OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: New season of plundering begins

metalan2

May 30, 2008
Would love a double play ball from Rowdy right about now. Of course he'll strike out or line into a dp.

Edit: A strikeout. Not even sure why he was allowed to bat.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Let's hope that weak sauce after having 1st and 3rd and no outs, doesn't come back to bite us.

metalan2

May 30, 2008
Rowdy is the worst of them, but this is the worst team in major league baseball with risp, so this is all expected. 3 innings with 2 guys on and zero outs that produce zero runs. That's very, very hard to do, but is expected with this horrific offense.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
One of the Pirates beat writers was asked why Tellez was still on the team? His take was that the FO brought him in, and immediately established him as one of the team leaders. And they don't want to look bad to the rest of the team getting rid of someone like that so early.

I know......I know. Sounds ridiculous, but sounds very Pirates-esque.

They also mentioned, they still won't tell us how long Derek Shelton is signed for.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I will be critical of Shelton if Bednar blows this.

Chapman is the better option. He obliterated the Cubs in the 8th. Just send him back out.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
One of the Pirates beat writers was asked why Tellez was still on the team? His take was that the FO brought him in, and immediately established him as one of the team leaders. And they don't want to look bad to the rest of the team getting rid of someone like that so early.

I know......I know. Sounds ridiculous, but sounds very Pirates-esque.

They also mentioned, they still won't tell us how long Derek Shelton is signed for.

The bizarre thing is that they can just let him ride the bench if they want to keep him for "leadership". Just have Joe as the everyday 1B and rarely play Tellez.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
When healthy:

1. McCutchen (DH)
2. Hayes (3B)
3. Reynolds (LF)
4. Cruz (SS)
5. Gonzales (2B)
6. Joe (1B)
7. Olivares/Suwinski (RF)
8. Taylor/Suwinski (CF)
9. Grandal/Bart (C)

I don't see why they can't just run with this lineup every day. Like there are the pieces here to make an effective hitting lineup, Shelton needs to just stop making dumb decisions like playing Tellez.

If you're playing against a lefty, either bump Cruz down a bit in the lineup or swap him out for Williams or Triolo (Gonzales at SS if Triolo is playing) and put them at the bottom of the order.

metalan2

May 30, 2008
Have yet to see a 123 inning from Bednar this season. I've also haven't seen a caught stealing yet this season.

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
raise it5.gif

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't think I've soured on anyone on this team as much as I've soured on Bednar. I flat out have no confidence in him and just want to see him moved.

Hell of a series win, though. Keller returning to form and Gonzales establishing himself has been terrific for this team.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Stress free just like everyone thought lol

On a more serious note, I think I saw RTJR say this on twitter, but setting aside our frustrations with the offense and various particular things, what did stand out in all these games against the Brewers and the Cubs is that the Pirates looked perfectly comfortable and equivalent to them.

Although all the losing makes it feel like everything is magnified, I think this is a good point, and that we are more than capable of hanging around with them. Granted, they have some decent injuries in Hoskins and Swanson, but the games didn't really feel like we were outmatched in any way. We have the starting pitching to avoid big slides, and I truly do not think anybody is running away with this division.

We'll see what happens, as we are going to have some tough stretches of games on the horizon and I think it's hard to imagine being better than 5 or 6 games behind about a month from now, but this was a solid enough stretch of games for us, and let's hope we can carry the momentum forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad