GDT: R1:G3 | New York Islanders vs Carolina Hurricanes | April 25th | 7:30 PM | F/3-2 L

heatedskates

May 25, 2009
Canada
I'm so done with this core that I don't really care who they trade....As long as they don't give up more picks to get rid of those players.

That said if you trade Barzal then you might as well deal Nelson and then you are truly rebuilding as this team won't score like at all after that.
I think trading Barzal/Nelson/Palmeri and figuring out how to buyout Lee would be a very good step for this organization. A few lean years ahead but at least moving towards something positive. Barzal is good as your 2nd/3rd best forward. But as the guy that needs to drive the play and goals, he's just not that guy. Which is sad as skill wise he has the tools.

Reactions: periferal

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
FL traded a FWD and D for a FWD and D. It’s totally changed them and pushed them forward. The isles can do the same.

Flip Barzal and Pelech/Pulock to OTT for Tkachuk and Churkin (not a fan but…) as an example.

Lou is never making a move like that so your dream of Barzal being jettisoned is a fantasy until he's jettisoned.

You can keep Nelson in a trade like that.

This team will never be contenders again while Nelson is putting up 20+ goals so he should be traded no matter what.

Reactions: Ishkabible

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Where was this nights team during the 2nd half of game 2? They would have actually won that one with a sustained effort like that.
They did the same thing vs NyR in the Stadium Series.

I would LMAO if that strategy in Game 2 was based on some spreadsheet.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Lou is never making a move like that so your dream of Barzal being jettisoned is a fantasy until he's jettisoned.

This team will never be contenders again while Nelson is putting up 20+ goals so he should be traded no matter what.
It’s all fantasy until it happens. No one saw the FL trading coming. Same with the Weber trade, etc.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
It’s all fantasy until it happens. No one saw the FL trading coming. Same with the Weber trade, etc.

Are you talking about the Huberdeau/Tkachuk trade? No one saw it coming, but Florida has been all in the past few years so you could predict they'd be in on any big time player. Same with Vegas.

On the other hand Lou is trading for guys like Engvall and giving them 7 year deals.

So you may not know the specifics of any deal, but you know how GM's work...And Lou ain't trading players he just signed until 2030+.

give horvat the C.

Give Lou an F.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Definitely let the score get to their heads and the feet stopped moving.
We would have all been ok if they won that one and then got shut down in the 3rd completely with this one. They atleast generated chances tonight but as usual, they get a hot goalie who has no business making 3/4 of those lucky saves that he did.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Are you talking about the Huberdeau/Tkachuk trade? No one saw it coming, but Florida has been all in the past few years so you could predict they'd be in on any big time player. Same with Vegas.

On the other hand Lou is trading for guys like Engvall and giving them 7 year deals.

So you may not know the specifics of any deal, but you know how GM's work...And Lou ain't trading players he just signed until 2030+.

Give Lou an F.
They dumped a homegrown fancy passer when they saw it was getting them anywhere. The Isles should do the same.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
They dumped a homegrown fancy passer when they saw it was getting them anywhere. The Isles should do the same.

You're missing the point. It's not about the player - It's about the GM. And teams like the Panthers and Knights are about polar opposites to how Lou works.

As long as he's GM Barzal will be here too.

Reactions: ViD

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
You’re telling me the primary reason they lost tonight wasn’t the goaltending? 2 of the goals against NEED to be stopped.

Ilya sucked tonight. He’s the reason they lost.
Now that my rage has subsided, I was probably too harsh on him… I stand by the fact that he had a bad game… but he’ll be back next year

CBG

Jan 7, 2018
Want to know what was worse than watching this game and losing tonight ? That little winning streak at the trade deadline was worse, why ? It gave false hope and no moves were made, no players were unloaded and no draft picks were brought in. Want to know what else was worse ? That little wining streak at the end of the season which got this team into the playoffs, why ? Because it again gave false hope and made some people believe that this team was somehow better than they actually are and now we get to see them swept out of the playoffs by one of the better teams in the league that the Islanders can not compete with.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Want to know what was worse than watching this game and losing tonight ? That little winning streak at the trade deadline was worse, why ? It gave false hope and no moves were made, no players were unloaded and no draft picks were brought in. Want to know what else was worse ? That little wining streak at the end of the season which got this team into the playoffs, why ? Because it again gave false hope and made some people believe that this team was somehow better than they actually are and now we get to see them swept out of the playoffs by one of the better teams in the league that the Islanders can not compete with.

I'm more angry how bad all these other series are. We might end up with like 4 or 5 sweeps in R1 lol....it was one of those years a bunch of teams who were not ready yet or just not that good got into the playoffs

Reactions: chico19341

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
Now that my rage has subsided, I was probably too harsh on him… I stand by the fact that he had a bad game… but he’ll be back next year
Unfortunately, Roy opting to sit Varly was a mistake. You're not wrong. He should've been able to stop two of those three. For Sorokin, Barzal and Nelson, they needed to play to their contracts. Sorokin didn't tonight and Barzal and Nelson haven't in this series.

Pelech and Pageau have not had good seasons. Pelech is probably the game two goat and Pageau hasn't won a Dzone right dot face off in a month or so. It's no secret and every icing has resulted in the other team taking the right dot draw.Trade them both.

Dobson's inability to retrieve a puck has been a problem all season. There are three coaches on the payroll to address this. Fire them.

Why are we playing a 3rd line center on the first line and an AHL player on the second line? Was there not an actual NHL player available for a mid round draft pick?

Reactions: Throttle

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

Your point is well taken, but if the Isles lost 7 in a row heading towards the deadline he still wouldn't have sold off any players. He literally only knows one gear when GMing and that's adding talent - Not subtracting it and building through youth.

Until we have a new GM you're going to continue to get more and more "ok" talent added via draft pick trades...And then more picks wasted to dump contracts to free up cap space (because Lou has put us up against it).

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Lou not making a deal the deadline was Lou giving this team another ‘as is.’ They make it, great. If not, they have their 1st rounder.

Not Selling Martin and Clutterbuck is not a big deal.

Reactions: Lek

Lights911

Dec 5, 2017
Long Island
Figured they would lose to the Canes, but disappointed in the way its happened. The stars of this team (Barzal, Horvat, Dobson) have gone silent and Sorokin is a completely different player.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
From a fan standpoint - it sucks to be swept in the first round, but from an operational stand point - however the team makes some $ making the playoffs and for a team that has historically struggled with finances - I'm OK with that. Also, picking between 13 or 14 and 16 or 17 is not a big difference at all.

This sweep should highlight to Mgmt that changes are needed to move this team forward - staying the course or bringing back they boys is NOT an option. Teams around them will be improving over the summer and they need to move forward too.

I suspect some big changes this summer - key changes this summer.

Reactions: Lek

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Just finished watching the game.

The first period was pretty good aside from the soft goals that were given up. It's a shame Sorokin couldn't get his game together. The first one really pissed me off because I think Barzal and Reilly had an opportunity to block it and just opted not to. The others were just so soft. The defense were reversing the puck and taking their time with breakouts and it was neutralizing Carolina's forecheck. Offensively the defense were very aggressive and were pinching quite low to keep pressure on the puck, and it was working very well. Carolina didn't get many fast breaks that period. The cycle game was strong and the Islanders were working the puck below the goal line, and Lee was doing very well. Not a ton of grade a chances off of it but I think it was causing Carolina some issues and would've led to something.

Then the second period happened. Pretty much everything I liked about the first period went away. It seemed to stem from when Lee (I think) broke his stick and they spent an extended shift in their own end. From then on it was just like the previous games, just tossing the puck up the wall or into the neutral zone and changing. The D to D reverses were gone and the breakouts were terrible. There was a play where I think Pulock was skating the puck up through the neutral zone, he had Pelech in the middle of the ice behind him, and even though he was getting angled off he decided to keep going. He had to panic throw the puck forward, it was a turnover, and Carolina came back the other way. I don't understand the point in those plays and we see them all the time. Just take what's given, give it back to the Pelech and make a controlled entry.

They recovered well in the third period but couldn't generate much and the chances they did have they couldn't capitalize. We've seen this before so I don't think any of us were surprised.

Engvall was the best forward for the Islanders. Palmieri, Lee, and MacLean had strong outings as well. The entire Barzal line was awful again. Pageau? Has anyone seen Pageau? Fasching was worse than Holmstrom and Martin shouldn't be playing, give me anyone else.

Defensively I thought pretty much every did a nice job. Dobson still has his hiccups and Bortuzzo is what he is but nobody was making really egregious decisions with the puck. It's a shame we didn't see this in games one and two.

Go back with Varlamov for game 4 and see if they can eek one out and give some of you who will be there something to cheer for at least.

scottywiper

Dec 2, 2018
Been an interesting week for yours truly. Three times the Islanders have left me gutted, only for the Nuggets to pick me up a few hours later. But if I had a choice I'd much rather see Isles win. I much prefer watching NHL. Egos in NBA are out of control.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad