Random trivia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Name the arena....

1957+DETROIT+RED+WINGS+LOCKER+ROOM.jpg

Team obviously follows. Home Dressing Room....

IMLACHnME

Dec 27, 2013
GTA
Can anyone name the only 8 players who have scored 100 or more NHL regular season goals in two different arenas?

Some are obvious, but a few aren't.

Two of the three remaining players are somewhat surprising. Ron Francis played seven full seasons - without ever hitting the 30-goal mark - yet was able to pot 100 goals in Pittsburgh at the Mellon Arena. Norm Ullman scored more than a 100 goals at Maple Leaf Gardens, and a good percentage of those goals were scored while wearing the flying wing.

Peter Bondra was the kind of player I had in mind when I asked about someone like Rod Gilbert possibly scoring 100 goals in two different arenas for one particular franchise.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
Two of the three remaining players are somewhat surprising. Ron Francis played seven full seasons - without ever hitting the 30-goal mark - yet was able to pot 100 goals in Pittsburgh at the Mellon Arena. Norm Ullman scored more than a 100 goals at Maple Leaf Gardens, and a good percentage of those goals were scored while wearing the flying wing.

Peter Bondra was the kind of player I had in mind when I asked about someone like Rod Gilbert possibly scoring 100 goals in two different arenas for one particular franchise.
Yes, Francis, Bondra and Ullman are the last three. I thought your question about Gilbert applied only to MSG, since the arena has the same name as the old one.

I came up with the question after finding this great blog:
http://goalspernhlarena.blogspot.ca/p/home-page.html

I appreciate that someone put so much research into compiling those stats. Hopefully someday there will be a site that will tell you how many goals each player has scored against each goalie in NHL history.

IMLACHnME

Dec 27, 2013
GTA
Constellation of Stars

Here's something the older visitors to HOH will enjoy, and - possibly/hopefully - the younger ones almost as much. See how many of the folks seen in this photo you can identify.

59allstars533.jpg

No names on the bottom of this photo.

Last edited:

IMLACHnME

Dec 27, 2013
GTA
..... :laugh: Imlach? Says right on the picture at the bottom, Juha Widing. Next plz.

That's what was happening with my Mystery Bruin. Don't know what to make of it, when I first added that Mystery King, and checked it, it did not provide the name. Sure takes the challenge out of the exercise if the names are shown.

Let's try a Mystery Seal. Hopefully, the name will not be shown.

108601b41d860371fb3a246fc149275af29b5209.jpg

No, no name on this one.

Last edited:

IMLACHnME

Dec 27, 2013
GTA
1957+DETROIT+RED+WINGS+LOCKER+ROOM.jpg

Team obviously follows. Home Dressing Room....

Killion, where did you ever find this old photo? I certainly recognize that dressing room - in the old Thorold Arena. That dressing room was not nearly as spacious as it appears in this lovely photo.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Let's try a Mystery Seal. Hopefully, the name will not be shown.

View attachment 75533

No, no name on this one.

.... :laugh: nope. No name appearing on this one. But its too easy. Dead giveaway with the 'C' on his jersey & #10 in plain view. So Im not gunna answer. Let someone else win the Kewpie Doll on that one.... nice shot too. Liked those original uni's.

Killion, where did you ever find this old photo? I certainly recognize that dressing room - in the old Thorold Arena. That dressing room was not nearly as spacious as it appears in this lovely photo.

No, no sorry, thats not Thorold. Its an NHL Building and Dressing Room. The home teams dressing room in fact. Note the absence of slogans on the walls, not even a logo. None a this wall~wall broadloom with the clubs logo on it, high def TV's in every corner, like some sort of luxury very chi~chi health club/spa the players enjoy today.... Thorold Arenas history is interesting as its actually 2 arenas in one, the first built in 1936 followed by another in 74. Home of the Jr.B Paper Bee's & Thorold Blackhawks I believe or was at one time.

As for where did I find the photo?......... oh, I have my sources. :D

IMLACHnME

Dec 27, 2013
GTA
James Whyte Arena

.... :laugh: nope. No name appearing on this one. But its too easy. Dead giveaway with the 'C' on his jersey & #10 in plain view. So Im not gunna answer. Let someone else win the Kewpie Doll on that one.... nice shot too. Liked those original uni's.

No, no sorry, thats not Thorold. Its an NHL Building and Dressing Room. The home teams dressing room in fact. Note the absence of slogans on the walls, not even a logo. None a this wall~wall broadloom with the clubs logo on it, high def TV's in every corner, like some sort of luxury very chi~chi health club/spa the players enjoy today.... Thorold Arenas history is interesting as its actually 2 arenas in one, the first built in 1936 followed by another in 74. Home of the Jr.B Paper Bee's & Thorold Blackhawks I believe or was at one time.

As for where did I find the photo?......... oh, I have my sources. :D

Here's an old - and gorgeous - interior shot of the James Whyte Arena, the older of the two arenas in Thorold. As you can see quite a crowd was gathered, perhaps to see Thorold's own Freddie Speck in action. Wish I had a dollar for every time I set foot in that place - the old blue barn on Front Street.

1297534117864_ORIGINAL.jpg

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Here's an old - and gorgeous - interior shot of the James Whyte Arena, the older of the two arenas in Thorold...

Just love those old buildings. Wonderful site here www.ohlarenaguide.com with pictures & all kinds of information on not only current of far more interest older still existing & long gone buildings. Quite the trip.... and as it doesnt look like anyones cottoning on to the photo above I'll just give... its the Detroit Red Wings Dressing Room at the Olympia. ;)

LeBlondeDemon10

Jul 10, 2010
Canada
There have been 460 NHLer's (at the start of the 13-14 season) that only have one career goal. Anyone wanna take a stab at how many finished their careers with no goals?

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
Nechayev, I think around 1983 wasn't it?

Indeed it was Victor Nechayev. Got in 3 games with the Kings in 1982-83.

Reason he made it to North America is he married an American student based in Moscow, and was given permission to move as a result; also worth noting he as only 27 when he came over, so not an older veteran by any means.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad