GDT: R2G4 - Stars @ Avs - The Gang makes a GDT

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Question for the smarties out there.

In some games, it seems like the Avs can't miss on those little chip passes as they breakout and move up the ice, then they have games like G3, where they couldn't hit water if they fell out of a boat. The passes ended up nowhere near anybody or went directly to a Stars' player. What causes the difference? I'm assuming Dallas figured out the chips and were steering our trailing players away from the puck... but I'm not sure. I didn't really see anything that looked like obstruction going on so I'm a bit confused and not sure what to think.

Reactions: The Moops

The Moops

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2017
Earth

In some games, it seems like the Avs can't miss on those little chip passes as they breakout and move up the ice, then they have games like G3, where they couldn't hit water if they fell out of a boat. The passes ended up nowhere near anybody or went directly to a Stars' player. What causes the difference? I'm assuming Dallas figured out the chips and were steering our trailing players away from the puck... but I'm not sure. I didn't really see anything that looked like obstruction going on so I'm a bit confused and not sure what to think.
It really was frustrating. Like they weren't in sync with where they thought someone should be. I'm not sure if it's a systems thing where they couldn't get to where they needed to be or if it was just laziness. But I'm not a smartie, I'm a big dumb dumb

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006

Here I am....

I don't understand your question. :sarcasm:

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
It really was frustrating. Like they weren't in sync with where they thought someone should be. I'm not sure if it's a systems thing where they couldn't get to where they needed to be or if it was just laziness. But I'm not a smartie, I'm a big dumb dumb
I mean, it happens throughout the regular season too. I chalked the regular season stuff up to the casualness that permeates the regular season. Now that we are in the playoffs, I don't expect to see a game where everyone is struggling so mightily with it. I could understand one guy having an off night, but the entire team? Seems to me that Dallas had to have made some sort of adjustment, but I just don't know what. It could just be an unavoidable effect of clogging up the neutral zone which would mean they really have to either skate through it individually or as a team make a conscious decision to chip the puck in and chase it down.

Reactions: The Moops

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006

IMG_2782.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Bill Peckerskull

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012

Pressure and mental. Dallas has made it to where the Avs have to be exact with a lot of their plays. If they are off by a foot, the whole play is disrupted if not intercepted. That gets in players' heads a bit too where they know they have to be perfect and that causes the Avs to play a bit tight and overthink. It gets compounded when the Avs absolutely refuse to make the simple play. They are incredibly used to executing that they think they can pull off the tight windows... and they just can't.

The solution to all the Avs' problems is simply hard work. Chip and chase, grind out plays in the corner, and get in the dirty areas. Don't worry about being pretty, don't worry about flying through the neutral zone with the puck. Just simple grind it out hockey. If they do that and get a few goals... Dallas will have to loosen up.

AvStock

Mar 15, 2022
Pressure and mental. Dallas has made it to where the Avs have to be exact with a lot of their plays. If they are off by a foot, the whole play is disrupted if not intercepted. That gets in players' heads a bit too where they know they have to be perfect and that causes the Avs to play a bit tight and overthink. It gets compounded when the Avs absolutely refuse to make the simple play. They are incredibly used to executing that they think they can pull off the tight windows... and they just can't.

The solution to all the Avs' problems is simply hard work. Chip and chase, grind out plays in the corner, and get in the dirty areas. Don't worry about being pretty, don't worry about flying through the neutral zone with the puck. Just simple grind it out hockey. If they do that and get a few goals... Dallas will have to loosen up.
Do we have the team make up to play like that though? I know Lehk and Nuke are grindy but what about MacK and…. Rants…

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad