Raleigh and the Triangle - A Visitor's and Local's Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluedevil58*

Reminds me of a dog I used to see in Breckinridge development in Morrisville. Thing was huge. Bigger than me.

Yeah man. She is almost 2 and I am conditioning her to run. A lot of people think these dogs are lazy and couch potatoes which they are. But they are also former hunting dogs and were used to guard kings in england as well as hunt boar. When I run 3 miles with her daily she has a slight fast walk as if it is nothing and when I finish running and am on cool down she runs circles around me growling telling me to run more. Thanks Dave. We will have to look at Gizmos. I have never heard of this place.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Cool. I've been meaning to get up there for a while so now have even more reason. Wanting to try the Stout so I'll have to pick a Thursday or Friday and make it up there.

What (if any) seasonals do you have right now?

When I went up last week to celebrate the wife's new job the full lineup was (and I may be leaving one or two off here)

Bee Keeper Honey Wheat
Palisade Wasp IPA
Black Stiletto Stout
Hoppy Grounds Coffee Pale Ale (Seasonal)
Black Hop Down India Black Ale (Seasonal)
Golden Ale-ement Ale
Arachibutyrophobia Peanut Butter Brown Ale
Enigma Weizenbock
Prototype Pale Ale #1

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
When I went up last week to celebrate the wife's new job the full lineup was (and I may be leaving one or two off here)

Bee Keeper Honey Wheat
Palisade Wasp IPA
Black Stiletto Stout
Hoppy Grounds Coffee Pale Ale (Seasonal)
Black Hop Down India Black Ale (Seasonal)
Golden Ale-ement Ale
Arachibutyrophobia Peanut Butter Brown Ale
Enigma Weizenbock
Prototype Pale Ale #1

Thanks. The Stout, Coffee pale ale and india black ale all ones I'd like to try.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
ZBNTo5w.jpg

Anytime he's mentioned, I feel the need to post this.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Any bars near the Hawthorne Suites hotel in Raleigh that Ms. Savant would like (not a full on sports bar)

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Any bars near the Hawthorne Suites hotel in Raleigh that Ms. Savant would like (not a full on sports bar)

I think this is the one really near Cary/Raleigh off Buck-Jones? If so, it's in an area referred to as "Cross-roads". Close by in the crossroads area, there are a number of the more chain type of bars like Wild Wings Cafe, Carolina Ale House, Ruby Tuesday, etc.. as well as a few restaurants which also have bars. It really depends on how far you want to drive though.

But, at that location, you are only ~10 miles (15 min) from downtown Raleigh were there are a bunch of choices, too many to list.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC

How's Ms. Savant for wine? There's a winery not that far away called Chatham Hill. While they don't grow grapes on the property (they source from vintners in the Yadkin AVA in the NC Piedmont) their wines aren't bad. Last time we went they also had some beers on tap.

Unfortunately that's all that springs to mind in that part of Cary that's not a full on sports bar. There's alsoCarolina Ale House but it'd be a bit too far into sports bar territory, I think.

blokeyhighlander

June = :cupnana:
Oct 9, 2009
NC
Anyone commute to downtown from Clayton? I'm moving to the area and my wife may end up working in Johnston. Some threads online indicated that 40 was bad in the morning, but I wasn't sure how traffic is on the back roads. There's some nice new home developments and the schools are good there, so I'm willing to deal with a little bit of a commute, but nothing crazy.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
depends on where you're looking to work. 40's a ****in mess at times but it's no worse in the Triangle then any other major or mid sized city. Hell in comparison to Charlotte it's not bad at all and compared to some of the other places I've lived or spent a lot of time (Boston, Atlanta) it's ****ing idyllic by comparison.

blokeyhighlander

June = :cupnana:
Oct 9, 2009
NC
Yeah, it's definitely better than many places. I'm also spoiled and have an 8 minute commute in SC, which of course was too good to last. Google maps was saying about 30-35 minutes using back roads and 64. Was hoping that's actually that and not 45-60 minutes in traffic.

Finnish Jerk Train

lol stupid mickey mouse organization
Apr 7, 2008
Raleigh
Funny this came up. Yesterday the fiancee heard about an upcoming job opening in her field at a school in Clayton, which sounded really appealing to her. She teaches an elective and took the program from <30 students to about 115 at her current school. This one has 250+.

She probably won't pursue it because she's also running a side gig in Wake Forest, but if she did, I could be talked into moving down to around Lake Wheeler. Land is a lot cheaper down there than in north Raleigh and Wake Forest, but it won't be that way forever. It's going to fill in fast once 540 gets finished and opens up new possibilities for everyone going to RTP, which is going to continue to grow. Granted, we're still several years away from seeing all that, but that just means now is the time to get in.

Last edited:

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
She probably won't pursue it because she's also running a side gig in Wake Forest, but if she did, I could be talked into moving down to around Lake Wheeler. Land is a lot cheaper down there than in north Raleigh and Wake Forest, but it won't be that way forever. It's going to fill in fast once 540 gets finished and opens up new possibilities for everyone going to RTP, which is going to continue to grow. Granted, we're still several years away from seeing all that, but that just means now is the time to get in.

I wouldn't bet on it, but I guess it depends on how much land you are looking for..and it is all relative. I've found the land from Lake Wheeler south to ten-ten (and even beyond) all the way over to Apex and even down towards Holly springs is just as darned expensive now as up by North Raleigh / Wake Forest. My wife and I have been doing a lot of looking and there just isn't anything 5+ Acres out there at a reasonable price (unless the lot has warts like power lines right through it or 540 planned to go right through it, etc....). It doesn't really get much less expensive until you hit south of Fuquay/Holly Spings out by Harris Lake on the South side, out by Zebulon on the west side and up towards Louisburg/Creedmore on the north side, and then way out towards Chatam county on the west side.

Last edited:

Finnish Jerk Train

lol stupid mickey mouse organization
Apr 7, 2008
Raleigh
I wouldn't bet on it, but I guess it depends on how much land you are looking for..and it is all relative. I've found the land from Lake Wheeler south to ten-ten (and even beyond) all the way over to Apex and even down towards Holly springs is just as darned expensive now as up by North Raleigh / Wake Forest. My wife and I have been doing a lot of looking and there just isn't anything 5+ Acres out there at a reasonable price (unless the lot has warts like power lines right through it or 540 planned to go right through it, etc....). It doesn't really get much less expensive until you hit south of Fuquay/Holly Spings out by Harris Lake on the South side, out by Zebulon on the west side and up towards Louisburg/Creedmore on the north side, and then way out towards Chatam county on the west side.

That's interesting. Then again, I was looking at smaller plots; to build on, I'd want at least 1 acre (I'd go smaller in a pre-built neighborhood, maybe 1/2), but I'd probably be priced out of 5 pretty much anywhere. While there's not much between 540 and Falls Lake, it doesn't look like there's anything available for less than $200k. Meanwhile, on the south side of town, there are a lot of listings under $100k. Right now, there's an acre on Lake Wheeler that's only asking $79k. The closer you get to Garner, the cheaper they are. Of course, those are potentially in the path of 540, which is probably keeping their value low until that's sorted out.

Granted, I haven't actually been out to any of these except for a couple of places near Wake Forest, but that's at least how I formed the impression I'm under.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
That's interesting. Then again, I was looking at smaller plots; to build on, I'd want at least 1 acre (I'd go smaller in a pre-built neighborhood, maybe 1/2), but I'd probably be priced out of 5 pretty much anywhere. While there's not much between 540 and Falls Lake, it doesn't look like there's anything available for less than $200k. Meanwhile, on the south side of town, there are a lot of listings under $100k. Right now, there's an acre on Lake Wheeler that's only asking $79k. The closer you get to Garner, the cheaper they are. Of course, those are potentially in the path of 540, which is probably keeping their value low until that's sorted out.

Granted, I haven't actually been out to any of these except for a couple of places near Wake Forest, but that's at least how I formed the impression I'm under.

Makes sense as North Raleigh is a bit more developed. I did a quick search though, and here's one in North Raleigh near Leesville Road that is 2 acre's for$70,000.
http://www.fmrealty.com/real-estate...Desc&pageSize=20&page=1&displayPhoto=exterior

And another one just outside of 540 by towards Roseville (there's actually a few in that area) for a similar price.
http://www.fmrealty.com/real-estate...Desc&pageSize=20&page=1&displayPhoto=exterior

And another in Wake Forest:

There were more as well, but of course, who knows if those are any good. :laugh:

Overall, I think you are right though. 1) If you are in the ~1 Acre range you may have a lot more options (as a lot of neighborhoods have them in that range) and a better price point. 2) North Raleigh to Wake Forest is a bit more developed than some of the outlying areas, whether that be south of Raleigh towards (and beyond) Garner / Fuquay, north toward Creedmore or East toward Zebulon.

As I said, we've been looking for 5+ acres, and every single time I looked up a lot that looked like it was a good price, it was full of warts. 2 were literally right where 540 was going. 1 had huge power lines next to it. 1 had half the lot in a flood plain, etc...etc... We are keeping our eyes open, but are kinda resigned to the fact that if we do buy one, it will likely be further out than we wanted. Anyhow, good luck with your search. I'm sure you'll have better luck than we are having.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad