OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: The Condemned of Altoona

Status
Not open for further replies.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Polanco played again. And sucked again. Guy is a bust. Don't worry he'll have to go hitless in the next 10 games to get benched for for than 1. All this is doing is taking his already very average value and tanking it even further. IF you can trade him it will be for next to nothing because of the term on his contract. Double whammy for the Pirates. But that's what you get when you sign non proven guys to 7 year f***ing extensions.

I've been on repeat about his swing. It's pretty to the average fan, but anyone that has played baseball at a meaningful level (college or above) can see it's incredibly long and full of holes. The longer a swing the more room for error. It's not rocket science. And I've seen nothing to indicate the Pirates OR Polanco have tried to overhaul it. And of course we're now seeing, when the going gets tough, he is a lazy P.O.S.

Every time Taillon pitches i want him to do well. I just don't see it. He flashes it, yes. But he's simply not a top 2 pitcher in the league. He doesn't have the consistency for it. His stuff is the weakest of the big pitching prospects we've had up since Cole. I don't mean weak in the sense that it's not starting material. I mean pinning hopes on him to be your ace was a fool's errand. He lost A LOT of growing period due to injuries and then cancer. That mattered.

I saw Keller pitch live the other night btw. Got rocked pretty good by Harrisburg. Kid is experience the difficulties of the A+ to AA jump. Walks are way up and he's getting tagged more often. I'd say he's got Taillon type stuff (give or take a tad), which is great for a 2nd round pick. I still have hopes he can be a good 2-3. His control was always great. How he responds the 2nd half of the year in Altoona will be big. You can see the talent, you just hope he's got a good head on his shoulders.

Meadows is certainly surprising me and I think everyone to one degree or another. It's early but he looks like a f***ing stud. Crazy because you never saw a ton of that in his minor league career. Still far to early to say he's going to be a franchise player but he's certainly keeping me entertained. Sucks the moment he came up the wheels started to come off this team, but I've been saying it since spring training. It's not a good ball club, managed by a dolt. We're lucky we're not 5-10 games under already.

I want a full rebuild but I want somebody other than Huntington and Hurdle doing it. Huntington gave us his timeline to fix the club. He certainly helped get the team to the postseason a few times but his time is up now. I'm sorry but his decisions of late are really lacking and quite frankly it's time to evoke change.

I've never really cared for Hurdle. Far more so than Huntington. He's been given more rope than I would have given Neal.

We need to fire both and start over. There are still very valuable pieces to center around but I just think it has to be a new GM and manager/coaching staff. And frankly the entire mindset of the Pirates org. needs to change in terms of player development. We are probably the slowest org. in terms of moving high end prospects along. It's asinine.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Cubs have a bullpen day today with Montgomery, and then Lester tomorrow. Would be a good time for S-Rod to get hot at the plate, and we need Josh Bell to be some kind of useful piece. Polanco's struggles have rightly gotten a lot of attention, but he's been almost as weak in a key part of the order.

Like always when this team struggles, today feels like a bit of a possible beginning of the end, but it's worth keeping in perspective the situation throughout the entire NL right now.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
The Cubs had a Sunday night baseball game last night, game ended around midnight.

They probably didn't get to Pittsburgh til around 3 am.

You would think that would help the Bucs today.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I don't think it makes much sense to say that they've played above their heads. We are a streaky-ish team that is largely driven by offense, but on the whole, we're about a .500 team. Is 8-9 games above .500 above this team's head? Maybe a bit, but they are right in the mix with about 10 teams who all have their weaknesses.

I liked what I saw from Taillon yesterday, debates over whether Hurdle made the right call and so on bracketed. He has the slider really working as a weapon, and even that early run on Ozuna's hit was just luck, based on terrible contact on the slider. Hopefully it's a building block to use going forward. If he can keep that pitch as it is and also get his curveball back to where it should be, he'll be a very effective front end starter.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Offense does not look good, and I can't imagine Kuhl will just keep putting up 0s. Not the game we need, especially from guys like Marte, Harrison, and Freese. Next time through the order, we need to make Montgomery work and get a mistake pitch with guys on base. This is a very winnable game from a pitching matchup standpoint, but one thing we also revert to when the troubles flare up is our habit of turning journeymen into Max Scherzers.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
Kuhl is all over the place right now.

Edit: so is Dickerson, in a good way.

This part of the Cubs' order is a game-breaking hr waiting to happen.

Last edited:

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Luckily Kuhl's pitches being nowhere near the strike zone is a perfect approach to getting Baez out. Feels lucky to be 1-0 at this point. Hopefully Kuhl can settle down for the bottom of the order, but I am not hoping to see him face Bryant and Rizzo a third time, even if that means he just gets 4.2 innings or something. Gonna have to pitch to the situation... but might as well use somebody like Rodriguez.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
I really don't understand why pitchers even bother throwing strikes to Baez. 2 un-intentional walks all year?

He's gonna swing 3 times before you can throw 4 balls even if you don't hit the zone once.

Reactions: DJ Spinoza

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
I think Bell's problems are being exaggerated a bit, and I think it's because of his lack of power. For may he's slashing .286/.374/.867. I'm not sure why he's seemingly lost his power but he's not struggling at the plate anywhere near Polanco.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
That's ball game.

Polanco is now worth NEGATIVE 0.4 WAR. Ranks 62nd out of a possible 66 qualifed OF's.

Josh Bell is worth NEGATIVE 0.1 WAR

Amazing that 2 "middle of the order" bats can be that putrid, combined.

And you wonder why this team sucks?

bingobangobongo

Jun 14, 2010
This is an alarming game. No-show a home game against a tired team 24 hour after losing in the late innings. Shoulda been hungry to play.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
If anything, it's probably best that that call went against us, since it adds to the embarassment of this game and hopefully lights a fire for tomorrow. We need to win this series or we're going to be just slightly out of reach in the division race going forward, barring some kind of huge success in St. Louis next weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad