GDT: R1:G1 | New York Islanders @ Carolina Hurricanes | April 20th | 5 PM | F/L 3-1

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
“You find that you have peace of mind and can enjoy yourself, get more sleep, and rest when you know that it was a 100% effort that you gave—win or lose.”

-Gordie Howe

Svechnikov is a fantastic player. Man, what a gamer. Wish we had him.

An ancient quote from a bygone era. Look, I don't disagree. But I don't think it's a very modern mindset.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
“You find that you have peace of mind and can enjoy yourself, get more sleep, and rest when you know that it was a 100% effort that you gave—win or lose.”

-Gordie Howe

Svechnikov is a fantastic player. Man, what a gamer. Wish we had him.

Worse is knowing that Carolina got him by winning the second lottery spot right between the Isles picks.

19 Straight

Jan 25, 2006
New Jersey
Question. I have not been very active on this board this season, but have been lately for the late season push and now the playoffs. Where is everybody? In the past we'd have 30+ pages for a playoff game and we barely have 20 today. Where did everybody go? I don't see posts from many people who were active posters in years past.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
Question. I have not been very active on this board this season, but have been lately for the late season push and now the playoffs. Where is everybody? In the past we'd have 30+ pages for a playoff game and we barely have 20 today. Where did everybody go? I don't see posts from many people who were active posters in years past.

I'm intentionally not participating because the GDTs are all emotion and no perspective. it's f***ing exhausting to me. So I've been watching the games then coming to comment afterwards. And during Game 3 an 4, I'll be at the game.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
I thought Martin played well today. The whole fourth line did. I think the key to this series is to wear them down physically if possible and Martin is a key component in that strategy. If he appears tanked in Game 2, then sure, make the change. Otherwise, keep those guys in and decide between Fasching and Holmstrom.

Yeah, but you can't expect that. They don't even call that in the regular season.
I think the NhL needs to get out in front of it.

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
Worse is knowing that Carolina got him by winning the second lottery spot right between the Isles picks.

Being between the picks has nothing to do with the lottery selection. They assign four digit numbers to every team in accordance with their odds, and then the lottery is based on that.

The Islanders weren’t in any way ‘close’ to winning. It’s no different than if some other team won.

Zeeker

Feb 15, 2016
You’ll notice that most people who post here have done so for years. When you don’t have a steady inflow of new posters to balance out the exodus to the modern forums of the internet…

Also, HF is a bit of an old boys’ club, where the newer you are, the less leeway you’re given (or at worst, the lesser you’re thought of). I think doing away with Join Date visibility might be a bit helpful towards getting away from that.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
Isles were the better team. Carolina got the bounces. Play the same way in game 2 and I like their chances.

Oh and the diving by the Hurricanes players was an embarrassment. They should be ashamed of themselves.

Diving needs to be an automatic suspension. Don’t care what team it is, there is no place for that in this sport. Unfortunately for Carolina they would have 10 guys suspended pretty quickly.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Are you replying directly to me or just using it my post for your own agenda?

You mean like a few days ago when I said, “See you in a week bitches” over my excitement with this team making the playoffs, but you ignored that post and replied to another to further you agenda?

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
I never liked a game being decided by a PP goal on a power play that never should have been called...

That being said, you certainly can't complain about it when the Islanders missed so many chances...

If you don't count the shutout goal in the loss to the Rangers a week ago, we were 16-1 in our last 17 games when we give up 3 goals or less.

This is a game we "had" been winning...

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
You mean like a few days ago when I said, “See you in a week bitches” over my excitement with this team making the playoffs, but you ignored that post and replied to another to further you agenda?

Well, as I said earlier, I haven't been participating the GDTs while the game is on. So if you posted that, I missed it. But you must admit, you and excitement for this team are not exactly well-acquainted entities.

Reactions: Levi Walking Bear

Poulin 0n My St1ck

Oct 18, 2010
I’ve wondered the same thing for most of the season, especially the last 10 games or so.

I lurk almost every day, but life has been very busy so I don’t post as much as I used to. Plus, it’s been a very frustrating season so that, combined with a busy schedule, and I haven’t chimed in as much as used to.

Also, posting and reading on website by phone is insufferable. By the time I’m done typing a sentence, the page refreshes.

MarsTBOW

Jun 30, 2014
Ct.
Diving needs to be an automatic suspension. Don’t care what team it is, there is no place for that in this sport. Unfortunately for Carolina they would have 10 guys suspended pretty quickly.

I disagree, then suspending players will become a tool even more.
If this rule existed Barzy gets suspended because he has a rep for barking too much and never gets the benefit of the doubt.
Last thing we need to do is give them even More Power to cancel players....
It would get abused

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Frustrating outcome, but I thought they played well for the most part (Pelech's rushed clear attempt on the 1st goal was really, really bad). That game could have easily gone the other way. Try to get them next game.

I hate watching games at CAR. I mean, all fans complain about calls, but that's the whiniest arena in the league by far. I watched the game on delay and was trying to catch up and didn't want to rewind/replay, but there was one play where the whole arena was up in arms because a CAR player went down. On the live look I had it appeared to me that he was holding the Isles' player's stick and tried to pull him down - it looked like it may have been a missed call against them, if anything. But again, I just saw it once at game speed and may have been seeing things (like the CAR fans!). Anybody get a good look at that one?

And yeah, the embellishment is embarrassing. What did Trotz used to say - it's a man's game? Well, not always apparently.

Taswell

Oct 4, 2017
Was a winnable game...better than I expected. Keep playing like that.

Time to shift into rooting for Boston mode.

Reactions: Symon Asher

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Thought they played pretty well overall but the same issues plague them.

Barzal was the weak link on the first line, which is a terrible sign but also means it can improve dramatically if he gets going. He didn't do generate much of anything and the opportunities he did have were squandered because he's not a good finisher. Horvat had moments that were good but it just wasn't good enough. We need them both to step up here, especially with Pageau out.

Nelson is another one of the big guns that needs to step up. He had some chances but he wasn't dictating play enough.

Lee, MacLean, Holmstrom, and Palmieri stood out with their effort level tonight and we'll need more of that.

Varlamov played well again, even though that second goal was a bit rough with him being so deep in the net, it did redirect a couple times before it was shot. Ride him for game 2.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
I stopped commenting when the Isles went on that last losing streak just before they started the final winning streak. It was too draining here. It's like 90% negativity. I don't have high hopes for this playoff series, and makes it worse to come here and read the same annoying 'smartest man in the room - Monday morning QB' bullshit that makes up 90% of the threads. I mean, mods can't do much. You can't ban every miserable person, but I think it's fair to say it's chased off most of the rational posters.

Back to being a lurker...

Last edited:

PhysicalGraffiti

Bolts STM
Jul 26, 2007
NY to TB
Need some better players on the 3rd and 4th line. I just don't think Martin has anything left to give, and Clutter isn't scoring. But it seems like we have so very few scoring threats playing a team with a hot goalie.

Idk. Frustrating game. Series is far from over and we played with them better than I thought.

Ugh. Was looking forward to the game all day and just stinks we lost.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Frustrating outcome, but I thought they played well for the most part (Pelech's rushed clear attempt on the 1st goal was really, really bad). That game could have easily gone the other way. Try to get them next game.

I hate watching games at CAR. I mean, all fans complain about calls, but that's the whiniest arena in the league by far. I watched the game on delay and was trying to catch up and didn't want to rewind/replay, but there was one play where the whole arena was up in arms because a CAR player went down. On the live look I had it appeared to me that he was holding the Isles' player's stick and tried to pull him down - it looked like it may have been a missed call against them, if anything. But again, I just saw it once at game speed and may have been seeing things (like the CAR fans!). Anybody get a good look at that one?

And yeah, the embellishment is embarrassing. What did Trotz used to say - it's a man's game? Well, not always apparently.
I too was very impressed with the way they came out and played tonight, especially how they controlled play in the 2nd.

Lots of great chances - they just needed to cash in on them, especially early on when Freddie looked very shaky and then he was standing on his head.

Pelech needed to take that further around the net - poise and calm are his attributes just a bizarre play by him.
Weak call on Lee, but I thought the PK was better after that.

Lee was a beast tonight - his best game of the year.
4th line was good too tonight.

They need to stay physical and wear them down.

Encouraged by what I saw tonight, but what is frustrating is this could have been the game they could have easily stolen.
Isles clearly the better team and Carolina will definitely see it that way - I hope this game was not a wake-up call to them.

I would strongly consider reuniting 27 with 13 and 14 - I think they are going to have score goals in the paint this series... it won't be pretty - pretty goals off the counter will be few and far between. Reuniting 18 with 21 and 29 and 32 with 15 and 17.
If 44 can go - put 53 and 10 on his wings. Varly played well and should get the next start.

Reactions: Poulin 0n My St1ck

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad