GDT: R2G2 - Aves @ Stares - 7:30 MT - 🐝 there or 🐝 🔳

Terrible GDT - I'm sorry. will you forgive me?

• No

Votes: 25 51.0%
  • 😐

Votes: 33 67.3%

• Total voters

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I don't think any of the penalties were that iffy (any more than normal), but the refs didn't have an impact on a win or a loss here. The Avs just lost this game.
No I would agree, Colorado just straight up got pants'd and didn't deserve this game at all. The refereeing really didn't have an impact on the outcome. I mean for FFS, the Avs had a golden opportunity with a PP with 2:55 left to go in the game and instead of being hungry to strike, they kept trying to force-feed MacKinnon the puck. For the life of me, I could not understand why. You have Mikko and Makar circling waiting for Nate to get in his position, wasting time, when you need to remember that Mikko has a good shot; Cale has a good shot. Instead of trying to force something, use some of your OTHER elite weapons.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
That would imply that we weren't the ones who ripped our own pants off and threw them into the Colorado river
I mean call it what you want, Dallas forced us to make really stupid mistakes. Now, did they have to work hard to force the Avs to make those stupid mistakes? No, but they got Colorado off their game and capitalized on every single terrible decision we made.

Reactions: missionAvs

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
I mean call it what you want, Dallas forced us to make really stupid mistakes. Now, did they have to work hard to force the Avs to make those stupid mistakes? No, but they got Colorado off their game and capitalized on every single terrible decision we made.
Personally I do not think Dallas really did anything to 'force' our guys to clear it over the glass twice and take two too many men penalties. Especially that Manson one - there was nobody close to him and he launched it into the other end of the rink

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
The dumb mistakes are simply on the Avs... the lack of any offensive pressure until they were way down is the direct result of the Stars' adjustments. Time for Bednar to take what worked in the third and apply it for the game (which is simple hockey, the players have to be willing).

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Personally I do not think Dallas really did anything to 'force' our guys to clear it over the glass twice and take two too many men penalties. Especially that Manson one - there was nobody close to him and he launched it into the other end of the rink
Dallas came out and, imo, were much faster at swarming/smothering the Avs puck-carriers. Like I said, they didn't have to work really all that hard to force the mistakes, but I believe they forced them nonetheless.

And when you are too stubborn to change tactics to counter a gameplan that's designed to break apart one of the foundations of what makes your team successful (your speed/quickness in transition), then I don't know what else to say. The top guys (MacK and Mikko mainly) didn't show up again, Nuke had a rather uncharacteristically bad night (for him), and I even thought Makar had some puck fumbles that put an end to any potential sustained zone pressure. The PP was abominable (but we are used to that at this point), and they waited too long to get the bodies in front of Oettinger to try and take away his eyes.

Part of that was both what Dallas was doing and what Colorado was doing. Dallas was quick to take on the puck-carrier in their defensive zone (so our offensive zone); whereas waaaaaay too many times I saw an Avalanche player be rather lackadaisical with the puck, just seemingly uninterested in applying an intensity/intentionality with what they were doing. Whether that is receiving a pass (I saw a number of what I'd consider softer pass attempts coupled w/ the receiver just waiting instead of going to get it, and it would result in a very easy breakup), or just being careless at the blueline/on the wall, it just was an abhorrent night.

Reactions: missionAvs

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
A few things contributed to this loss:

1. We just didn't skate in the first 40 minutes
2. Our timing with passes etc seemed all off, passes were off target, or predictable to intercept by Stars
3. We took 4 dumbass penalties
4. The Stars came out hard and wanted it more
5. The players were stubborn for the first 40, trying to go hero mode through 4 Dallas defenders on their blue line repeatedly
6. The ice seemed bad to me, pucks were bobbling all over the place. Now that affects both teams but when the Avs were not playing well, it made it hard to get any sort of momentum. Dallas seemed to cope fine with it, so maybe this is just clutching at straws.
7. Oettinger was great early on and stifled any chance of the Avs getting going
8. Dallas' structure and defensive game was solid for most of the game, they did a good job slowing us down, until they didn't.

Positives though:

1. George was really good. Despite the 4 goals against he played a solid solid game.
2. Split the series and going home with home ice advantage, we would all have taken that at the start of the series
3. The Avs have shown signs that when they move their feet and hustle, and forecheck and push the play, they can score in bunches. I expect more of this in Ball Arena.
4. Hopefully, the Stars come to Denver and start to feel the fatigue at Altitude. Our third periods could be big at home.
5. After waiting a while, Manson dished out some nice hits on Benn, especially the one into his own bench. Benn looked pretty mad about that shit. f*** Benn.
6. Our never say die attitude. There wasn't a single Stars fan in that arena last night without a puckered asshole when the Avs scored 3 and went on the PP. You know they thought we were coming back. The players probably did, too. They will not feel comfortable with any lead on this team.
7. Go Avs.
8. Drouin back in game 3 or 4?

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
Dallas came out and, imo, were much faster at swarming/smothering the Avs puck-carriers. Like I said, they didn't have to work really all that hard to force the mistakes, but I believe they forced them nonetheless.

And when you are too stubborn to change tactics to counter a gameplan that's designed to break apart one of the foundations of what makes your team successful (your speed/quickness in transition), then I don't know what else to say. The top guys (MacK and Mikko mainly) didn't show up again, Nuke had a rather uncharacteristically bad night (for him), and I even thought Makar had some puck fumbles that put an end to any potential sustained zone pressure. The PP was abominable (but we are used to that at this point), and they waited too long to get the bodies in front of Oettinger to try and take away his eyes.

Part of that was both what Dallas was doing and what Colorado was doing. Dallas was quick to take on the puck-carrier in their defensive zone (so our offensive zone); whereas waaaaaay too many times I saw an Avalanche player be rather lackadaisical with the puck, just seemingly uninterested in applying an intensity/intentionality with what they were doing. Whether that is receiving a pass (I saw a number of what I'd consider softer pass attempts coupled w/ the receiver just waiting instead of going to get it, and it would result in a very easy breakup), or just being careless at the blueline/on the wall, it just was an abhorrent night.
I'm just talking specifically about those 4 minor penalties (several within the first 15 min of the game that ruined any chance of momentum or ice time for the top line). I don't think any of the four were attributable to anything special the stars were doing. Players need to be able to avoid making disastrous mistakes like puck over glass when they are pressured, which happens hundreds of times a game. The two many men calls are almost worse because they're just cheating for a few extra moments and they know it

Reactions: Avs_19

The Pwnerer

Jan 27, 2006
You would think after the Cup win, Mackinnon would learn to not to get so frustrated and sulk so much when it's not going his way. But I guess he's only human. Even Crosby had those days. I expect big bounce back games from him in the homestand.

nammerus

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
The top guys lost this game plain and simple. Zero point for MacKinnon and Rantanen, you're not going to win many games when your top line doesn't produce. They had a PP to tie the game and couldn't deliver. Not to mention the SHG was the game winner.

Peak 2nd round Mack back in form. Love to see it...

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
The too many men on the ice penalties were a joke. Neither was egregious, especially considering they let Dallas get away with a far worse one than either of ours.

Not sure why the Avs are held to one standard on a change and Dallas another. At a certain point it becomes they were looking for something to call on the Avs and that was the best that could come up with. And if you are looking for calls instead of just letting the game unfold you aren't doing your job as a ref.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
You would think after the Cup win, Mackinnon would learn to not to get so frustrated and sulk so much when it's not going his way. But I guess he's only human. Even Crosby had those days. I expect big bounce back games from him in the homestand.
I love how everyone is ragging 29. I'm not really sure what he is supposed to do. Every time he touches the puck 2 to 3 guys are instantly swarming him begging anyone other than him to beat them. On the PP they literally have a guy assigned to him. That means the other 4 guys are going to have to do heavy lifting because they are playing don't let 29 touch the puck hockey.

At this point Dallas has said we aren't afraid of anyone other than 29 and 8 to a slightly lesser extent (it's harder to swarm a dman), other guys have to make them pay for that choice.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Did we lose this game???
IMG_2774.gif

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I love how everyone is ragging 29. I'm not really sure what he is supposed to do. Every time he touches the puck 2 to 3 guys are instantly swarming him begging anyone other than him to beat them. On the PP they literally have a guy assigned to him. That means the other 4 guys are going to have to do heavy lifting because they are playing don't let 29 touch the puck hockey.

At this point Dallas has said we aren't afraid of anyone other than 29 and 8 to a slightly lesser extent (it's harder to swarm a dman), other guys have to make them pay for that choice.
MacKinnon just hasn't been what we've usually gotten from him this year. I do understand that he's being swarmed, but at the same time he's also getting in his own way. He's made terrible passing decisions, and Bednar rightfully pointed out last night that the Top line (i.e.--MacK and Mikko) are getting frustrated too soon and don't seem to want to work hard enough.

Unfortunately, we've had to live with that with Mikko for a while now, but I don't think this has been something MacK has had to go through much (if at all) in his career.

We simply need him and the rest of our top elite players to play to their capabilities.

GeoRox89

Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom
MacKinnon just hasn't been what we've usually gotten from him this year. I do understand that he's being swarmed, but at the same time he's also getting in his own way. He's made terrible passing decisions, and Bednar rightfully pointed out last night that the Top line (i.e.--MacK and Mikko) are getting frustrated too soon and don't seem to want to work hard enough.

Unfortunately, we've had to live with that with Mikko for a while now, but I don't think this has been something MacK has had to go through much (if at all) in his career.

We simply need him and the rest of our top elite players to play to their capabilities.
If it was purely a defender thing and Mack looked like he was trying his best and rallying the boys it wouldn’t be a big deal that he doesn’t look like himself. He’s playing like he’s frustrated and sulking when we need more than just Makar and complementary players to be the leaders with Landy not on the bench

Really hope we see Drouin back for game 3. Mack has missed his playmaking and he’s one of the few guys who has a chance to make the top lines refusal to play dump and chase to beat the trap work with his ability to get Mack the puck in tight spaces with speed. More than any of that though it might finally get Mack out of his sulking funk to get that Halifax connection going again

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
If it was purely a defender thing and Mack looked like he was trying his best and rallying the boys it wouldn’t be a big deal that he doesn’t look like himself. He’s playing like he’s frustrated and sulking when we need more than just Makar and complementary players to be the leaders with Landy not on the bench

Really hope we see Drouin back for game 3. Mack has missed his playmaking and he’s one of the few guys who has a chance to make the top lines refusal to play dump and chase to beat the trap work with his ability to get Mack the puck in tight spaces with speed. More than any of that though it might finally get Mack out of his sulking funk to get that Halifax connection going again
I get what you're saying, but it's both concerning & disappointing to me that here we are in the Playoffs, 2nd round, and he might be playing this way because he's without Drouin.

Like...you have a shot, perhaps not a great one because of the total wildcard in net, but a shot nonetheless of competing for a Cup, and this is what you're doing?

GeoRox89

Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom
I get what you're saying, but it's both concerning & disappointing to me that here we are in the Playoffs, 2nd round, and he might be playing this way because he's without Drouin.

Like...you have a shot, perhaps not a great one because of the total wildcard in net, but a shot nonetheless of competing for a Cup, and this is what you're doing?
Oh I agree it’s concerning and disappointing but we seem to be stuck with it at this point so anything that can right this ship is welcome (no matter how much it shouldn’t be necessary)

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
The Avs played like a bag of half eaten ass and still almost tied the game given a late PP.

These two games show me exactly what the Jets series did: Dallas cannot skate with us when we are at our best. The Avs forwards have to come ready to work - specifically 29 and 96. I thought Mikko did well to battle last night but still played dumb hockey. MacKinnon, meanwhile, hasn't looked that bad in years. Truly astonishing how bad he was.

If they don't figure it out, the Avs will be a quick exit. Wood, Kiviranta and Duhaime won't score every night.

Avsavsavsavsavs

Nov 30, 2017
The Avs played like a bag of half eaten ass and still almost tied the game given a late PP.

These two games show me exactly what the Jets series did: Dallas cannot skate with us when we are at our best. The Avs forwards have to come ready to work - specifically 29 and 96. I thought Mikko did well to battle last night but still played dumb hockey. MacKinnon, meanwhile, hasn't looked that bad in years. Truly astonishing how bad he was.

If they don't figure it out, the Avs will be a quick exit. Wood, Kiviranta and Duhaime won't score every night.

I don't know if I can compare this one to the WPG series too much. I'm more comfortable believing that Dallas just took the foot off the gas up 4-0. I do think most of the issues were self inflicted obviously with the penalties but I can't think of a single time in the first 40 minutes of last game where the Avs had any sustained pressure.

Bednar needs to adjust to the high forward or this will continue to be a headache of a series.

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
The quiet part out loud is that MacKinnon hasn't really played to his abilities at all yet throughout the playoffs. Most of their production has been on the PP - 5 on 5 he's had his moments but hasn't played a full game or even close to it. Mittlestadt's line carried the 5-on-5 play last series

Same could maybe be said for Rantanen but my expectations of Rantanen are much lower after what he showed us during the regular season. MacKinnon is coming off of a dominant year and I expected him to ramp it up a notch. It just seems he's not skating like he can and is even coasting for line changes. Sometimes it looks like he's conserving energy but he's certainly not been fully engaged in the majority of his shifts. Definitely some credit has to go to the Jets and Stars for stifling him, but it seems to be more of an effort level thing than anything. Like even on the Toews hit, where is the passion? Where is the fire? Go after Benn and get in his grill. I'm just not seeing the level of intensity we are accustomed to

I wonder if there's a lingering injury or some distraction off-ice, because it's a bit out of character for him. Let's hope this all changes next game because we won't get out of this series if it doesn't

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
The quiet part out loud is that MacKinnon hasn't really played to his abilities at all yet throughout the playoffs. Most of their production has been on the PP - 5 on 5 he's had his moments but hasn't played a full game or even close to it. Mittlestadt's line carried the 5-on-5 play last series

Same could maybe be said for Rantanen but my expectations of Rantanen are much lower after what he showed us during the regular season. MacKinnon is coming off of a dominant year and I expected him to ramp it up a notch. It just seems he's not skating like he can and is even coasting for line changes. Sometimes it looks like he's conserving energy but he's certainly not been fully engaged in the majority of his shifts. Definitely some credit has to go to the Jets and Stars for stifling him, but it seems to be more of an effort level thing than anything. Like even on the Toews hit, where is the passion? Where is the fire? Go after Benn and get in his grill. I'm just not seeing the level of intensity we are accustomed to

I wonder if there's a lingering injury or some distraction off-ice, because it's a bit out of character for him. Let's hope this all changes next game because we won't get out of this series if it doesn't
MacKinnon looks to me like a guy sulking because his best friend got hurt right before playoffs.

It's insane how bad he looks 5v5.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
MacKinnon looks to me like a guy sulking because his best friend got hurt right before playoffs.
He looks like a guy who spent the last 50 games of the regular season chasing the Hart and the franchise record for points...and when the regular season ended he suffered a big adrenaline dump.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad