Confirmed with Link: Rangers acquire Patrick Kane, Cooper Zech for 2023 2nd (Becomes 1st in 2024 or 2025 if NYR Make ECF), 2025 4th, A. Welinski; Condt'l 2025 3rd to AZ

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
I'd probably throw the Leafs in there as well.
As of this moment, if I had to rank teams in the East in terms of SC probability, this is my order: (and keep in mind, wherever I put the Rangers is completely bias):

1. Bruins
(they have a very good, balanced team, top to bottom. Very good goaltending and very good D) but their biggest advantage is they've played the right way all year long. They have been clicking in a way that makes them very formidable. This season, they've gotten the best most consistent goaltending in the entire league.

2. Tampa
They are playing pretty mediocre. Their D is not as deep without McDonagh, but they are a damn buzzsaw. They will beat up most teams who have to go through them.

3. Toronto/NYR
I think we're neck and neck with TO. IF Igor can elevate his game and the whole team elevates their D structure and puck management, then maybe we could find a small edge. But it's really close. Both teams added quite a bit at the deadline, so both squads face a bit of a chemistry/mix question. But I really like the O'Reilly addition for them. If they add a goalie, that'll be interesting. I just wonder about adding a goalie at the deadline. Adding a starter at the deadline just seems like a risky proposition. The X factor for us will be Kane's effect on the team. I don't mean on the score sheet necessarily. I mean in the swagger department. That is an intangible that can't be measured ahead of time

4. NJ/Hurricanes
The Devils could surprise. Vanecek has had a very good season. Meier could be a big boost. Tons of skill. Forward lines have done really well all year. They are very similar to us last season. I don't think they're playing with much pressure. Despite all that, I wonder about their D and G in the playoffs. Though, in fairness, we've had D and G issues most of this year -- more than they have. The Canes -- I mean we all know what they can do. They keep adding more of the same kind of player. I just don't know that they have what they need to compete at the highest levels of the conference in the playoffs.

All this to say -- I think we're basically right in the middle here. I think anyone can beat anyone within this group.

It's a blessing for anyone coming out of the Metro that we don't have to play 2 of Boston, Tampa and Toronto. And we can only hope that whatever team survives those first two rounds is doing so on a half a leg.

The West is wide open. It kinda reminds me of 1994, when the Canucks made it to the Finals and were not really that great.

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want
I see no realistic path to re-signing Kane or Tarasenko. Am I wrong?

Probably not but then again, two months ago, "I see no realistic path to trading for both Kane and Tarasenko this year. Am I wrong?"

These are the type of draft picks people are shedding tears over right now. They were more valuable to a contender before they were ever drafted.

The asset that is a draft pick, eventually turning into a drafted player, has its highest value right up to the moment before a GM makes his way to the podium to announce the player chosen. Statistically and subsequently, logically, the value of said asset decreases thereon. This is especially true for the back-half of the first round picks onwards.

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
Kane demands so much respect already and he hasn't even walked into the room. I def underestimated this aspect. This makes it even more important for him to take on a leadership role immediately. He really has the gravitas to do that in a way that very few players around the league have. The last acquisition that came close to this was St. Louis. But Kane even more so given how many current roster players idolized him growing up.

EDIT: Kane goes all out on a backcheck or two in his first game. And comes back to the bench with a determined look on his face, it'll go a very long way to fixing what has ailed this team all year.

Who indeed . . .
Sounds like a comedy from the 80s - "Who is Cooper Zech?"

The only thing we do know? He's no Harry Crumb.

Last edited:

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
As of this moment, if I had to rank teams in the East in terms of SC probability, this is my order: (and keep in mind, wherever I put the Rangers is completely bias):

1. Bruins
(they have a very good, balanced team, top to bottom. Very good goaltending and very good D) but their biggest advantage is they've played the right way all year long. They have been clicking in a way that makes them very formidable. This season, they've gotten the best most consistent goaltending in the entire league.

2. Tampa
They are playing pretty mediocre. Their D is not as deep without McDonagh, but they are a damn buzzsaw. They will beat up most teams who have to go through them.

3. Toronto/NYR
I think we're neck and neck with TO. IF Igor can elevate his game and the whole team elevates their D structure and puck management, then maybe we could find a small edge. But it's really close. Both teams added quite a bit at the deadline, so both squads face a bit of a chemistry/mix question. But I really like the O'Reilly addition for them. If they add a goalie, that'll be interesting. I just wonder about adding a goalie at the deadline. Adding a starter at the deadline just seems like a risky proposition. The X factor for us will be Kane's effect on the team. I don't mean on the score sheet necessarily. I mean in the swagger department. That is an intangible that can't be measured ahead of time

4. NJ/Hurricanes
The Devils could surprise. Vanecek has had a very good season. Meier could be a big boost. Tons of skill. Forward lines have done really well all year. They are very similar to us last season. I don't think they're playing with much pressure. Despite all that, I wonder about their D and G in the playoffs. Though, in fairness, we've had D and G issues most of this year -- more than they have. The Canes -- I mean we all know what they can do. They keep adding more of the same kind of player. I just don't know that they have what they need to compete at the highest levels of the conference in the playoffs.

All this to say -- I think we're basically right in the middle here. I think anyone can beat anyone within this group.

It's a blessing for anyone coming out of the Metro that we don't have to play 2 of Boston, Tampa and Toronto. And we can only hope that whatever team survives those first two rounds is doing so on a half a leg.

The West is wide open. It kinda reminds me of 1994, when the Canucks made it to the Finals and were not really that great.
if we beat NJ we're going all the way , but i could see us easily losing to them if we aren't smart.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
Kane demands so much respect already and he hasn't even walked into the room. I def underestimated this aspect. This makes it even more important for him to take on a leadership role immediately. He really has the gravitas to do that in a way that very few players around the league have. The last acquisition that came close to this was St. Louis. But Kane even more so given how many current roster players idolized him growing up.

I can't wait for Kreider and Zibs to defer to him when he gets moved to their line lol.

Joking aside I mentioned the gravitas aspect after the flop game against Detroit where they were distracted. Hopefully Kane is the icon this locker room can rally around.

Reactions: Captain Lindy

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012

EDIT: Kane goes all out on a backcheck or two in his first game. And comes back to the bench with a determined look on his face, it'll go a very long way to fixing what has ailed this team all year.

Sounds like a comedy from the 80s - "Who is Cooper Zech?"

The only thing we do know? He's no Harry Crumb.
That’s what I said. He’s not the captain but he will command the room. The amount of respect is about as much as you can get.

If he also leads by example, we’re cooking now.

If Panarin goes back to old Panarin? And putting himself in positions to score? Oooooo baby

Reactions: Captain Lindy

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
That's not really true. Minny got a 5th to retain 1.275 mil on Orlov, and a 4th to retain 1.875 mil for O'Reilly. Arizona retained 2.625 on Kane and got a 3rd. Seems right in line with what should've been expected.
1677691943189.png

The actual money is $172,432. The cap hit means nothing to Arizona. They are using Ladd and Little in addition to Weber who was acquired last week to reach the floor.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
That’s what I said. He’s not the captain but he will command the room. The amount of respect is about as much as you can get.

If he also leads by example, we’re cooking now.

If Panarin goes back to old Panarin? And putting himself in positions to score? Oooooo baby
When they played together Panarin was the trigger man, if adding Kane just makes Panarin more of a shooter it's going to make that line incredibly effective.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
View attachment 660092

The actual money is $172,432. The cap hit means nothing to Arizona. They are using Ladd and Little in addition to Weber who was acquired last week to reach the floor.

The cap hit means something to the Rangers, and the Coyotes knew it. I'm not going to kill Drury because he needed to trade a 3rd instead of a 4th to add a superstar player. Our system isnt going to miss adding another Oliver Tarnstrom.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
The cap hit means something to the Rangers, and the Coyotes knew it. I'm not going to kill Drury because he needed to trade a 3rd instead of a 4th to add a superstar player. Our system isnt going to miss adding another Oliver Tarnstrom.
Yeah. Much like the Rangers had Chicago's feet over the fire to some degree, Arizona had some leverage over the Rangers. Particularly if they felt like they were the only team offering to absorb the hit to get the deal done.

I wouldn't want the deal to fall apart over the difference between a third and a fourth, given the relative (lack of) value of those picks.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Yeah. Much like the Rangers had Chicago's feet over the fire to some degree, Arizona had some leverage over the Rangers. Particularly if they felt like they were the only team offering to absorb the hit to get the deal done.

I wouldn't want the deal to fall apart over the difference between a third and a fourth, given the relative (lack of) value of those picks.

Yeah, I agree. I thought they could've done better but, then again, I also thought Buchnevich would garner a lot more interest than he did as well.

As I said, that was the most disappointing part of the trade to me - Kane for a conditional 2nd and a 4th is a joke - considering what was being floated around a few weeks ago ("Kakko, 1st, 1st, +). I'm all for it with this team at this price. Bring it, bitches.

Reactions: nyr2k2

Bacon Artemi Bravo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2007
Yeah, I agree. I thought they could've done better but, then again, I also thought Buchnevich would garner a lot more interest than he did as well.

As I said, that was the most disappointing part of the trade to me - Kane for a conditional 2nd and a 4th is a joke - considering what was being floated around a few weeks ago ("Kakko, 1st, 1st, +). I'm all for it with this team at this price. Bring it, bitches.
That being said it is a 2025 3rd which has less value than a 2024 or 2023 3rd. You could maybe make the arguement that a 2025 3rd is same or equal value to a 2023 4th or 5th.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad