Rage 2

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I suppose that it's time that I finally play the original.

I get the feeling that Mad Max: Fury Road being such a hit in theaters played a role in this sequel going forward.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005

It looks like a very different game than the original. The original was a shooter/RPG-lite hybrid with tons of minigames. This seems to drop the minigames and focus more on the shooter elements, probably to align the gameplay more with the new DOOM, which was very successful, from the same co-developer and with the same engine. The new open world and ability to jump into any vehicle is more like a Far Cry or Just Cause game, though, which is likely no coincidence, since the makers of the Just Cause series are co-developers with id on this.

I'm currently playing Rage for the first time. It's not bad, but it's frustrating how it teases you with what seems like a large world to explore when it's really a rather linear game. For example, you have to do a series of quests in one area before unlocking passage to a new area, and each quest has only one path, with annoying invisible walls everywhere to keep you on track. The first person combat is one of the things that the game gets right, but having each quest be so linear and scripted saps much of the fun out of it. The vehicular combat similarly feels scripted, since you can predict where and when you'll be ambushed by bandit vehicles, and way too arcadish in both maneuverability and how you don't even need to be directly facing enemy vehicles to shoot them; your guns will auto-aim at anything within almost a 180 degree arc in front of you (ugh). Finally, this is a PC-only rant, but the game UI is littered with controller icons even when you're using mouse and keyboard. It's always telling me to press the A, B, X and left/right toggle buttons to perform actions, and I have no idea what I'm actually supposed to press. I've played bad PC ports that still manage to have more useful onscreen help, and this game is from one of the oldest PC developers who used make games exclusively for keyboard and mouse :facepalm:.

Anyways, a lot of people are wondering why the mediocre first game is getting a sequel, but it looks like a lot of things that were disappointments in the original are being addressed, so much so that it seems like it's almost a different game. The original had a lot of promise, but was just executed poorly. This might be more of the game that the original should've been. We'll have to see.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad