OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: New season of plundering begins

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I dunno, I think this is a tough call. A guy like Holderman needs to be able to come in and get one out no matter what. Falter has not been getting strikeouts at all. I wouldn't have hated trusting him, but I think the game situation dictates going with one of your best relievers.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Absurd performance by Falter.

I like the Pirates 4D chess in getting dominated by Imanaga, to ensure that neither Skenes nor Jones finishes top 2 in ROY. I do think they were close to getting him, which would have been amazing. Could you imagine Imanaga in this rotation? Holy.

Honestly they don't even need him at this point. I'd rather have that extra money towards a bat.

And yes, I unironically thought the bolded about Imagana's performance today.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The Cubs are getting absolute horseshit calls this entire series. Holderman's ball 4 would have been called a strike 3 had the Cubs been pitching.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Second time in the game that the umpire's brutally horrid call is punished by the baseball gods granting us the outs we deserve.

The pitch he called ball 4 to Busch to load the bases was a strike in the very next pitch to the righty Wisdom.

I truly hate the idea of robot umps but I will relish when they finally arrive if only out of pure and total spite for MLB umpires.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Kinda surprised they aren't pinch hitting Cruz here. Olivares doesn't have the reps against righties.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
If this ends up a loss, it will be a pretty frustrating one, but any sane person would take a coin flip in a Falter vs. Imanaga matchup.

metalan2

May 30, 2008
Would have left Holderman in for the 9th. No one to pitch the 10th, something they'll need to win. I mean, I guess Chapman but...

And Holderman is pitching a lot better than Bednar.
There is no chance Bednar gets out of this inning without giving up a run.

There was zero reason to use Holderman for one out.

• Wow
Reactions: GilbertSeinfeld

GilbertSeinfeld

Mar 4, 2024
I do not understand pulling Falter after 7.2 innings if you were only going to use Holderman for 1 out.
20200414mfbucssports03-1-1588621869.jpg

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The Pirates are going to challenge that but it doesn't matter because Bart dropped the ball on the tag.

Actually wait, I think that should be an out. Bart dropped it when he transferred it to his other hand, it wasn't knocked out of the glove.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
An absurdity. Absolutely ridiculous.

But David Bednar's fastball was once again the biggest liability the Pirates pitching staff had. And Taylor is too shitty offensively to not throw a strike there. It can't be 6 feet off line.

Oh well, score 5 runs tomorrow.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Fitting way to lose. He was clearly out, but there's no sense crying over a game that was a tough one to begin with. The same wind that hurt Gonzales' good swings is probably the reason Falter was able to be so effective.

The opportunity is there to convert a series win tomorrow with Keller on the mound. Taillon's been hittable but still very effective.

Reactions: ChaosAgent

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
My trust index in Bednar is at a low. Quite simply a 97 mph right-handed 4 seam fastball with little/no movement from a conventional arm angle is hittable these days. Now that his mystic intimidation factor is over I think he's our 4th best reliever.

I don't want to hear any BS like "he's hurt" also. His fastball never had a right to be as effective as it was. Regression caught up to that pitch.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad