Race for the playoffs

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Knights clinch Hamilton Spectator for the 6th time in 11 years. Whalers need 2 points to clinch the West Division and finish as 2nd place in the West.

There might still be drama yet atop the Eastern Conference. With the recent struggles of the Bulls, losing 3-1 to the worst in the league, it sure makes it interesting up there.

Bulls have 6 games left, 85 Points.
Colts have 6 games left, 82 Points.
Gennies have 5 games left, 80 Points.

The Colts have won their division, so they can only be first or second. The Bulls and Generals can only be first and third. Bulls need only 6 points to clinch a spot over the Generals. But with their cold streak, they might just go 3-3, or 2-4.

Meanwhile, Generals have won 5 straight. They play Ottawa, Kingston, Sudbury and Belleville. If they won 4/5 with a win against Belleville, and the Bulls collect only 3 points in their last 6 games, the Generals would overtake them. Seems unlikely, but it's a lot closer than it was before. Also, the Colts have a legit shot of taking down the Bulls.

Brampton and Sudbury seem destined for 4 and 5. Niagara might be creeping up, but 5 points is a lot of ground to cover in 5 games.

Back in the basement, big games tomorrow in the Fronts/Petes and Steelheads/Dogs. Petes also have Ottawa and Missy on the weekend. I think the Petes have the best chance of catching Missy. If Peterborough beats Ottawa and them while they lose to Niagara, Brampton, and Kingston, they'd be tied on points.

So I don't think tomorrow is a must-win for the Petes. But 4 of their last 5 could give them a real shot at the playoffs.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Good day for the Petes. They beat the Fronts 4-1 and Missy blows a 3-1 lead to lose in a SO.

With the SSM loss, Plymouth locks up the West Division and will finish as second seed in the West.

Windsor isn't yet mathematically eliminated from the playoffs. If they won their final four games, and Saginaw went 1-5, they could force a tiebreaker. It's obviously extremely unlikely, but Saginaw is on a four-game losing streak.

MisterDB

Apr 5, 2012
If two teams are tied in points for the last playoff spot then there is a tie breaker game for this plyoff spot. The question then becomes what would happen if 3 teams tie ie 7, 8, and 9 th place teams all have lets say 60 pts. Does the team with the best win loss record get 7th thus forcing the other two into a tie breaker game?

WhalerBlue

Feb 27, 2013
Detroit
If two teams are tied in points for the last playoff spot then there is a tie breaker game for this plyoff spot. The question then becomes what would happen if 3 teams tie ie 7, 8, and 9 th place teams all have lets say 60 pts. Does the team with the best win loss record get 7th thus forcing the other two into a tie breaker game?
Yes. Records against each other come into play. Goal differential. Regulation losses, OT and SO also have input. I am guessing that it is more than possible that it could happen in the East 7,8, and 9 spots this year.

Last edited:

BigBuck

Jan 26, 2012
The last playoff spot in the East is getting very tight and will be an interesting finish as they all play each other once and they all play Ottawa once. Starting this Sunday Missy@Kingston and Ottawa@Petes with Kingston only 2 points up on the Petes it is a must win situation for the Fronts. Missy@Petes on Tuesday should be a big game for both and then next Friday night Petes@Kingston could be make or break for both of these teams. Missy plays Ottawa Sat. and Kingston plays Ottawa Sunday.

WhalerBlue

Feb 27, 2013
Detroit
Mississauga' 2 shootout losses provided 2 points. That will probably save them from 9th provided they don't collapse. Ottawa' games against Kingston, Petes and Mississauga could decide who is and who is not. I said it before and I said it again. Ottawa can let it all hang out without fear of repercussions.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Petes are nearly within striking distance.

In the final four games, they need to better Mississauga's record by two wins. It could be the same with the Fronts.

If the Steelheads beat the Fronts in regulation tomorrow, that really opens the door for the Petes. The Fronts would have the same number of games as the Petes, being 2 points up. Since they'd have 1 more game to play, Peterborough would need to win that game to be tied with them.

So, all you Petes fans, cheer for the Steelheads tomorrow.

BigBuck

Jan 26, 2012
Petes are nearly within striking distance.

In the final four games, they need to better Mississauga's record by two wins. It could be the same with the Fronts.

If the Steelheads beat the Fronts in regulation tomorrow, that really opens the door for the Petes. The Fronts would have the same number of games as the Petes, being 2 points up. Since they'd have 1 more game to play, Peterborough would need to win that game to be tied with them.

So, all you Petes fans, cheer for the Steelheads tomorrow.

The Petes play Ottawa tomorrow if they win and Fronts lose to Missy they will be tied. Kingston has to play Bellville and Barrie this week 2 very tough games,Peterborough plays Missy on Tuesday so they could be ahead of the Fronts heading into Kingston next Friday night.

BigBuck

Jan 26, 2012
The East final 2 spots is getting tight. Petes are 2 points back of both Kingston and Missy after a Petes win and the Fronts beat Missy today.Bellville at Kingston tomorrow and the Petes play Missy on Tuesday so it could be a 3 way tie after those games.

Friendly Fan

Mar 27, 2009
In the East, it seems like the top 3 are set.

The final 5 can do some shuffling. Brampton may finish 4th or 5th. Wolves can finish 4th or 6th. Niagara can finish 4th to 6th. Missy, Kingston or Petes all have a shot at missing the playoffs.

Only certain thing in the East is that Ottawa finishes last.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Things are getting real tight. Kingston losing 2-1 to Belleville in the second.

The big story tomorrow will be Mississauga vs Peterborough. Petes can get things all tied up with a win tomorrow.

London vs Saginaw is set!

Plymouth will play either the Soo or Sarnia.

Owen Sound will play either the Soo, Sting or Storm (Storm need 1 pt to clinch 5th)

Rangers will play either Guelph or SSM (again, most likely Guelph).

London vs Saginaw is 100%. Kitchener vs Guelph is basically all but set, though they still need to determine home advantage. Sarnia and SSM will battle for positioning, and that will determine the other 2 series.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Never mind, the above might be wrong. From the OHL Website:
--------

Among Three Teams for Two (2) Playoff Positions (potentially KGN, MISS, PBO):
The preliminary position of the three teams shall be determined as calculated by dividing the sum of the total goals for plus the total goals against into the total goals for.

The team with the highest percentage shall be determined higher in the standing and secure a playoff position.

The remaining two teams shall play a sudden-death game at one of the two team’s centres with such centre to be determined by the OHL tie-breaking method with the winner being declared higher in the standing as the final playoff team.

--------

GF divided by GA = your percentage. The team with the highest percentage is 7th seed. The other two teams play the tiebreaker.
Mississauga - 173 divided by 212 = 0.81
Peterborough - 192 divided by 243 = 0.79
Kingston - 206 divided by 263 = 0.78

All of a sudden, teams need to watch the scores, and make sure there are no blowouts.

NHL Fanatic

Oct 4, 2010
GTA
If Mississauga wins 2/3 they clinch but only if they beat Peterborough. Ultimately the Petes control their own fate as they are squaring off against both teams that are right above them.

BigBuck

Jan 26, 2012
Never mind, the above might be wrong. From the OHL Website:
--------

Among Three Teams for Two (2) Playoff Positions (potentially KGN, MISS, PBO):
The preliminary position of the three teams shall be determined as calculated by dividing the sum of the total goals for plus the total goals against into the total goals for.

The team with the highest percentage shall be determined higher in the standing and secure a playoff position.

The remaining two teams shall play a sudden-death game at one of the two team’s centres with such centre to be determined by the OHL tie-breaking method with the winner being declared higher in the standing as the final playoff team.

--------

GF divided by GA = your percentage. The team with the highest percentage is 7th seed. The other two teams play the tiebreaker.
Mississauga - 173 divided by 212 = 0.81
Peterborough - 192 divided by 243 = 0.79
Kingston - 206 divided by 263 = 0.78

All of a sudden, teams need to watch the scores, and make sure there are no blowouts.

Are you sure these are the numbers? I read it as adding goals for and goals against then divide it into goals for so Missy would be 173 divided by 385 = .4493 , Petes 192 divided by 435 = .4413, Fronts 206 divided by 469 =.4392 Missy would have higher percentage.

WhalerBlue

Feb 27, 2013
Detroit
Are you sure these are the numbers? I read it as adding goals for and goals against then divide it into goals for so Missy would be 173 divided by 385 = .4493 , Petes 192 divided by 435 = .4413, Fronts 206 divided by 469 =.4392 Missy would have higher percentage.
That is the way I understood it. Hopefully we don't have to break out the calculators.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
I stand corrected. Didn't read it properly, sorry.

Missy vs Peterborough in 1 hour.

If Mississauga wins, Petes will need to go 2/2 and Missy 0/2 for the Petes to catch them.

Basically, if Mississauga wins in regulation, they'll be 1 point away from clinching the playoffs.

Probably the most important game of the year for both teams. But we're going to be saying that a lot in the coming days.

BigBuck

Jan 26, 2012
The dreaded 3 point game in Peterborough tonight. Petes win in Shootout leaving them tied for 8th and Missy gets 1 point moving them 1 point ahead in 7th. Huge game Fri. night Petes at Fronts.

WhalerBlue

Feb 27, 2013
Detroit
Petes win 3-2 over Mississauga in a shootout. Mississauga 66 gms 58 pts, Kingston 65 gms 57 pts and the Petes 66 gms 57 points. Kingston play Barrie, Petes and Ottawa. Mississauga plays Belleville and Ottawa. The Petes play Kingston and Brampton. Predictions?

ottsabrefan

May 19, 2011
Ottawa
Petes win 3-2 over Mississauga in a shootout. Mississauga 66 gms 58 pts, Kingston 65 gms 57 pts and the Petes 66 gms 57 points. Kingston play Barrie, Petes and Ottawa. Mississauga plays Belleville and Ottawa. The Petes play Kingston and Brampton. Predictions?

I'm predicting that point Mississauga got tonight will be the point that gets them in. I feel they are the worst of the 3 teams, but will still find a way to beat Ottawa on Saturday. Kingston-Petes will be determined Friday. Interesting to see if Kingston starts Furlong on Thursday to rest Morrison.

On a side note: Am I the only one that finds it ridiculous they play a tie-breaking game? I mean they use wins for all the other spots and everyone knows the tie-breaker at the start of the year so I'm not sure why they need a playoff game. Two OTL is not the same as a win and a loss as you gave up 4 points to the opposition instead of two. And isn't it tough enough for the 8th seed to play the 1st seed, let alone adding on an extra game right before the start. When would that game be, Tuesday? A night before they have to go into Belleville?

BigBuck

Jan 26, 2012
I'm predicting that point Mississauga got tonight will be the point that gets them in. I feel they are the worst of the 3 teams, but will still find a way to beat Ottawa on Saturday. Kingston-Petes will be determined Friday. Interesting to see if Kingston starts Furlong on Thursday to rest Morrison.

On a side note: Am I the only one that finds it ridiculous they play a tie-breaking game? I mean they use wins for all the other spots and everyone knows the tie-breaker at the start of the year so I'm not sure why they need a playoff game. Two OTL is not the same as a win and a loss as you gave up 4 points to the opposition instead of two. And isn't it tough enough for the 8th seed to play the 1st seed, let alone adding on an extra game right before the start. When would that game be, Tuesday? A night before they have to go into Belleville?

Missy has to play Oshawa at home Fri. night and it is an afternoon game in Ottawa on Sat. that might be their last point tonight.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI

A play in game does seem like a poor idea to me. Just use head-to-head and regulation wins to break the ties and be done with it.

While on this subject, I would prefer that hockey just eliminate the "loser point" for OT/SO losses all together. Rewarding a team for losing a game is ridiculous, as is making some games worth two points and others three points. If the sport wants OT's and SO's, let it really decide the game, or get rid of them. I have really disliked the current setup every since it began.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad