could have had four goals if the puck would have just sat for him. I don't know how many times a puck would slip under a Ranger stick. Then Skjei has a wide open chance and the stick breaks. Seemed like they were snakebit all night long. It was the same **** as the Philadelphia game a few days ago.

Even though he had two assists, Zibanejad was garbage. Turnover and giveaway machine last night.

I think Zib only had 1 assist. Not 2. I still do not know what to make of him as a player. He looks so good at times but on other times he has struggled to hold on to the puck.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
cause we only gave up 1 goal. so the 35 shots against from one of the worst teams in the league doesn't matter now

I blame the forwards because we only had 44. Also, they're not tough enough.

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
I think Zib only had 1 assist. Not 2. I still do not know what to make of him as a player. He looks so good at times but on other times he has struggled to hold on to the puck.

You can go back to my posts in the summer where I stated that I hated this trade and farther back where I called him extremely overrated.

I have never been a fan.

He has a tremendous amount of raw talent, but it's not always on display, AND at times he looks bad. Based on what is shown at times, he should be a 70-75 point scorer, probably will average 60 points a year for his career. Not that it's terrible; you just expect more.

Siddi

Rangers Masochist
Mar 8, 2013
Global

Yeah, If not for both goalies last night the score could have been 5-5 going into OT. It is fascinating how some fans view the game of hockey.

Siddi

Rangers Masochist
Mar 8, 2013
Global
31 games remain. If Girardi dressed 28 of 31 at least he will hit 800 career regular season games. Great accomplishment.

Unless he loses all his limbs i see no reason why he wouldn't with AV in charge :laugh:

Impressive nontheless for an undrafted player.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
You can go back to my posts in the summer where I stated that I hated this trade and farther back where I called him extremely overrated.

I have never been a fan.

He has a tremendous amount of raw talent, but it's not always on display, AND at times he looks bad. Based on what is shown at times, he should be a 70-75 point scorer, probably will average 60 points a year for his career. Not that it's terrible; you just expect more.

Averaging 60 points would be pretty good. The skating and shooting skills are there. The questions for me are his ability to handle passes and control the puck. If he can soften his hands he could be great but if he doesn't he will have issues at times. I also need more time to see how consistent his motor is. We have to keep in mind he is only 23 years old. Some hiccups could go away with more seasoning. This next contract will be interesting.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I want Franson.

I've heard good things about him and bad things. But maybe playing in NYC can be a motivating factor for him. Not sure how much he will command next season. He certainly would be an upgrade to some of the D now.

NYROrtsFan

Feb 1, 2007
Some have already done it, but I'd also like to throw some praise on Grabner. The guy absolutely freaking flies out there and was so dangerous tonight. Shame he didn't get a goal.

I think he makes our attack better on his own considering the opposing defenders find it to be a natural reflex to back up more than they would usually.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Yes. Just because someone is a good passer doesn't mean they can play C.

well what would be needed besides vision and passing ability?
I think he has already demonstrated both

He's not good defensively and has always looked better on the wing.

disagree as to bold
and as to better, that is one decided by who his linemates are
some he may be better as a W, others as a C

It is impressive he can do either

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Yeah, If not for both goalies last night the score could have been 5-5 going into OT. It is fascinating how some fans view the game of hockey.

Absolutely.

However, IMO, it was more a matter of guys just making plays and some bad puck luck which created the chances against, moreso than bad defending.

I didn't think Franson's goal was even all that poorly defended. The initial drive to the net was suppressed. Instead of the puck being smothered, because it wasn't in the crease, it somehow slid out through the pile to the high slot. I thought it was a guy who was essentially covered got a little bit of a desperation stick on it and deflected it. Franson read the play beautifully.

Pfranz94

Jan 16, 2014
New York
Our shot differential vs. Buffalo is concerning. If a basement team can do that to the Rangers, you can bet your arse playoff teams will be able to as well. They shouldn't be giving up 34, 37 shots against the Sabres.

They outshot buffalo 34-23 5v5, and 39-26 at even strength. I'll say that the pk could've been better, but they were pretty good at 5v5 and even strength.

Pfranz94

Jan 16, 2014
New York
Zibanejad is 23 people. He is still throwing up a .73 ppg. He missed a ton of time and is still on pace for 41 points.

That trade is looking like an absolute steal! What was Ottawa thinking? Why would you give up on a 23 year old with that much talent?

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
That trade is looking like an absolute steal! What was Ottawa thinking? Why would you give up on a 23 year old with that much talent?

Because you are a team with a strict budget and it allowed you to acquire a player with a better track record while saving millions of dollars. We are spoiled as NYR fans by having a team with endless pockets.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
Henrik played real well in the 4 games with Hellberg backing up. Raanta comes back as the back up against Columbus and Henrik doesn't do so well. Raanta takes a leave of absence and Henrik puts on a great performance. I think Raanta is the real problem with our goaltending.

Pfranz94

Jan 16, 2014
New York
Because you are a team with a strict budget and it allowed you to acquire a player with a better track record while saving millions of dollars. We are spoiled as NYR fans by having a team with endless pockets.

Exactly. This trade should swing heavily in the rangers favor down the road, once they're able to resign zib. He's got so much talent that should only get better considering he's only 23. It's good to see brass having a pretty solid season for Ottawa though. 9g 18a, and a 55.1 corsi% and a 10.3 corsi% rel. Loved him while he was here.

Pfranz94

Jan 16, 2014
New York
Henrik played real well in the 4 games with Hellberg backing up. Raanta comes back as the back up against Columbus and Henrik doesn't do so well. Raanta takes a leave of absence and Henrik puts on a great performance. I think Raanta is the real problem with our goaltending.

Think you may be onto something here..... :laugh:

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Peoe forget that Brass was coming off a tournament where he played as well as anyone before the trade was made. Ottawa saw a solid center on a good contract. Brass was not chump change

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
Klein and Girardi turning the puck over and failing to get the puck out and even getting it out with possession is hurting this team more than our goaltending. Half of the scrambled in our zone is because of inefficiency from those two. Skjei wasn't spectacular either last night but i will blame Klein for that instead. Skjei was fine with Clendo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad