GDT: Rangers at Canes

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Hard to say. Necas might be faster, but the Canes have a lot of speed.

Necas is faster but it looks like a reckless speed to me. Foegele has great control to his acceleration as well as top-end speed which makes him a big threat to spring PK breakaways. Also makes him so dangerous within 5 feet of the crease, he can zip behind the net and make a play faster than most D can mentally formulate a breakout plan.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
Necas is faster but it looks like a reckless speed to me. Foegele has great control to his acceleration as well as top-end speed which makes him a big threat to spring PK breakaways. Also makes him so dangerous within 5 feet of the crease, he can zip behind the net and make a play faster than most D can mentally formulate a breakout plan.

The play Foegs made to "relay" the puck to Staal for the break-away shows just how fast he can accelerate at the drop. He straight up turned and burned. Impressive stuff.

Last edited:

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
The play Foegs made to "relay" the puck to Staal for the break-away shows just had fast he can accelerate at the drop. He straight up turned and burned. Impressive stuff.

Not only that, it looked to me like he effectively picked 2-3 defenders at the same time with his body control.

He’s just a high quality disruptor and his effectiveness has not dropped in the NHL. If anything it is increasing with quality of teammates. I said it in the preseason and I’ll say it again, I think Foegele has a shot to become a bigger, less nasty Marchand.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

True, but Foegele is 3 years older than Necas. Necas looks like a guy still figuring it out where-as Foegele has figured it out.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Welp, that has “Willy’s Jump Surprise” beat by a good bit.

Remove your post before Dundo sees it.

s-l300.jpg

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Calling it now, way out on a limb ... McBackup earned the next start tonight.

What, you don't believe in "if you win, you're in?"

Does Justin Williams have another 2-3 years in him? He looks good

I can see this being a media/marketing opportunity for Dundon as well. A short extension for Williams wouldn't be all that risky, would generate more good press and eat up some time that the fanbase is using to get stressed over the lack of an Aho extension.

And IIRC, he was at the end of a long PK shift, wasn't he?

Slavin (who made the outlet pass) was at the end of a long PK shift, but Staal/Foegele had just come on. TT and Aho played the 4-on-4 and got stuck on the PK when Buchnevich finished serving the too-many-men penalty and the Rangers held the zone. I'm not sure if the Rangers d changed, but Staal and Foegele were *just* coming on the ice when they teamed up.

BTW, props to TT/Aho for the solid minute of PK effort at the end of their shift. I saw somewhere that they were out for over two minutes total.

EDIT: Slavin saved a goal with a diving back save while shorthanded, then made a perfect 130-foot pass to Warren Foegele (for which he received a "secondary" assist), at the end of a *two minute and 22 second* shift for he and Brett Pesce! Aho was out for 2:01, TT for 1:37.

Last edited:

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Slavin (who made the outlet pass) was at the end of a long PK shift, but Staal/Foegele had just come on. TT and Aho played the 4-on-4 and got stuck on the PK when Buchnevich finished serving the too-many-men penalty. I'm not sure if the Rangers d changed, but Staal and Foegele were *just* coming on the ice when they teamed up.

BTW, props to TT/Aho for the solid minute of PK effort at the end of their shift. I saw somewhere that they were out for over two minutes total.

Ah, ok. Staal showed some pretty good wheels there as well. He takes longer to get up to speed, but he has more speed than we sometimes recognize.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Gents, I woke up this morning with a clear mind and inspiration, the muse that she is, struck me and as a result I've officially thought of a name for the post-game celebration if it continues. Ladies and gents, I give you...the Storm Surge.

My question is if this was a one-time thing, or is it an "every win" thing, or are they going to come up with something different next time? Hopefully we get some answers tomorrow night.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
My question is if this was a one-time thing, or is it an "every win" thing, or are they going to come up with something different next time? Hopefully we get some answers tomorrow night.

From Martinook:

"It was planned," Martinook said. "I don't know if we're going to do that one for the whole year. We'll keep the fans on their toes and keep them guessing on what we're going to do next."

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
I would absolutely love to see them doing that or something similar after home victories! It would help show they're having fun, keep the crowd engaged (not to mention keep the crowd around to see what their next "antic" is), help with team bonding (coming up with ideas and participating together)

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
Regarding PDG vs Zykov: This is what accountability looks like, kids. You've been begging for it for years, it finally arrives, and you whine that the 13th forward is getting ice time in favor of the #12 forward? Get ahold of yourselves, for chrissakes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad