GDT: R1G1 - Aves @ Jetes

Can the Avs overcome being down 4-0 to start the game?

• No

Votes: 6 14.3%
  • Hell No

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • Nope

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • No way

Votes: 4 9.5%
  • We're going to lose 8-0

Votes: 22 52.4%

• Total voters

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
For a series, I can see George finding enough. Even this year we have seen stretches for 2-3 games in a row where he's played great. It just doesn't hold. If he can get those 2-3 games now and then get another one at the end... the Avs can probably find a way. Now I think it is very unlikely you can get through 4 series with this erratic play... but one, even two is possible to find just the right games.
We’ll see I guess. I’d just go with Annunen if he’s healthy for game 2

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
legit question…

If any of us here were in net instead of Georgiev, would we do better and give the Avs chance to win? I’m sure some of you here have played goalie. I have never played goalie but I played defense and forward in the beer league. I think I would at least not allow 7, I’d allow 6, we’d go to OT then I’d get so nervous that I would pull myself out of the game, Bednar would put Georgiev in net we’d still lose.

Sorry, I’ve had 1 or 2 or 7 drinks so far and I can’t get over that goalie performance. I’ve tried to defend Georgiev as much as possible this year, but can’t do it anymore
Yes... you would. Against NHL shooters. 7 would be your starting baseline... lol

ANewHope

Nuggets|Avs|Broncos
May 26, 2011
Feels like it’s impossible to be optimistic about any part of this playoff run. Avs won’t outplay them every game. George being historically shitty is overshadowing the potential for Annunen to fall apart.

Bednar is crazy if he doesn’t make the switch tho. With George you’re guaranteed to lose. Any other option atleast provides potential for something crazy to happen.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
I agree but unless Annunen recovers in time, Bednar doesn't have an option. There's nobody in the organization he could trust more than Georgiev. It's sad but true. Prosvetov and Holm aren't options. At least not just 0-1 down. I'm 100% sure that Georgiev is gonna start game 2 if Annunen isn't good to go.

No.... there is another....

1713815548611.png

:sarcasm:

MacKaRant

Sponsor
Jul 27, 2021
I believe we think that… I don’t think the coaches are there.

A different way of putting it… they likely believe there is zero chance Annunen can lead them to a Cup. So they will need George to eventually play and play well. Whatever it takes to make that possible is the course of action. Everything they’ve done thus far fits that playbook.
Coaches definitely have a huge call to make about the Game 2 starter if Annunen is available.

I'm not sure I buy that coaches think if they sit Georgiev they lose him for the rest of the playoffs. They've given him weeks to play through his mental issues and it just hasn't happened. If anything, they have gotten worse. I think Georgiev understands his play has been bad and he's letting the team down, and some part of him would understand if they make a change. This doesn't preclude him from grabbing the net back later when Justus struggles.

Maybe we can't win the Cup with Annunen as the goalie. But we also can't win the Cup unless we get out of the first round, and I don't think there should be a lot of confidence from the front office, coaching staff, or the skaters in Geogiev's ability to do that given his play.

Reactions: AVSfan2daMAX

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
It's my understanding that Tarantino is the leader of the feet fetish brigade.
I admit I maybe naively thought 7giev would try meditation or a new drug cocktail or something— anything — and maybe have a stronger run of form. But now I would rather have Quentin Tarantino’s foot fetish in net
From a predator named Beejoli Shah who is a career false accuser ... this creature went out to poison her targets and you carry it forward for her

MacKaRant

Sponsor
Jul 27, 2021
Every goalie gives up soft goals. Georgiev is giving up way too many this year and that’s the problem. Hellebuyck gave up softies in this game too
Reminds me of watching an over-the-hill Chris Osgood in the 2008 playoffs. He didn't make many spectacular saves, but he also didn't allow many cheap ones ("he made the saves he should have made"). And it was enough. This changed my perception of how good / how hot a goaltender needs to be to win a Cup, even with a team that's not a total wagon.

Reactions: the_fan

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Coaches definitely have a huge call to make about the Game 2 starter if Annunen is available.

I'm not sure I buy that coaches think if they sit Georgiev they lose him for the rest of the playoffs. They've given him weeks to play through his mental issues and it just hasn't happened. If anything, they have gotten worse. I think Georgiev understands his play has been bad and he's letting the team down, and some part of him would understand if they make a change. This doesn't preclude him from grabbing the net back later when Justus struggles.

Maybe we can't win the Cup with Annunen as the goalie. But we also can't win the Cup unless we get out of the first round, and I don't think there should be a lot of confidence from the front office, coaching staff, or the skaters in Geogiev's ability to do that given his play.
Their whole playbook signals that they know George won’t accept being a backup or having his job threatened. I think they know he’ll completely check out.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
From a predator named Beejoli Shah who is a career false accuser ... this creature went out to poison her targets and you carry it forward for her

Imagine tracking some foot fetish jokes in the middle of a hockey thread and feeling like the record has to be set straight. That's dedication to the craft.

I think it's sad that they don't realize he's already checked out.
Denial is tough

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad