GDT: R2G1 - Avalanche @ Stars - 7:30PM - Nate Wick

AvBuff

May 1, 2019
Georgie deserves serious props for his play especially in OT.
With that said, anyone else feel like Georgie’s style of play is like that of an old time goaltender (Freddy mask and all)? Pure chaos, all over the place and very little form other than “keep the puck out at all costs.”

Also, I think whoever said they believe Georgie broke his hand at some point which is why he can’t catch anything in his glove was seriously on to something.

Georgiev is the goalie version of Mikko: great tools, all the ability . . . and completely mercurial. Both guys go from "what the hell are you doing?" to "that might be the greatest play I've seen all year" in minutes. Seconds.

Maybe the first goal you can pin on AG. Maybe. The other 2 were goofy deflections. One was on a friggin' 5 on 3. That's a big ask.

But as in the Winnipeg series, you're not asking AG to be great. Just be a little better than the other guy. He was last night. In fact, AG was spectacular in the 3rd and OT. If AG played a game losing breakaway the way Otter did last night against Wood (horribly) . . . it wouldn't be pretty.

Yes, he drives you crazy. But AG has been better than Oettinger and Hellebuyck over the last 5 games when it really mattered.

Weird. But true.

Avsfan1921

Oct 5, 2019
It’s amazing how a team that thrives on offence from their defence and encourages aggressive play at almost every chance can play so well defensively when they decide it’s time. I said the last 2+ months that they’d need to get their head out of their ass defensively as a team and wasn’t sure if they could. But boy, can they so far!

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
It's going to be interesting to see what Avs team shows up for Game #2.

As I mentioned after the jets series, I expected the Avs to play 'a stinker' some point soon after winning 4 in a row... was hoping it wasn't going to be Game #1 but in some ways it was even though we won as we are capable of playing a lot better.

I'm kind of concerned about MacKinnon - he's just not his usual dominant self and seems to be fighting the puck quite a bit. He's standing around a lot and not really moving his feet defensively and that's not really something we've seen him do this year...maybe back 3-4 years ago. I don't know what it is, maybe he's saving it for later.

Rantanen had a few good plays and blocks defensively after that abomination of a 1st period. Seemed to at least try harder.

I don't like Wagner on the 3rd line (or at all really) and I think that line really needs a guy that can help them out defensively. Kiviranta has played well in the PO and seems to be the best fit on that line apart from LOC.

Georgiev really saved our bacon in OT as the Avs seem to be just waiting to lose until Cogliano made a great pass to Wood for the OT winner.
I've wondered about this too. Part of me wonders if this is a "Pro" approach? Maybe not on cruise control but using his energy and hard play when needed to keep some gas in the tank? While I like domination, I also understand the controlled approach to each game. If George can play average it seems like this team can buckle down and do what it takes to win.

Curious what the smarter hockey minds think... summoning @henchman21

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
I've wondered about this too. Part of me wonders if this is a "Pro" approach? Maybe not on cruise control but using his energy and hard play when needed to keep some gas in the tank? While I like domination, I also understand the controlled approach to each game. If George can play average it seems like this team can buckle down and do what it takes to win.

Could be that but he absolutely needs to keep his feet moving especially in the defensive zone. It really f***s up our scheme when he just stands still and puck watches... can't really have that. If he wants to save energy in the other 2 zones, I'm more fine with that.

Last edited:
Reactions: niwotsblessing

SB

Mar 9, 2004
Colorado
It’s amazing how a team that thrives on offence from their defence and encourages aggressive play at almost every chance can play so well defensively when they decide it’s time. I said the last 2+ months that they’d need to get their head out of their ass defensively as a team and wasn’t sure if they could. But boy, can they so far!
It's just super tiring to play defense like they do -- it appears that they have figured out in-season restraint, a little bit anyway.

Avsfan1921

Oct 5, 2019
It's just super tiring to play defense like they do -- it appears that they have figured out in-season restraint, a little bit anyway.
I was hopeful and tried to spread the optimism but it is impressive how they’ve flipped the switch, that can’t be easy.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012

Are we talking about Mikko here? If so, it is just that he is a lazy F. Simple as that. An incredibly talented one who you deal with his issues because he can break a game open at any point and create goals where few can. Still doesn't change that he's lazy. Kucherov is another one of that sort. Jagr in his prime had the same stigma.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

MacKaRant

Sponsor
Jul 27, 2021
Nah I was told these mins were fine. Surely Miles Wood is a better skater than Miro.
Miro only played one minute more than Makar, and Makar's game is more burst-heavy.

Wood is simply one of the fastest in the NHL in straight ahead speed, I think it would be a fallacy to say the reason Miro got beat is because of the 5D rotation.

Reactions: wayninja

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
Miro only played one minute more than Makar, and Makar's game is more burst-heavy.

Wood is simply one of the fastest in the NHL in straight ahead speed, I think it would be a fallacy to say the reason Miro got beat is because of the 5D rotation.
zero percent chance a third liner burns one of the best skaters in the league like that on a normal night even as good of a skater as Wood is. Admitting you're wrong is tough though so I don't expect it.

Cale has also at times shown that increased minutes impede his performance so you're not helping your case with that either.

wayninja

Win it for Val
Mar 24, 2017

Yeah, lots of people slapping foreheads wondering how Miro got beat. It wasn't the minutes, people just flat out can't believe wood is that fast. He is.

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
Dallas fans are saying the 5D isn't working. We watched a world class skater get burnt last night by Miles Wood whom everyone here hated until 12 hours ago. What needs to happen to admit you dudes were wrong let's see it in writing.

MacKaRant

Sponsor
Jul 27, 2021
Georgie deserves serious props for his play especially in OT.

With that said, anyone else feel like Georgie’s style of play is like that of an old time goaltender (Freddy mask and all)? Pure chaos, all over the place and very little form other than “keep the puck out at all costs.”

Also, I think whoever said they believe Georgie broke his hand at some point which is why he can’t catch anything in his glove was seriously on to something.
He is one of very few goaltenders in the NHL that doesn't butterfly for practically every shot, it is a huge stylistic difference for me watching him.

Reactions: Gatorbait19

wayninja

Win it for Val
Mar 24, 2017
Dallas fans are saying the 5D isn't working. We watched a world class skater get burnt last night by Miles Wood whom everyone here hated until 12 hours ago. What needs to happen to admit you dudes were wrong let's see it in writing.

You don't have to like wood even a little bit to concede the dude is way faster than he gets credit for

I don't doubt for even a little bit that wood had much fresher legs than miro. I don't care. World class skater or not, there are few who could have kept up with that burst from wood. It was simply impressive.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
zero percent chance a third liner burns one of the best skaters in the league like that on a normal night even as good of a skater as Wood is. Admitting you're wrong is tough though so I don't expect it.

Cale has also at times shown that increased minutes impede his performance so you're not helping your case with that either.
Only one Av has ever been clocked faster than Miles Wood. Wood can't change direction worth a shit anymore, but the dude can absolutely fly when he gets 3-4 steps to get moving. Top 10-15 in the NHL.

MacKaRant

Sponsor
Jul 27, 2021

The scoring report we got from New Jersey fans and from watching the regular season is that Miles Wood gets a metric ton of breakaways due to his elite speed, but because of his lack of brain and hands, most of the time they turn into nothing. I didn't see anything out of the ordinary in Wood outskating Miro there, it's what he does.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
The scoring report we got from New Jersey fans and from watching the regular season is that Miles Wood gets a metric ton of breakaways due to his elite speed, but because of his lack of brain and hands, most of the time they turn into nothing. I didn't see anything out of the ordinary in Wood outskating Miro there, it's what he does.
The only surprise in this sequence is Wood didn't fumble the puck and he also didn't shoot it 3' wide of the net. :laugh:

MacKaRant

Sponsor
Jul 27, 2021
Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
Only one Av has ever been clocked faster than Miles Wood. Wood can't change direction worth a shit anymore, but the dude can absolutely fly when he gets 3-4 steps to get moving. Top 10-15 in the NHL.
so why didn't he do it every game then?

Dude should pot 30+ every year if it's that easy...

@MacKaRant

• Haha
Reactions: wayninja

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
He was 99th percentile among forwards in bursts over 22 mph during the regular season: NHL EDGE Puck and Player Tracking Statistics - Skaters

45 times in the regular season compared to league average of 3 times.
why didn't he have 45 goals?

a6a017d3-0d9c-440a-80f3-20b33dca8e36_text.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad