Speculation: Raffi Watch - what game will be his first?

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
surprised I am saying this, but Brown has been pretty decent in his role and if Torres comes back, I can only see him taking Browns spot. Hoping not any of the others but, it will now give cause for the likes of Tierney to perform and play to his best. Although, in the "heavier" type games like against St. Louis and Anaheim and L.A., etc, we may see both Brown and Torres in the lineup.

p.s., I hope we have seen the last of Zubrus. What a waste of salary.

Give me Zubrus 100% of the time over Brown. I've been quite happy with his play as a 4th liner and PKer.

At some point this team has to get over the idea that they need players like Brown (or Haley) in the line up when they play those "big, mean" teams because they don't.

Anyway, in order for the Sharks to be able to add Torres to the active roster they have to lose a roster player. My hope is Torres just spends the rest of the season on LTIR but there are 3 skaters who are currently waiver exempt in Tierney, Donskoi & DeMelo.

Unless the org can find someone to take Smith off their hands (way easier said than done), are willing to waive him (not sure they are) or have another injury one of those guys could be sent to the AHL so Torres can be activated and neither should be.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
Zubrus has been put on IR retro to 1/7 (can come off tomorrow) which could be a precursor to activating Torres, who they have to open a roster spot for but he may very well go straight on IR or maybe LTIR if they're allowed to backdate it to his last surgery.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
And Torres has been added to the active roster...maybe the Sharks will give an update on his status sometime today or tomorrow as DeBoer already said he's not ready to play.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Now that Torres has done his time Ducks fans are mad and blame him for Silfverberg's crappy output. Hilarious. If Silf is hurt, shame on the Ducks staff for not taking care of it from the start.

Is it also Torres' fault they score less than 2 goals/gm?

jakeytown

Aug 10, 2011
El Paso TX
Now that Torres has done his time Ducks fans are mad and blame him for Silfverberg's crappy output. Hilarious. If Silf is hurt, shame on the Ducks staff for not taking care of it from the start.

Lol this is hilarious

Ninja Hertl

formerly sharkohol
Feb 25, 2006
The Yay

Haha, is that really happening? Talk about cognitive dissonance.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
Curtis Pashelka @CurtisPashelka
#SJSharks announce that Raffi Torres will be sent to @sjbarracuda on a conditioning assignment. 'Cuda play tonight in San Diego

Guess that answers that question.

It'll be interesting to see how many games they try to get him into.

sharski

Jun 4, 2012
i just don't see the point of bringing him back... everyone knows that whether it's after 1 game or 20 games, at some point he will throw a borderline hit, get a year-long suspension and effectively end his career

there is basically no way this ends well for anyone

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
i just don't see the point of bringing him back... everyone knows that whether it's after 1 game or 20 games, at some point he will throw a borderline hit, get a year-long suspension and effectively end his career

there is basically no way this ends well for anyone

So the sharks should just healthy scratch him for the rest of the year and just not worry about any upgrades to the team ( which if torres is a good little boy, he is a great upgrade to the bottom 6 which pushes 1 of zubrus or brown out of the line up )

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
If the sharks want to be nice, they don't risk Raffi losing any more of his salary and they don't play him any more.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
It is. Apparently it's Torres' fault that his may or may not have made Silf mentally fragile.

I was looking at some advanced stats stuff for silfverberg and it looks like he's killing it possession wise. CF% is at 56% right now but he just can't put up points. So he's doin okay if you ask me.

sharski

Jun 4, 2012
So the sharks should just healthy scratch him for the rest of the year and just not worry about any upgrades to the team ( which if torres is a good little boy, he is a great upgrade to the bottom 6 which pushes 1 of zubrus or brown out of the line up )

My expectations for him are basically zero at this point... I would love for him to come in and be a difference maker but I have no confidence that he'll be able to keep himself off the suspension list for very long

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
My expectations for him are basically zero at this point... I would love for him to come in and be a difference maker but I have no confidence that he'll be able to keep himself off the suspension list for very long

I would play him in every game that is known to carry goons and lots of them.

Just dress him, make the other team act irrational out of fear to dress a bunch of the goons just in case. And then don't even play him unless absolutely needed.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
I would play him in every game that is known to carry goons and lots of them.

Just dress him, make the other team act irrational out of fear to dress a bunch of the goons just in case. And then don't even play him unless absolutely needed.

Just what this team needs. Another supposed "deterrent" 4th liner that they don't trust on the ice taking up too much cap space.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
I was looking at some advanced stats stuff for silfverberg and it looks like he's killing it possession wise. CF% is at 56% right now but he just can't put up points. So he's doin okay if you ask me.

Apparently he's refusing to go to the tough areas because he's scared or something.

I don't think all Ducks fans share tgis ridiculous opinion, but it's hilarious the argument started up after Torres did his time.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Just what this team needs. Another supposed "deterrent" 4th liner that they don't trust on the ice taking up too much cap space.

You do realize a team like anaheim who is know for goons would dress 2 known tough guys in a game against san jose just to make sure nothing happens with torres. Makes the team worse, sharks win.

And if the other team starts running players, then you release the beast and enjoy the ride.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
You do realize a team like anaheim who is know for goons would dress 2 known tough guys in a game against san jose just to make sure nothing happens with torres. Makes the team worse, sharks win.

And if the other team starts running players, then you release the beast and enjoy the ride.

Anaheim doesn't even have any "goons" on their NHL roster.

The Kings skate their "tough" guys in regular shifts.

Most teams have moved on from 'goon' type players, though that's not what Torres is. He's just a straight up dirty player.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
They have McGrattan in San Di-a-go.

Yes, in San Diego.

They have guys like Manson, Stewart, Stoner in the NHL that are their 'tough' guys.

Most teams don't feel the need to dress 'deterrents' anymore. Even the Sharks believe that Brown is a useful hockey player, not just a face puncher.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Yes, in San Diego.

They have guys like Manson, Stewart, Stoner in the NHL that are their 'tough' guys.

Most teams don't feel the need to dress 'deterrents' anymore. Even the Sharks believe that Brown is a useful hockey player, not just a face puncher.

You honestly think if the sharks said tomorrow that torres 1st game back will be February 2nd in anaheim that they would not make the call?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad