OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: The Condemned of Altoona

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Evidently Meadows bruised his foot Sunday and was unavailable last night, even off the bench. Regardless, Dickerson is the next OF due for a day down in the rotation.

The Cubs just blew their lead to the Dodgers in game 1 of a doubleheader with 2 outs in the 9th, for some reason with our old friend Justin Wilson on the mound. Things like this aligning with us playing the Brewers and the Cardinals having the not-easy matchup with the Phillies make for a prime opportunity to gain back a lot of ground in no time. Gotta find a way to win tonight.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Yep, and another big opportunity for Taillon to step into the role as leader of the team. Peralta has a lot of talent, but very little experience. He had a stellar debut and a so-so follow up, but doesn't seem to be the kind of pitcher that will go deep in games. Before the news about Meadows injury came out, I saw a lot of speculation about Peralta's breaking stuff to lefties and Meadows generally whiffing more on those pitches over the last two weeks. It will be important to have good at bats against him tonight and force him to throw a lot of pitches.

Chacin might be easy to overlook as a solid depth pitcher, but he's no worldbeater and the offense didn't look particularly good last night.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Slider is a serious work in progress for Taillon. Threw a beautiful one to get Yelich out, then piped one middle middle. Can't be catching that much plate with Aguilar. Hope we brought the bats tonight.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Slider is a serious work in progress for Taillon. Threw a beautiful one to get Yelich out, then piped one middle middle. Can't be catching that much plate with Aguilar. Hope we brought the bats tonight.

And that's precisely why he's not a top 2 MLB starter in a rotation that wants to complete. Consistency.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Meh, I think it's still worth keeping in mind Taillon's age/experience. The slider is a work in progress, not a disaster pitch. If he can master it, he's going to be able to consistently be at the next level with the slight weakspot on his resume, which is strikeouts.

It's also only the second inning. If he gives up three more runs, sure, this is a bad start. But he made a mistake pitch against a good hitter and he paid for it. Frustrating, especially with the opportunity that's lingering in the air, but probably good to keep some perspective.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Peralta is dominating. Especially bad at-bats from Polanco and Mercer. Doesn't look like a win will even be possible tonight. Taillon has to be perfect the rest of the way and we can't squander any opportunity.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Why swing on 3-0?

Bell is obviously a poor batter but that inning was Cervelli's fault. Man on first and second and you have a chance to load the bases and put pressure on the rookie...swings at 3-0, which wasnt even right down the middle. Of course leads to a horrible (expected) at bat from Bell. But had a chance to load them up if Cervelli didnt do that.

Last edited:

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Overall a pretty mediocre start from Taillon, but he was also the victim of some pretty lucky hits for the Brewers. Couple bounces go differently, then I think he easily puts up 6 IP, 2 R. I like seeing the Ks up there. He's gotta be better and can't make that mistake to Aguilar, but that was really the only bad thing tonight.

Gotta do something here. This guy has been pretty wild, but with Harrison, Dickerson, and Marte coming up, I don't like our chances. We need to force some walks and either make him make a mistake pitch and crush it, or else let Cousel pull him.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
11 ks by our pitching. They did their job.

Pirates continue to fail to get both the bats and pitching on the same page. As soon as we start letting up 8 runs a game again, the Pirates will score 7.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Yeah, between that and the really bad effort from Cervelli earlier, just not our night on offense. Still three innings left, and we're at least within striking distance at least. Strong two innings from Glasnow.

Reactions: JimmyTwoTimes

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Hurdle using Glasnow again when the team is down by 3 runs.

I don't really get this criticism here. The Brewers bullpen has been pretty weak lately and there's still roughly half the game to go when he comes in. It's not quite the same as mopup duty. What's the alternative? Dedicated relievers for the 7th, 8th, and 9th innings?

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
I don't really get this criticism here. The Brewers bullpen has been pretty weak lately and there's still roughly half the game to go when he comes in. It's not quite the same as mopup duty. What's the alternative? Dedicated relievers for the 7th, 8th, and 9th innings?

I'd use anybody else in that bullpen besides Vazquez and Crick.

And to be honest i actually have more confidence in Glasnow now then i do Vazquez.

Glasnow should be used as a reliever to protect a lead IMO.

Not a reliever to give you some innings when your down big in the game.

Reactions: DJ Spinoza

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
One of Glasnow's best efforts of the year. If he can only build on his control a bit I think he'd make for a nasty 8th inning option long term (don't think he has the right mentality for a closer). I don't think he's going to ever have enough control to be a great starter in the bigs, but there is still hope for him making it as a 2-3. He's cut his walk rate to 4.4/9 on the year. Obviously the K's are fantastic. But doing those types of things as a starter is different than mop up duty or games when you're already down 3-4 runs. He's not been in a ton of higher pressure situations this year, which is the right thing for him. If he continues to show well in the current role I definitely think he needs another legit crack at the rotation next year. If that doesn't work, he'll be a pen guy full time.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Two great at bats for Bell and Polanco. But with 2 outs..and now Mercer is up.

Easy out.

Lol that worked...but would have been nice to get 2 there.

Meadows beat. Damn. Had a great chance that inning. Have to give credit to Bell and Polanco. And Mercer for driving one in.

Last edited:

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I'd use anybody else in that bullpen besides Vazquez and Crick.

And to be honest i actually have more confidence in Glasnow now then i do Vazquez.

Glasnow should be used as a reliever to protect a lead IMO.

Not a reliever to give you some innings when your down big in the game.

Fair enough - I don't totally disagree with you, but I think it's fine to get a couple innings out of him when the score is close. Three runs is about the upper limit of that, especially with 3-4 innings left in the game. I don't think he should be used as a dedicated 8th inning guy or anything like that, and I'm hoping Hurdle has moved away from that kind of mentality.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Really need to start making noise before there are two outs.

Horrible game from Cervelli. This game could be tied at least if he was himself tonight. Just cant get everyone on the same page. On days where he will have multiple hits..nobody else will do anything.

This has to stop asap if this team is gonna go on a run. Or else theyll stay right around .500 or below.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I'd love to see a couple get on for Moran next inning. Need a quick 1, 2, 3 innng here. The momentum is definitely in our favor in this game, and we have the top of the order coming up, and maybe are beyond Jeffers. I imagine Hader might be back in there tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad