OT: Random D&D talk

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I run a game in Nashville and participate in one in Hendersonville 5e and AD&D 2nd edition. We also play a bunch of other genres like 7th sea, Shadowrun, Castles and Crusades, Gurps, Masquerade, and The Strange
I see they have a new version of 7th Sea now. You do that or the original version. I had collected the books years ago and they went and borked the wonderful Roll & Keep d10 system in favor of cookie cutter d20 set-up (ugh...d20...). Curious if they went back to the old style or doubled down.

Haven't actually played in years, mostly cRPGs and a few MMOs now, but I do find some of my favored board games lend themselves real well for some short-term hamming it up in character (looking at you Arkham Horror).

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
So what character classes should we use for said one shot avys? :thumbu:

I am currently playing a paladin. Go figure lol.

Of note, I do not play online or console games. Not my cup of tea.
Well, while my current major campaign character is a ranger, in pickup games I constantly find myself being the only one in my groups that actually remembers most of the contents of the spell list and how they work, so I pretty much always end up playing the mage. :)

And if one infamous past campaign is any indication, BFC ought to be up for playing the part of "meatshield" ably and well. Just give him a baseball bat for melee and a couple of cages with rats in them for ranged and we should be good. :nod:
come on, we're talking tabletop RP, of course in-jokes known only to about 5 or 6 people on the planet are going to show up...

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
And if one infamous past campaign is any indication, BFC ought to be up for playing the part of "meatshield" ably and well. Just give him a baseball bat for melee and a couple of cages with rats in them for ranged and we should be good. :nod:
come on, we're talking tabletop RP, of course in-jokes known only to about 5 or 6 people on the planet are going to show up...

We really need to tell that story sometime.

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
How narcissistic am I that I thought this was just a troll job on me...only to see the vintage gamers come out of the woodwork. Awesome!

Reactions: LCPreds

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Never played it and have no idea how it’s played. I have always been curious about how to play it along with Magic the Gathering. FYI I have heard these games are popular in prison so they are not just for the typical Nerd.

Reactions: Roman Yoshi

BigFatCat999

Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
D&D is fun in character generation. The camaraderie, the jokes, the imagination activation. Learning rolling a 1 means screaming 'f***', rolling a 20 can be fun with an experienced GM and when I Run the game I use all 5 years of my experience in anatomy and physiology. When you hit, it's like you are Satisma in 'One Punch Man.' Gibblets EVERYWHERE

Reactions: Roman Yoshi

predwings

Jan 26, 2011
Nashville TN
D&D is fun in character generation. The camaraderie, the jokes, the imagination activation. Learning rolling a 1 means screaming '****', rolling a 20 can be fun with an experienced GM and when I Run the game I use all 5 years of my experience in anatomy and physiology. When you hit, it's like you are Satisma in 'One Punch Man.' Gibblets EVERYWHERE
Depends on which edition 2nd lower numbers are better for checks

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
D&D is fun in character generation. The camaraderie, the jokes, the imagination activation. Learning rolling a 1 means screaming '****', rolling a 20 can be fun with an experienced GM and when I Run the game I use all 5 years of my experience in anatomy and physiology. When you hit, it's like you are Satisma in 'One Punch Man.' Gibblets EVERYWHERE

This made me laugh a lot harder than it should.

It really is a fun game though people don't realize that it's much more like Whose Line is it Any Way meets Game of Thrones.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
i had no clue so many nerds were on these boards...

upload_2019-7-9_7-31-24.jpeg

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Started on D&D but moved on to PC MMORPG's in my early 20's. Played Star Wars Galaxies for 3 years ( where I met my wife) and then spent most of the last 14 playing World of Warcraft. Quit recently though and have gone back to SWG on an emulated server.

WoW Classic comes out at the end of August so I'll probably be bouncing back into it.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Ok, so thanks to this thread I just ordered 5e and we'll see if I can get the kids to put at least part of their summer into trying this with me as DM. It might be a bust. No idea. It might be unfair to even think they could get into it. But worth a try and the starter kit was only like $15. :crossfing

hockey diva

RIP Pred303
Sponsor
May 17, 2010
Beleriand
Glad you are enjoying it Yoshi! Looking forward to our next session. We recently added someone to the group. We didn’t really have a straight magic user. Our party now has a Druid.

Bama, tell them they are working on their acting skills in a choose your own adventure series. Make the story interesting and don’t stress the mechanics too much. They either get hooked or not.

Reactions: NNCbama

predwings

Jan 26, 2011
Nashville TN
Books - The Trove

This is for those that aren’t like me and have scoured the internet for versions of books that are too pricy or don’t exist The Trove has ebooks basically in pdf format for almost any type of game organized by their editions and all.

BigFatCat999

Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
I can't believe how rewarding being a DM feels

My favorite campaign was a fantasy transcontinental railroad. The player have to player two different characters. One from the north and one from the south. They have two create two different characters. One for each team. And their characters MUST but different from the other. One week TEAM A adventure. next week TEAM B.

Kebs

Def not just a zombie tiger typing
Aug 21, 2009
Nashville, TN
We are starting a campaign at work during lunch breaks. It will be my first stab at DM'ing.

Other D&D podcast recommendations: Not Another D&D Podcast (NADDPod!!) and Dungeons and Daddies (Not a BDSM pdocast) is pretty decent. I have bomBARDed in my list but haven't listened to it yet, but a interesting concept of an all bard crew.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Bama, tell them they are working on their acting skills in a choose your own adventure series. Make the story interesting and don’t stress the mechanics too much. They either get hooked or not.
I expect we'll just start with the canned starter kit campaign - but let them do their own characters not used the canned ones. I figure if we can get through that and they still want more, that's a win! Longer term if even one of them then goes off and grabs their friends and carries the torch forward on their own, that's gonna be the ultimate victory.
:win:

BigFatCat999

Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
We are starting a campaign at work during lunch breaks. It will be my first stab at DM'ing.

Other D&D podcast recommendations: Not Another D&D Podcast (NADDPod!!) and Dungeons and Daddies (Not a BDSM pdocast) is pretty decent. I have bomBARDed in my list but haven't listened to it yet, but a interesting concept of an all bard crew.

On the YouTube front im listening to jocat’s crap guide to D&D and Puffin Forest.

Reactions: Kebs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad