OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: New season of plundering begins

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Yeah, there is no way that the human eye can be 100% accurate on balls and strikes. Those missed calls are so borderline, it's hard to fault the umps. They aren't awful because they suck at their job, but because it's a ridiculously hard job to do. (not saying you're claiming that.) Can't wait for the robo calls of ball and strikes. But until then, the human element is going to be a factor, like it always has been.

Reactions: WickedWrister

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
Yeah, there is no way that the human eye can be 100% accurate on balls and strikes. Those missed calls are so borderline, it's hard to fault the umps. They aren't awful because they suck at their job, but because it's a ridiculously hard job to do. (not saying you're claiming that.) Can't wait for the robo calls of ball and strikes. But until then, the human element is going to be a factor, like it always has been.
Yeah it's unreasonable to expect men of retirement age (or really any age) to be able to accurately judge where a ball traveling 90+ mph with movement crossed an imaginary strike zone. Still, Guccione was worse than most at it yesterday.

As a casual fan, the lack of ABS/Robo Umps is the most frustrating thing about watching the sport.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
93% seems reasonable. Especially with how close to the zone most misses were.

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Here's a tweet mentioning what Passan said. Like I said last night, I don't expect him to be up in May but it wouldn't be that surprising for me to see him up then.

The big thing I think they need to do is stagger when Jones and Skenes will be in AAA. Both will need to go down at some point this year due to inning limits, they just need to make sure that both aren't down at the same time. You ideally have both at about 150 IP this year, which corresponds to about 25-28 starts between AAA and the MLB. Ideally both are up in August and September, but they need to make sure at least one of them is up before August.

With Skenes, what I'd try to do is:

-Have him pitch 5-7 starts in AAA in April, then call him up in early-May
-Have him pitch 10 starts in the MLB, likely from early-May to early-July
-Send him back down for a month to give him some rest and keep his inning count down, likely from early-July to early-August
-Call him up full-time after early-August until the season ends

This is likely enough to also have him not meet the Super-2 service requirement, because he'd have 2+ months in AAA between March, April and July. In total, this would be something like 20 MLB starts and 6 AAA starts for Skenes this year.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003

I like this look. I was also a little worried that we might drop "rest" Davis after a tough day at the plate and a long game catching, but I think rolling with Olivares and sliding Joe to 1B is the best approach.

Davis also strikes me as the kind of guy who will step up and win a game for you the day after struggling so much.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013

Seems so. I am very curious who the PTBNL is, because sending SP depth, even if it's a who knows what we'll get situation, doesn't seem like a great idea.

Yeah, very odd timing as well. Its not like we need to create a roster spot or anything.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Brubaker is making over 2M, so it might be a cost cutting measure, especially if they don't think he'll really be a starter again. I would still imagine that the Yankees PTBNL will be someone with a little bit of upside, at least a dart throw 40/45 FV guy on a list.

Edit: we are sending international cap space, so I would hope it's a real prospect of some sort and not just a salary dump.

Last edited:
Reactions: DaveG

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013

I like this look. I was also a little worried that we might drop "rest" Davis after a tough day at the plate and a long game catching, but I think rolling with Olivares and sliding Joe to 1B is the best approach.

Davis also strikes me as the kind of guy who will step up and win a game for you the day after struggling so much.

I guess salary makes the most sense. I cant think of anything else that would create any urgency for either side to be pushing a deal along.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
My guess is that they're getting back a 2023 drafted prospect that the Pirates like and it will be announced in June.

That is my hope. Giving away Brubaker seems wasteful otherwise. It isn't like they didn't know about his injury when they signed him.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Yeah, 500K of international space too, which is a sizeable amount. It better be something decent, since otherwise chucking a potential rotation shot in the arm to save 2 million bucks is ridiculous. Even if he would just be in the bullpen, worth a shot. If the logic is to trade for something you can get now, it's more plausible, but hard to say more until we know.

I'll be curious if the Pirates can work counts and get Puk's pitch count up tonight. He was outstanding in the spring, but the Marlins have a lot of pitching injuries so far and I bet they will want to be conservative with him in terms of not pushing the pitch count too high. If spots #1-4 in the order do well to see a lot of pitches and we don't have guys in spots #5-9 running into bad pitches and giving easy outs, then maybe we can get him out of the game before the 6th inning.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
My guess is that they're getting back a 2023 drafted prospect that the Pirates like and it will be announced in June.

I though drafted prospects could be traded 6 months post draft? Did this change?

Yeah, 500K of international space too, which is a sizeable amount. It better be something decent, since otherwise chucking a potential rotation shot in the arm to save 2 million bucks is ridiculous. Even if he would just be in the bullpen, worth a shot. If the logic is to trade for something you can get now, it's more plausible, but hard to say more until we know.

I'll be curious if the Pirates can work counts and get Puk's pitch count up tonight. He was outstanding in the spring, but the Marlins have a lot of pitching injuries so far and I bet they will want to be conservative with him in terms of not pushing the pitch count too high. If spots #1-4 in the order do well to see a lot of pitches and we don't have guys in spots #5-9 running into bad pitches and giving easy outs, then maybe we can get him out of the game before the 6th inning.
Yeah, if we can work abs and get back into their pen it could really pay dividends in game 3&4

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Solid enough. Cutch got a borderline call against him which helped the inning not spiral too bad for Puk. It's going to be hard to come by hits if this keeps up, so pushing his pitch count up will be very key.

Oftentimes with younger players, they can give the pitcher a jolt by getting those quick outs. With Puk up to 21 pitches, even just hanging a normal 15 pitches or so on him in the 2nd will help. Obviously it's easy to excessively focus on this, and the key thing that can extend innings is just getting someone on base, but I think if we can get him pushing 55 or so through three innings, we'll be in good shape to only see a 5 IP start.

Reactions: BusinessGoose

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
Solid enough. Cutch got a borderline call against him which helped the inning not spiral too bad for Puk. It's going to be hard to come by hits if this keeps up, so pushing his pitch count up will be very key.

Oftentimes with younger players, they can give the pitcher a jolt by getting those quick outs. With Puk up to 21 pitches, even just hanging a normal 15 pitches or so on him in the 2nd will help. Obviously it's easy to excessively focus on this, and the key thing that can extend innings is just getting someone on base, but I think if we can get him pushing 55 or so through three innings, we'll be in good shape to only see a 5 IP start.
Your strat is shaking him a bit right now

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Ok, nice to think about the pitch count skyrocketing, but now it's time to grab a lead and let Perez cook.

Give me a Cruz XBH and then let Triolo drop in a single for a nice 3-0 lead with no outs!

Bases loaded, no outs. We've seen this show before

Reactions: WheresRamziAbid

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad