Rangers 2020 Draft

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
This was the last draft under Gorton.

Its funny that they were giving him credit for Rempe during the broadcast. It was Marshall Davidson (JD's brother) who went to bat for him and encouraged him to start playing more of an enforcer role.

He also found Parayko in St Louis. Now there is a gulf between those 2 players but as far as nepo scouts go he was a pretty good one.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019

Its funny that they were giving him credit for Rempe during the broadcast. It was Marshall Davidson (JD's brother) who went to bat for him and encouraged him to start playing more of an enforcer role.

He also found Parayko in St Louis. Now there is a gulf between those 2 players but as far as nepo scouts go he was a pretty good one.

Didnt Davidson want the Rangers to pick Schneider. I could be wrong but I believe Davidson believed he was going to be a top 4 dman and he looks better in the top 4 than 3rd pair.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Didnt Davidson want the Rangers to pick Schneider. I could be wrong but I believe Davidson believed he was going to be a top 4 dman and he looks better in the top 4 than 3rd pair.

He did but I think there was more than just him.

Chris Moorehouse (who runs San Jose's drafts now) was a HUGE fan.

Also another JD nepo scout who is pretty good.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
TeamTotal GamesPlayerRound DraftedTotal Games
Rangers606Lafreniere1st (1st)298
Schneider1st (19th)206
Cuylle2nd (60th)85
Rempe6th (165th)17
Senators573Stutzle1st (3rd)285
Sanderson1st (5th)156
Greig1st (28th)92
Jarventie2nd (33rd)7
Kleven2nd (44th)17
Sokolov2nd (61st)13
Merilainen3rd (71st)2
Reinhardt6th (181st)1
devils405Holtz1st (7th)110
Mercer1st (18th)246
Mukhamadullin1st (20th)3 (SJ)
Daws3rd (84th)46
Kings344Byfield1st (2nd)179
Faber2nd (45th)84 (Min)
Laferriere3rd (83rd)81
Sabres265Quinn1st (8th)104
Peterka2nd (34th)161

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

When I spoke to Rempe (And Korczak as well) he credited Kim Gellert as the guy who spoke to him both before and after him being drafted by the Rangers. Gellert is the guy who has been assigned to the WHL and BCHL for the Rangers going back to 2017.

I think Gellert is a guy who very much flies under the radar when looking at our WHL draft success lately.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
When I spoke to Rempe (And Korczak as well) he credited Kim Gellert as the guy who spoke to him both before and after him being drafted by the Rangers. Gellert is the guy who has been assigned to the WHL and BCHL for the Rangers going back to 2017.

I think Gellert is a guy who very much flies under the radar when looking at our WHL draft success lately.
Do we still have Konowalchuk doing W scouting?

I love the W, and we neglected that league for way too long

Reactions: savebyrichter94

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Do we still have Konowalchuk doing W scouting?

I love the W, and we neglected that league for way too long

He was a WHL scout for just one year before switching to pro scouting in 2020. But yes, he was also involved and as a former Seattle coach he definitely had some contacts to tell him about Rempe.

But Gellert was the guy who worked with the kids in the WHL on a regular basis.

bogans

Mar 24, 2007
Philly
TeamTotal GamesPlayerRound DraftedTotal Games
Rangers606Lafreniere1st (1st)298
Schneider1st (19th)206
Cuylle2nd (60th)85
Rempe6th (165th)17
Senators573Stutzle1st (3rd)285
Sanderson1st (5th)156
Greig1st (28th)92
Jarventie2nd (33rd)7
Kleven2nd (44th)17
Sokolov2nd (61st)13
Merilainen3rd (71st)2
Reinhardt6th (181st)1
devils405Holtz1st (7th)110
Mercer1st (18th)246
Mukhamadullin1st (20th)3 (SJ)
Daws3rd (84th)46
Kings344Byfield1st (2nd)179
Faber2nd (45th)84 (Min)
Laferriere3rd (83rd)81
Sabres265Quinn1st (8th)104
Peterka2nd (34th)161
But that is missing Brett Berard in the fifth round who just had a GREAT rookie season in the AHL and looks like the kind of third line pest with scoring touch that every team in the league covets.

PLUS Dylan Garand is at least a NHL backup if not a starter at some point.

The 2020 NHL draft will prove out to be the Rangers best of all time.

• Love
Reactions: SnowblindNYR

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
i'm trying to figure out what my reasonable expectation is for Cuylles development. Will he have a chance at top 6? there is a hole on KZ wing that i don't see berard fitting into. Othmann is obviously the guy you'd see there ideally.

Reactions: RangersFan1994

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
i'm trying to figure out what my reasonable expectation is for Cuylles development. Will he have a chance at top 6? there is a hole on KZ wing that i don't see berard fitting into. Othmann is obviously the guy you'd see there ideally.
Not sure how important this is. As a 3rd line winger, I think he's already doing great. Any further development is really gravy, but to answer your question as it's just about where others see his upside, I'm expecting something along the lines of a younger Dakota Joshua or Lawson Crouse. His upper limit will depend on coaching, off season training, commitment, and to some degree his linemates throughout his career. At the same age, his AHL numbers at 1.35x Kreider's but at the same age, his 1st full NHL season numbers are 0.45x of Kreider's. Magic bean numbers but this seed did sprout.

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
Not sure how important this is. As a 3rd line winger, I think he's already doing great. Any further development is really gravy, but to answer your question as it's just about where others see his upside, I'm expecting something along the lines of a younger Dakota Joshua or Lawson Crouse. His upper limit will depend on coaching, off season training, commitment, and to some degree his linemates throughout his career. At the same age, his AHL numbers at 1.35x Kreider's but at the same age, his 1st full NHL season numbers are 0.45x of Kreider's. Magic bean numbers but this seed did sprout.
I wasn't criticizing him at all - i agree he's had a very good rookie season. The point as you alluded to is a question of his upside.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Since the John Lilley turnover it's somewhat premature but our drafting looks pretty good. Just from 2023---with only 5 picks we have Perreault who looks fantastic and Fortescue and Roobroeck who are looking really good. Rasmus Larsson (Northern Michigan) and Ty Henricks (Western Michigan) will begin their college careers next year.

Even though we didn't have a 1st rounder I like our first 4 picks from 2022 as well--Sykora, BMB, Laba and Mancini. Mancini after his signing has been looking great in Hartford.

2022 might be more of a mixed bag. Both Othmann and Korczak made good jumps from the CHL to the AHL. Othmann certainly with the higher upside. I like Chmelar quite a lot. Vaisanen finished the year with the Pack (had 6 shots in 3 games and seemed to do okay) and Lamb improved in his sophomore year at Minnesota U. Boyko also signed---was so so for a while in the ECHL but finished pretty strongly.

The Rangers have been getting really good returns from later round draft picks the last several years. They've focused on size and skating but a lot of these guys look like they could have a future in bottom 6 and bottom pair roles and chip in.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Since the John Lilley turnover it's somewhat premature but our drafting looks pretty good. Just from 2023---with only 5 picks we have Perreault who looks fantastic and Fortescue and Roobroeck who are looking really good. Rasmus Larsson (Northern Michigan) and Ty Henricks (Western Michigan) will begin their college careers next year.

Even though we didn't have a 1st rounder I like our first 4 picks from 2022 as well--Sykora, BMB, Laba and Mancini. Mancini after his signing has been looking great in Hartford.

2022 might be more of a mixed bag. Both Othmann and Korczak made good jumps from the CHL to the AHL. Othmann certainly with the higher upside. I like Chmelar quite a lot. Vaisanen finished the year with the Pack (had 6 shots in 3 games and seemed to do okay) and Lamb improved in his sophomore year at Minnesota U. Boyko also signed---was so so for a while in the ECHL but finished pretty strongly.

The Rangers have been getting really good returns from later round draft picks the last several years. They've focused on size and skating but a lot of these guys look like they could have a future in bottom 6 and bottom pair roles and chip in.

You mean 2021, right?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad