Euro: R16: France v Switzerland, 6/28/2021

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Ok, then perhaps. ;)
I always get a laugh out of Italy fans downplaying how meaningful winning the euros is. Like, unless you're in your 70s, how would you know?

The one time they won the euros, England were the defending world cup champions...

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
375D8A68-E31F-49B7-AB44-E21116F80181.jpeg

:D

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
You shouldn't feel that way man. Too many on here think they know it all. Your opinions should be welcomed and even challenged sometimes. It's all part of having good discourse. Anyone who is against that is validating their bullshit beliefs.

By the way pick either the German league or Premier league (British) and just watch if you want to start somewhere.

Thanks for the support, and I'll take a look.

If you want to get into club soccer, the easiest way is to watch a few weeks of whatever league and naturally develop an attachment to a team. EPL is probably easiest for that in America but most big leagues are accessible if you have ESPN+.

Yeah I won't develop a team attachment but I'll give it a try. I'm the type of fan that would watch what is on, not follow a particular team; I form team loyalties very early in life and I never change teams, and at 40 years old now and with a family of my own, I cannot possibly claim to develop a strong emotional attachment for a pro team across the pond. But I can still watch and enjoy the game for what it is.

Honestly, MLS is an easy start. Any American or Canadian that claims to like football but refuses to support the domestic leagues is not much of a fan as far as I am concerned. I had plenty of fun at games in MLS and USL. Met great people and went on awesome road trips.

That's exactly why it would be wrong for me to claim I'm a real fan, because as of now, I'm not and I admit that.

Part of the reason is that while I'm American, my family has for many years primarily followed our ancestral countries in Europe when it comes to international football, and I kind of fell into that at WC and Euro events. At the World Cup, I support the Americans and my ancestral European countries.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Thanks for the support, and I'll take a look.

Yeah I won't develop a team attachment but I'll give it a try. I'm the type of fan that would watch what is on, not follow a particular team; I form team loyalties very early in life and I never change teams, and at 40 years old now and with a family of my own, I cannot possibly claim to develop a strong emotional attachment for a pro team across the pond. But I can still watch and enjoy the game for what it is.

That's exactly why it would be wrong for me to claim I'm a real fan, because as of now, I'm not and I admit that.

Part of the reason is that while I'm American, my family has for many years primarily followed our ancestral countries in Europe when it comes to international football, and I kind of fell into that at WC and Euro events. At the World Cup, I support the Americans and my ancestral European countries.

Try following this team without getting attached :yo:

...but seriously, football club passions are often illogical for people who weren't born into one. I think you might be surprised by how attached you get to a club after a short amount of time. So like others have said, the best wayto get into one is to just start watching random matches for a few weeks & seeing whom you gravitate towards.

Maybe ask for suggestions of fun teams to start with...cause odds are you won't enjoy yourself if you end watching a lot of Wolfsburg matches unless you are as invested in the development of Ridle Baku as I am :laugh:...but ultimately just follow your interest to find a club; a bunch of my american friends ended up deeply passionate about the weirdest German & English teams :laugh:

Last edited:

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Nope, it wasn't Pogba who was supposed to cover. Kante was standing and when Pogba lost the ball, him and Sissoko just stood and covered no passing lane. XHaka took quite a few second before making his pass, and nobody moved. There were 30 meters between the D and Pogba.l.

Of course, Pogba can't cover for himself when he loses the ball. It is inexplicable why Kante had pushed up so far to begin with. But the seam for the pass was only there because France turned the ball over in the 1st place. There's simply no excuse to be caught in transition in that game situation.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Why is everyone on French throats here. They are the world cup champions. Bad games happen. They will be better in Qatar.

The really awful bragging, boasting, and general arrogant statements by French media and ex players and celebs made lots of bad karma.
For example Barthez, ex goalie of France, tweeting something along the lines that Italy wasn't really a good team because it only played mediocre teams at the Euro, wasn't exactly a shining moment.
It's then fully understandable that when France gets sent packing by one of those "mediocre teams", the sky opens up and rightfully so. No one likes boasters and braggards. Everyone roots for them to crash and burn and that's what you are witnessing.

Deschamps was pretty classy, when asked about the loss he said that Switzerland nowadays is "one of the great European teams". Maybe the rest of the nation could learn a thing or two from him.

Reactions: Ajacied

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Of course not, but that's a quite telling number, isn't it?
How many assists then?
Messi had 2 against france on a shit team. I mean I thought we knew stats doesn’t tell the whole story. I expect this from some arsenal fans but I didn’t think I had to explain it to you. If you want to continue believing Mpabbe in 2018 was better than Messi in any international tournament more power to you. The rest live in reality. I leave you with the most obvious question you don’t even need to respond because I won’t. Swap their teams how does it end up?

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Messi had 2 against france on a shit team. I mean I thought we knew stats doesn’t tell the whole story. I expect this from some arsenal fans but I didn’t think I had to explain it to you. If you want to continue believing Mpabbe in 2018 was better than Messi in any international tournament more power to you. The rest live in reality. I leave you with the most obvious question you don’t even need to respond because I won’t. Swap their teams how does it end up?
Nah, of cours stats don't tell the whole story.
But remember YOU said Mbappe needed proving in the big games.
How stupid is that when he outplayed, outscored, outeverything Messi's WC CAREER in one single WC? At age 19?
The GOAT?

You know what I think about Messi and how I feel like his WC14 was underrated because of poor players around him. But Mbappe brought a lot more than goals too and was brilliant in 2018.

Reactions: Pouchkine

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
...I mean, Italy still hasn't beaten a top team. I was banging the drum about Austria & Switzerland being better than the english press was making them out to be, but beating Austria in ET doesn't tell us how they'll do against a Belgium, Spain, England or Germany who have just as much talent & depth if any of those big teams bring their a-game the way Austria & Switerland have in these knockouts.

I am by no means saying Italy doesn't have any chances of winning their 2nd european title, but that's a fair critique of the hype they were getting :dunno:

I'm all for ripping on the french, but it's unfair to not expect confidence when you've got that much talent coming through, lost the last EM in the final & won the last WM. Confidence & even arrogance aren't the same as bragging/boasting.

...it's not like they were picking their camp based on where the semifinal would be for the winner of their group & 'saving star players for later in the tournament'...

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
More than anything, finding a 50 year old former player who was acting cocky to paint a whole nation is a job of an idiot.
Nobody was arrogant or cocky. We also never bragged. Can't remember a single french player bragging.
The worst they said was that they had insane talent, which is a simple fact.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
I don't know if it was arrogance, but France certainly didn't play the game yesterday with a ton of focus. I think it'd be pretty easy to arrive at the conclusion that they didn't take Switzerland as seriously as they would have taken an Italy or Spain. As mentioned, the French team pushed into the Swiss half even in the last minute of the game with the lead in a knockout round.

There may have been some complacency for sure. It's easy for that to happen. A lot of major upsets have a 'false dawn' moment where the favorite seems to have overcome the challenge from the underdog and relaxes - while the underdogs have taken heart from their initial successes and understand they're still in it. Even at 3-2 and even having conceded an equalizer ruled out as offside, the French did not truly get into a 'battle' mindset and it felt like they thought they could just play out the match regularly, like a league match where both teams often accept the result toward the end of the match especially if it seems to be in line with the expectations prior to the match.

Reactions: dalewood12

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
Honestly, MLS is an easy start. Any American or Canadian that claims to like football but refuses to support the domestic leagues is not much of a fan as far as I am concerned. I had plenty of fun at games in MLS and USL. Met great people and went on awesome road trips.

MLS is terrible, you shouldn't advocate anyone to watch it in it's current state. Let alone a person who wants to get into the sport.
I also disagree with your statement that one should support their domestic league. Hogwash. Support whichever league you want. This isn't Nazis Germany.

Reactions: N o o d l e s

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
MLS is terrible, you shouldn't advocate anyone to watch it in it's current state. Let alone a person who wants to get into the sport.
I also disagree with your statement that one should support their domestic league. Hogwash. Support whichever league you want. This isn't Nazis Germany.

Imagine telling descendants of Italian, German, French, Brazilian, Argentine etc immigrants that they need to watch and support the mls or they’re not real soccer fans? :laugh:

Reactions: TheGreenTBer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad