• Igortrude Shesterkins

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
I hear you, but it's frustrating to read complaints about the team when they keep winning. The hating on the coach, the complaining about different aspects, nitpicking everything.

I'm here for the entertainment of the team winning. If we win but take only 45% of faceoffs, ok. If we win because Shesty kept what should have been a 4-3 loss and turns it into a 3-2 win, ok. So the eye test is , did I get to see them win. Last year was even more of an outlier because when a team outplays metrics then there is a LOT more of complaining while winning. I'm a 90-10 watching vs reading stats kind of fan. So yeah, I don't mesh well with the 50-50, 60-40 types, never mind the ones who seem like they only read the data sheet.
Its like when you go on IMDB to read some reviews about a movie you really like only to find several people rating it 1-3 and going on about some bullshit how the characters weren't expanded upon enough or they didn't care for the cinematography.

Not every movie is The Godfather or Dark Knight. Were you entertained? Did it take your mind off of things and make you feel good? Regardless of what genre it is, even some silly comedies or junky 80's movies, they are great movies to YOU. Doesnt mean theyll resonate in the pantheon of cinema - and thats OK.

The Rangers have always been a place to call home. Regardless of the outcome. Sure, there have been many a season where I've been disenchanted to the point where I didn't want to watch. But season to season It's a journey, and love him or hate him Sammy is our narrator for it all.

After living through it for many years (this will be my 33rd), you understand the rollercoaster ride that is a season and you begin to embrace it for all of the great nights, bad decisions, special moments and games you just want to forget about. There's always another game on the schedule to get it right and enjoy a win. Theres always another prospect to get hopeful about. Always a potential trade to wonder about. Its all that stuff that makes it worth it.

This team, in particular, is unique to me because of the mix of youth, veterans, skillsets and personalities. Each of them has something special to offer and they all contribute to a really strong and fun core to watch grow together.

Are they perfect? No. Who is? Top to bottom there haven't been too many rosters I have felt this way about. And it's OK to think something special is going on here. Why not? That's why you tune into games, walk into the Garden with a smile and share the feeling of belief. Win or lose this is an entertaining, talented bunch that has a flair for the dramatic. They are anything but boring, which would be the biggest thing to complain about for me.

Last edited:

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
One highly underrated part of the game last night -- Shesterkin's ability to limit the Wild's ability to dump, recover and establish the cycle. Shesty wasn't just stopping pucks and getting them to his D the way most great puck handling goalies can, he was, on top of that, making legit outlet passes to forwards. Like, he was legit a 3rd pucking moving D out there. Not only does that eliminate the cycle and shorten zone time, it becomes a huge weapon during the 2nd period where teams have the long change. If it's harder to dump and change that can wear a team down. And the amount of pressure it removes from our young D cannot be overstated. I don't know that I've seen a goalie better at this in my lifetime.

Beyond that, this team is far more complete than it has been in a long time. It's not necessarily as complete as the early 2010 teams. But close. That said, the big difference is skill. We are oozing young talent and skill and size and the kids are finally of an age where they might be ready to take the next step to contention.

Though to caution, we are not that deep beyond what's on the ice. so, a lot of our success will come down to durability. We will want to add some depth at the deadline for sure. If we are able bring in Berard and Othmann end of this year and into next, we'll have a more complete squad because we'll have a few legit AHL options, in addition to Cuylle, Brodzinski. etc.

I would think, come deadline, we'll want to bring in at least one vet D. And at least one jack of all trades forward who can play anywhere up and down the lineup without us missing a beat.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
Now I will say, in actuality, that I do think I, or others on this board, could be a good general manager, if we had the right connections that you obviously cannot acquire without being in the league for a long time first.

Implementing a team building philosophy and the minutia it entails (contract negotiation, the math involved in salary cap management, managing personalities, etc) are things that lots and lots of lawyers, accountants, managers, executives, etc, are absolutely capable of handling.

Coaching is different. I'm pretty sure I could be a GM though. What I, and many others on this board, lack is the ten year playing career to establish good rapport with other GMs, coaches, agents and players.
How are your negotiation skills? What's the best deal you ever got on a new car? Are you able to remain calm under pressure? Do you display empathy when faced with friction-filled situations? Are you a good leader, can you lead teams with members who look to you for guidance in pressure- packed situations such as Draft Day? Can you handle daily, three-hour martini lunches? Do you call a fellow executive to apologize after you've fleeced them? Can you break glass, as in glass ceilings to promote career development of others? If you're locked out of the executive washroom, what's the fastest way to resolve it? Are you willing to take a psychological test? Are you willing to write your GM job application by hand?

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
One highly underrated part of the game last night -- Shesterkin's ability to limit the Wild's ability to dump, recover and establish the cycle. Shesty wasn't just stopping pucks and getting them to his D the way most great puck handling goalies can, he was, on top of that, making legit outlet passes to forwards. Like, he was legit a 3rd pucking moving D out there. Not only does that eliminate the cycle and shorten zone time, it becomes a huge weapon during the 2nd period where teams have the long change. If it's harder to dump and change that can wear a team down. And the amount of pressure it removes from our young D cannot be overstated. I don't know that I've seen a goalie better at this in my lifetime.

Beyond that, this team is far more complete than it has been in a long time. It's not necessarily as complete as the early 2010 teams. But close. That said, the big difference is skill. We are oozing young talent and skill and size and the kids are finally of an age where they might be ready to take the next step to contention.

Though to caution, we are not that deep beyond what's on the ice. so, a lot of our success will come down to durability. We will want to add some depth at the deadline for sure. If we are able bring in Berard and Othmann end of this year and into next, we'll have a more complete squad because we'll have a few legit AHL options, in addition to Cuylle, Brodzinski. etc.

I would think, come deadline, we'll want to bring in at least one vet D. And at least one jack of all trades forward who can play anywhere up and down the lineup without us missing a beat.
Nailed it. Shesty was really playing the puck well. I was actually thinking about Brodeur and how much he affected games back in his days.

Agree on everything else

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
@Machinehead this is unacceptable

I want to speak to your supervisor

iu

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I just asked to rejoin the mod team just so I can open that thread up. Wtf is going on.

Just asking since you were a mod. Do they have those little suggestion boxes like a “How to make your experience better” kinda thing.

• Haha
Reactions: will1066

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
Just asking since you were a mod. Do they have those little suggestion boxes like a “How to make your experience better” kinda thing.
I think I was last a mod in 2014 or so. They had their own subforum where they’d propose stuff. Idk how it works now that HF is on a whole different forum (xenforo compared to the previous vBulletin).

Oh I see, the new one was locked. No idea. I'm opening it now.
I shall revoke my application once I can confirm.

Reactions: Leonardo87
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad