Rakell potentiel ?

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
He has top 6 potential for sure. Plays a great two-way game, has great hands, and is a pretty good playmaker. At worst, I think he's going to be a good 3C.

DaDucks*

I don't know
Seems like he's only been on the ice for a total of 5 minutes and 4 of the minutes he's spent pinned in our zone

Before everyone jumps down my throat, this is my way of saying its too early to tell.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I like him a lot, his upside is top 6 but i think hell end up a 3rd line specal teams player.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Still not a fan of trying to force ceiling-tags on 18-22 year olds. Just tends to be rendered irrelevant by reality over time.

I don't think skill would necessarily hold him back from being a top-6er, or even a good complementary player on a top line. We'll see. But it's great to have him. That trade down (22 to 30+39) and the way those picks were used (Rakell+Gibson) at this point looks like an outstanding move.

Cuthalu

Jan 21, 2013
Winland
If he has good work ethic for training he will be most certainly a top6 player. Completely on a different level than Bonino, Beleskey and DSP combined when it comes to hockey sense and flair. More strenght, speed and experience and hes pure gold. :nod:

Feb 9, 2010
Arrowhead Pond
I was at a Plymouth Whalers game earlier this week and was disappointed that I couldn't see him live, although the reason for him not being there was pretty great as well. I think his upside is that he has enough tools to become what he wants to be, to an extent.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Yeah, I don't think you can ever expect a kid at that age expect to become as good defensively as a guy that was elite in his prime in that regard, but in terms of offensive tools, Rakell has a lot more upside than Pahlsson.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Yeah, I don't think you can ever expect a kid at that age expect to become as good defensively as a guy that was elite in his prime in that regard, but in terms of offensive tools, Rakell has a lot more upside than Pahlsson.

Without question, and he even showed some of that offensive upside in his first two games on the 4th line, which is pretty impressive for a 19 year old in his first games. Defensively, I agree. I would project Rakell to be one of the better defensive players on his team and someone we'd expect to get PK time, but Pahlsson, at his best, was an elite defensive player. Let's not forget he could(and perhaps should) have won the Selke in 2007, and he was doing that without particularly good offensive numbers(which is often seen as a requirement for the Selke).

eenok*

Perhaps we'll get a first look at his 2C potential if he gets to play with Bobby and Teemu vs Canucks tonight.

rakell is nowhere near koivu-class . would be rude to send up this boy into 2nd line while having koivu, the master in 3rd

EENOK/IL, Finland

OCSportsfan

Sep 30, 2011
Saw him live tonight.

Positives
He plays aggressive (Bonino could learn a bit watching)
Very confident/Comfortable playing at his age (Holland looked more nervous last night)
Very good handling the puck
Good in his own zone with the stick and not afraid to make a hit

Negative
Not a lot, did not notice too much in the offensive zone.
Probably needs to get more seasoning as a top line forward in juniors or AHL next year so he can play in all situations.
Was not very impressed with skating speed

He could develop into a 2C within 3-4 years, and should be an NHL player worst case by 2014-2015.

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
Saw him live tonight.

Positives
Very confident/Comfortable playing at his age (Holland looked more nervous last night)

Negative
Probably needs to get more seasoning as a top line forward in juniors or AHL next year so he can play in all situations.

He could develop into a 2C within 3-4 years, and should be an NHL player worst case by 2014-2015.

THIS X 1,000. Reminds me of when Fowler came up. Seemed almost overly confident with the puck at times. I love to see kids not handle pucks like grenades.

One negative I see with him, and this is to be expected due to his age, is that he seems weak. There were times when he used his body perfectly to shield the puck, but simply got pushed over and lost the puck. This will come with maturity obviously.

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
Yeah, Rakell is very confident with the puck and I really don't get worried when he handles it. Holland was nervous probably because he hasn't played in the NHL for over a year and hadn't played in an actual game for 2 weeks. If they can't find ways to get him in the lineup regularly, I'd like him to just centre the 1st line in Norfolk tbh.

Pahlsson26

Oct 17, 2011
His frame is weak, but he has potential to be super hard to knock off the puck

That, along with above-average vision and awareness is where Boudreau gets the Backstrom comps from.

Saw him live tonight.

Positives

Negative

Not sure if you're talking all-around or just in particular situations, but he has different gears. He's a fast skater, but not a player who will flat out hustle and lose position (a la DSP). His overall cautiousness helps his 3-zone game, it's just the way he plays. Does that a lot in Plymouth. But on the break - like you saw tonight - he can slip past a defenseman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad